Serious Question How Many Years to I Got

Look I am 68 years young, with a history of cardiovascular disease in my family. I exercise more than most my age having done marathons and triathlons, but arthritis, bad knees, have done in my running career. My BP remains normal but my cholesterol has creeped up enough the last few years to go on 20 mg simvastatin. My retirement questionnaire said I could live to be 92.6 years (like the 92 but the 0.6 sounds like hell). I am hoping to outlast Danny Hurley's tenure as HC - just say'n!
Join any gym that has a stair climber, it's much easier on the knees than pounding the pavement, and calorie for calorie it's a much harder cardiovascular work out than a treadmill. I know a lot of older former runners who do the stairs now.

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
So now I'm getting these adds: "Gut Connection", Tempur-Pedic", "Silver Gel with Aloe Vera", New Knee Aid Going Viral by Arthrozene" and "Biltmore Gardens Railway"!

Just glad I'm not getting funeral home or casket ads or scrotal abscess ads.

I'm bumpin' up against 74. Had 2 heart attacks before I was 50. None since, but have had a quad bypass + a stent in the last decade. Surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm 11 years ago. Diabetic, too. Men on my father's side of the family have crappy arteries in general. My father and his brother both died of cerebral hemorrhage. One brother shares my peripheral artery disease, as did my grandfather. Other brother has had two different (thoracic and ascending) aortic aneurysms, one of which ruptured. Oh yeah, I have an extra-anatomic, axillary/bi-femoral graft. And we won't even get into the old stuff that tried to kill me 50 years ago.

Some (maybe most) mornings, waking up is just a pleasant surprise.

But I still expect to see #5, dammit!
Keep Fort-ing the ead!

RichZ

Whistling through the graveyard
A thread about croaking. Awesome. Already got a burial plot set.
Given the history of our family, my brothers and I did that 20 years ago. That none of us has used his yet is more than mildly surprising.

Given the history of our family, my brothers and I did that 20 years ago. That none of us has used his yet is more than mildly surprising.
Modern medicine is incredible.

Not to be too discouraging but how many men do you know that are older than 85? 90?

I don't care what some questionnaire says, men just don't live that long. We are lucky to make it into our 80's.

Women on the other hand, live a lot longer. I know plenty well into their 80's and early 90's.

I wish you good health and a high quality of life until its your time...
My next door neighbor is 93, ex Marine, fought at Guadalcanal and Peleliu. Told me Peleliu made Okinawa seem like a party. My father in-law is 89 and a guy I see at the gym everyday is 86.

No guaranteed tickets in life but today’s cholesterol and bp drugs have got to be helpful. Been on statins forever and just went on bp. when I told my doctor that I didn’t want to have to take a bp pill he said “ don’t worry I take 3!”.
My father took blood pressure and cholesterol meds for probably 60 years. Lived to be 101 yrs old, and lived at home. Definitely the biggest game changer in terms of life expectancy in the rx family for non life threatening type trauma situations etc.

Death clock says I have 5 more years (puts me at 67) but says average would be 77. So I’m thinking 72.

Last edited:
Look I am 68 years young, with a history of cardiovascular disease in my family. I exercise more than most my age having done marathons and triathlons, but arthritis, bad knees, have done in my running career. My BP remains normal but my cholesterol has creeped up enough the last few years to go on 20 mg simvastatin. My retirement questionnaire said I could live to be 92.6 years (like the 92 but the 0.6 sounds like hell). I am hoping to outlast Danny Hurley's tenure as HC - just say'n!
None of us is guaranteed tomorrow never mind 20 years. Live the best and happiest life you can and appreciate the ones you love is all you can do. A favorite quote of mine is:
"If death is than I am not. If I am then death is not. Why concern myself with something that cant exist whilst I do?" Enjoy the time you have.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
My grandfather brothers and sisters all lived to their late 80's and early 90's but of course my grandfather died at 60 but he was a big smoker and drinker, which I am not either. So there is hope, but heck I could get crushed by a car tomorrow

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Join any gym that has a stair climber, it's much easier on the knees than pounding the pavement, and calorie for calorie it's a much harder cardiovascular work out than a treadmill. I know a lot of older former runners who do the stairs now.
Good thought!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
So now I'm getting these adds: "Gut Connection", Tempur-Pedic", "Silver Gel with Aloe Vera", New Knee Aid Going Viral by Arthrozene" and "Biltmore Gardens Railway"!

Just glad I'm not getting funeral home or casket ads or scrotal abscess ads.
I work in the pharmaceutical industry and have been getting this stuff for years minus scrotal abcesses!!

"What exactly is cardiovascular disease?" You know the relationship between aspirin and heart functionality right? Okay, I'll stop - we wouldn't want to interfere with truths.

The heart is a pump with valves -made up of cells. As long as your valves seem to be working properly (can be viewed nicely with the newer TEE devices - even in color. Then... we begin to address cell health (biochemically). As I have learned health is physical/mechanical and biochemical. So that is how imo it should be addressed. The only caveat to to that is the gnome. 25,000 genes - 600 'survival' genes... (your blue prints) ...(deoxyribonucleic acid) now what can we do with that? Well.. genes 'express' themselves and produce enzymes that serve bodily function. For example: fibrosis (the making of scar tissue). But... genes can overproduce - as well as underproduce... both lead to problems. Gene regulation is optimal... and again there is a ton of science showing how this is done. Nutrition is an enormous component to health and longevity - and it is not the 4 or 5 food groups as many have been led to believe. It is 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 amino acids and 3 essential fatty acids - along with lots of cholesterol. Cholesterol is THE food for the brain (myelin sheath). Enough EFA rids the body of the excess/unwanted. Without enough the sheath softens and recedes.... and some form of dementia comes on (temporal lobe). Verify/research this. AD didn't exist in patients until they were told in the late 60's/early 70's to lower their cholesterol levels. By 1979 AD was announced as a new disease and put in the books. I believe it was G. Alzheimer. I think it was Harvard medical school if memory serves me.

Most importantly, there is nothing to fear. Live a good life - be kind - be positive - make good choices - help those less fortunate than you. Give some focus to the helping of others in need - it's the greatest high for me. Don't worry or stress... that just reduces your joy and lifespan.
Interesting read, especially regarding how genes chemically express themselves. As for Alzheimer’s, a couple of thoughts, although I haven’t studied the disease in-depth. The increased incidents may in part be due to people living longer. Previously, some other fast moving diseases (cancer, heart disease, etc) might have killed someone before Alzheimer’s set in.
Cholesterol is multi faceted with HDL and LDL. It definitely is related to genetics, activity and diet. I agree our knowledge of its impacts are not as great as the prescription costs.

I take Bayer’s Men’s Health vitamins once a day which is loaded with key vitamins. Additionally, I drink OJ with pulp and have strawberries, salads with tomatoes or an apple for lunch. My dinner formula are a work in progress. I believe in beef and chicken protein. I have started to include green beans as a side when I go out and that has been a recent dietary adjustment. Note, OJ gives me natural vitamin C for my immune system and tomatoes are a great food for the prostrate.
The miracle cure that Chief stumbled by accident upon was Lovaza, a Norwegian sourced pharmaceuticals fish oil, prescribed for triglycerides. What Chief found out after a month, was that my persistent lower back pain,that I had for years, vanished. Lovaza was the only change I had made at the time. Chief researched the matter and found that cold water fish oil have some anti inflammatory properties but this particular brand is remarkable and off the charts. It’s an expensive brand and insurance companies will try to switch you to the ineffective generic brands from fish farms. Chief won his appeal on that by making the case that it wasn’t equivalent because the genetic brand did not have where it was sourced on the label so it wasn’t equivalent. Cold water fish have different properties than warm water fish and you can tolerate the two differently. The other challenge is my triglycerides levels have been low for years now so my doctor sometimes brings up the subject of taking me off this magic natural medication but I literally tell my story again and beg him to keep me on it.
This post is long now, but not to be like Diaco but Chief thinks natural vitamin D from sunlight is very important especially for bone health (allows bones to absorb calcium) and helps reduce risks of the most fatal cancers. The dermatologist, who narrowly looked at the skin exposure issue - did us all a disservice - a story for another day.

Last edited: