Serious ? What is the case for keeping PP? | The Boneyard

Serious ? What is the case for keeping PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than the "he's only been here two years and needs time with his guys" reason, I can honestly not come up with another reason. I am obviously in the court of getting rid of him and therefore completely biased and looking for some perspective from the 'Yard.

What other good reasons are out there? Seriously.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only other reason to keep him is when you are in conference realignment hell recruiting the top candidates is more difficult. If you felt you'd have a better affiliation next season it may prove fruitful to wait another season.

Reaction Score
Other than the "he's only been here two years and needs time with his guys" reason, I can honestly not come up with another reason. I am obviously in the court of getting rid of him and therefore completely biased and looking for some perspective from the 'Yard.

You have provided the answer. There was no reason to think that P was going to be able to win with "Edsall's players when we hired him, so 5-7, 5-7 hasn't told us anything yet.

Reaction Score
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but perhaps there is some fear that an attractive coach would not want to come to work for a fickle AD who would not give a new coach a chance. One could make the argument that it takes at least 3 years to make a marked difference on a program. We don't remember Edsall for his first 3 years in the program, I imagine.

Reaction Score

The argument I read, is that we would have players recruited by three different staffs.

I think that would be outweighed by the fact that, oh, the program is coming apart at the seams and we set records for apathy every week.

This AD is just completely unimpressive. He is completely afraid of making a decision and taking charge.

Reaction Score
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but perhaps there is some fear that an attractive coach would not want to come to work for a fickle AD who would not give a new coach a chance. One could make the argument that it takes at least 3 years to make a marked difference on a program. We don't remember Edsall for his first 3 years in the program, I imagine.

We get a pass for the fickle AD accusation. Anyone paying attention to this coach can see that he is not bonding with the program and that nobody believes in what he is doing.

Reaction Score
You have provided the answer. There was no reason to think that P was going to be able to win with "Edsall's players when we hired him, so 5-7, 5-7 hasn't told us anything yet.
Even with this schedule?

Take our three best wins - Louisville, Terps and Pitt. Then add in garbage wins against Buffalo and UMass. Then garbage losses to USF, Temple, Western Michigan and NC State. We should have seven or eight wins this year

Reaction Score
with next yr being the last automatic bcs bid & all this conf realignment, i don't see warde letting him go just so he can show that we have the "appearance of stability".
most of us would like to see GDL gone. with all the spread offenses being run & PP liking the pro-set, for the sake of argument, who could he bring in to match his philosophy and at the same time bring an exciting brand of f-ball to the program?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We absolutely would get a pass on fickle AD as our current AD is not the guy who brought the current HC here.

There is however the strong possibility that many quality candidates are thinking "how does taking this job make any sense if I have no idea where they will be playing in another year or two?".

Reaction Score
Biggest reason? You don't fire a coach after two years of going 5-7. That's not enough time. Especially when he inherits no offensive skill players. Maybe Ryan, but no one to throw to him. I would be happy to see PP go right now. But in answer to your question, 2 is not enough time. Another year of this, he's gone. I'm sure he knows that.

Reaction Score
Biggest reason? You don't fire a coach after two years of going 5-7. That's not enough time. Especially when he inherits no offensive skill players. Maybe Ryan, but no one to throw to him. I would be happy to see PP go right now. But in answer to your question, 2 is not enough time. Another year of this, he's gone. I'm sure he knows that.
Even with this schedule? That's what I don't get about that argument given who we played this year

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only other reason to keep him is when you are in conference realignment hell recruiting the top candidates is more difficult. If you felt you'd have a better affiliation next season it may prove fruitful to wait another season.
This was one of the things that was so disappointing about ACC non-invite and one of the things that are so devastating about staying in the Big East. Best case scenario the UConn football head coach is transitory stop if we pick the right up and comer. You can argue that it is a destination job for MBB or WBB.

Reaction Score
This was one of the things that was so disappointing about ACC non-invite and one of the things that are so devastating about staying in the Big East. Best case scenario the UConn football head coach is transitory stop if we pick the right up and comer. You can argue that it is a destination job for MBB or WBB.
Don't kid yourself. Uconn is now officially a stepping stone. Like Cincy (which should be our near term goal to emulate). Any young coach that does well here will move on.

Reaction Score
Even with this schedule?

Take our three best wins - Louisville, Terps and Pitt. Then add in garbage wins against Buffalo and UMass. Then garbage losses to USF, Temple, Western Michigan and NC State. We should have seven or eight wins this year

I didn't say he should be back. I said that would be the reason to retain him. Those are two very different things. Give me an hour to get 241 up and you'll see what I sent.

Reaction Score
Even with this schedule? That's what I don't get about that argument given who we played this year
Yes, even with our schedule. The usual model is 3 years, minimum. Average is between 3 and 4. Anything less than three and you look a little wild eyed. Not always a bad thing, btw, but often a bad thing.

Reaction Score
you have to look at what he's done to UConn and his las 3 years Syracuse to realize it's best to let him go now. Promote D. Brown with his aggression type defense I'm sure he's going going bring someone with similar aggression on offense.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
DeLeone absolutely positively has to go. I'm on the fence about PP, citing the whole "wait until he gets 'his' guys in there" argument.

Reaction Score
Yes, even with our schedule. The usual model is 3 years, minimum. Average is between 3 and 4. Anything less than three and you look a little wild eyed. Not always a bad thing, btw, but often a bad thing.
Agree on the fact that 2 years is pushing it....that's why I agree with what many have been calling for here-a "happy" medium of keeping PP but requiring that he let go the "orchestrator" of our offense.

Reaction Score
The argument is that there is probably already a very small number of candidates who would be interested in this job, and that pool will be even smaller when they see a coach fired after two years of going 5-7.

It doesn't matter what we think about the AD being "fickle", it's what the other coaches think that matters.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
DeLeone absolutely positively has to go. I'm on the fence about PP, citing the whole "wait until he gets 'his' guys in there" argument.
What "guys" are going to come in and be able to throw and catch? We haven't found a competent QB and WR in over 6 years now. Whitmer is one of PP's guys. Every week I channel surf and watch some CAA game or another, the offenses are miles ahead of ours.

Reaction Score
What "guys" are going to come in and be able to throw and catch? We haven't found a competent QB and WR in over 6 years now. Whitmer is one of PP's guys. Every week I channel surf and watch some CAA game or another, the offenses are miles ahead of ours.
Whitmer is more than capable of providing a legitimate passing threat at QB. Physically. His problem coming in was his decision-making about when to NOT throw a ball. Unfortunately, this staff hasn't seemed to really help him with this. He did make some progress in this area, but not to the extent he should have IMO. Hopefully that will come around come Spring Football and carry over into next year. I think we are fine with our current stable of WR's and Whitmer. We aren't "scary" in that area of course, but fine. Our problem was the way DeLeone decimated our O-Line and wiped out any legitimate threat of a running game. You can be successful with an awesome passing game, or an awesome running game, or with a solid mixture of both. Our problem on offense was trying to win with respectable passing game personnel and a non-existent running game. Damn you GDL.

Reaction Score

This is BS ... Gary.

This is Bigtime sports. You fire Mike Brown in 6 games. If you see that we are going to drop continuously in this FRAGILE new Program & take a serious hit to our longterm viability (ie Conference Realignment), you don't play games with this 2 years isn't enough time. (and to hell with the Connecticut HS coaches).

Reaction Score
I can't think of one reason to keep him.

He is the poster child for us being irrelevant(to other conferences).

Reaction Score
If you keep PP, you have to make a statement that two consecutive losing seasons with little positives to carry into year three is not acceptable. GDL has to be demoted or shown the door. That's how WM stands up and shows that he has control of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom