Serious Question How Many Years to I Got

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Look I am 68 years young, with a history of cardiovascular disease in my family. I exercise more than most my age having done marathons and triathlons, but arthritis, bad knees, have done in my running career. My BP remains normal but my cholesterol has creeped up enough the last few years to go on 20 mg simvastatin. My retirement questionnaire said I could live to be 92.6 years (like the 92 but the 0.6 sounds like hell). I am hoping to outlast Danny Hurley's tenure as HC - just say'n!

Dove

Son of Wayne. Friend of Tony.
Eddie....I hope you make it to 93. Seriously. You're good folk.

Look I am 68 years young, with a history of cardiovascular disease in my family. I exercise more than most my age having done marathons and triathlons, but arthritis, bad knees, have done in my running career. My BP remains normal but my cholesterol has creeped up enough the last few years to go on 20 mg simvastatin. My retirement questionnaire said I could live to be 92.6 years (like the 92 but the 0.6 sounds like hell). I am hoping to outlast Danny Hurley's tenure as HC - just say'n!
20 minutes?

RichZ

Whistling through the graveyard
I'm bumpin' up against 74. Had 2 heart attacks before I was 50. None since, but have had a quad bypass + a stent in the last decade. Surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm 11 years ago. Diabetic, too. Men on my father's side of the family have crappy arteries in general. My father and his brother both died of cerebral hemorrhage. One brother shares my peripheral artery disease, as did my grandfather. Other brother has had two different (thoracic and ascending) aortic aneurysms, one of which ruptured. Oh yeah, I have an extra-anatomic, axillary/bi-femoral graft. And we won't even get into the old stuff that tried to kill me 50 years ago.

Some (maybe most) mornings, waking up is just a pleasant surprise.

But I still expect to see #5, dammit!

Not to be too discouraging but how many men do you know that are older than 85? 90?

I don't care what some questionnaire says, men just don't live that long. We are lucky to make it into our 80's.

Women on the other hand, live a lot longer. I know plenty well into their 80's and early 90's.

I wish you good health and a high quality of life until its your time...

I am 62 and just got put on statins 20mg daily as my ldl is a bit over the limit and I have a bad family history with my Dad passing at 58. Can not run anymore but walk often. I love eggs! Tonight the news said naps are good so that's a plus. Good luck Ed. Family history is the biggest red flag and hard to beat. I just hope I live long enough to see Trump out of office.

No guaranteed tickets in life but today’s cholesterol and bp drugs have got to be helpful. Been on statins forever and just went on bp. when I told my doctor that I didn’t want to have to take a bp pill he said “ don’t worry I take 3!”.

You should start a swimming career. 0 impact and I never have never any pain when I swim. When I run, my knee feels like it’s going to explode for days after.

Serious answer. If you have life insurance, what did they rate you (Preferred Plus, Preferred, Standard) do you smoke ant tobacco products, and when was your life insurance policy issued. From there I can give you a conservative estimate based on Actuarial tables.

"What exactly is cardiovascular disease?" You know the relationship between aspirin and heart functionality right? Okay, I'll stop - we wouldn't want to interfere with truths.

The heart is a pump with valves -made up of cells. As long as your valves seem to be working properly (can be viewed nicely with the newer TEE devices - even in color. Then... we begin to address cell health (biochemically). As I have learned health is physical/mechanical and biochemical. So that is how imo it should be addressed. The only caveat to to that is the gnome. 25,000 genes - 600 'survival' genes... (your blue prints) ...(deoxyribonucleic acid) now what can we do with that? Well.. genes 'express' themselves and produce enzymes that serve bodily function. For example: fibrosis (the making of scar tissue). But... genes can overproduce - as well as underproduce... both lead to problems. Gene regulation is optimal... and again there is a ton of science showing how this is done. Nutrition is an enormous component to health and longevity - and it is not the 4 or 5 food groups as many have been led to believe. It is 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 amino acids and 3 essential fatty acids - along with lots of cholesterol. Cholesterol is THE food for the brain (myelin sheath). Enough EFA rids the body of the excess/unwanted. Without enough the sheath softens and recedes.... and some form of dementia comes on (temporal lobe). Verify/research this. AD didn't exist in patients until they were told in the late 60's/early 70's to lower their cholesterol levels. By 1979 AD was announced as a new disease and put in the books. I believe it was G. Alzheimer. I think it was Harvard medical school if memory serves me.

Most importantly, there is nothing to fear. Live a good life - be kind - be positive - make good choices - help those less fortunate than you. Give some focus to the helping of others in need - it's the greatest high for me. Don't worry or stress... that just reduces your joy and lifespan.

The longer you live the more your life expectency goes up, if you make it to 92 your life expectency will go up to 98 (just an example).

prankster

Twister Member
The longer you live the more your life expectency goes up, if you make it to 92 your life expectency will go up to 98 (just an example).
Them thats gots, gets.

I tried the Death Clock, gave me 10 years 2 months - ugh.

Tried the SSA calculator, gave me 13 years 5 months - like that one better.

Tried a couple life insurance company calculators, they gave me 27 years plus, then told me I don't have enough money so I should purchase their annuity, I have concluded their numbers are not sincere, I am shocked that they would exaggerate.

Think I'll head out and play a round of golf, stay involved in the non-profits with which I am associated which I find very rewarding, remember to tell my wife, sons and grandchildren that I love them often and hope I go quickly - just not too soon, shot my age three weeks ago, not ready to sign off yet, if for no other relevant reason than to (again) see our Huskies raise another NC banner.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
You should start a swimming career. 0 impact and I never have never any pain when I swim. When I run, my knee feels like it’s going to explode for days after.
I swim at least 3 to 4 times a week, following a Masters program. I love open water swims but the sharks put a dent in that this summer. Funny story my buddy who swam for Coast Guard Academy begged me to join him in the distance swim for the annual Swim Club swim meet. I haven't swam competitively in 30 years and mostly worried about losing my goggles and my swim trunks while converting a racing dive into a belly flop! So I get up on the starting block and no buddy! I dive in and eventually was lapped by the two guys and one women I was swimming against! I get out of the pool to great applause and my buddy comes up to me and I ask So where were you? He says did you see the competition? I say I have no idea who they were but I wish I could have drafted that big guy next to me he moved a lot of water! My buddy then tells me the guy next to me was an alternate on the Olympic Team, the woman last year won the women's 400 IM in the National Masters Meet and the other guy just won the swim around Manhattan! And ME!!!

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
I swim at least 3 to 4 times a week, following a Masters program. I love open water swims but the sharks put a dent in that this summer. Funny story my buddy who swam for Coast Guard Academy begged me to join him in the distance swim for the annual Swim Club swim meet. I haven't swam competitively in 30 years and mostly worried about losing my goggles and my swim trunks while converting a racing dive into a belly flop! So I get up on the starting block and no buddy! I dive in and eventually was lapped by the two guys and one women I was swimming against! I get out of the pool to great applause and my buddy comes up to me and I ask So where were you? He says did you see the competition? I say I have no idea who they were but I wish I could have drafted that big guy next to me he moved a lot of water! My buddy then tells me the guy next to me was an alternate on the Olympic Team, the woman last year won the women's 400 IM in the National Masters Meet and the other guy just won the swim around Manhattan! And ME!!!
It's weird but I looked at your picture for the first time a couple of days ago and thought to myself this poster takes exercise seriously. And then I see this thread.

The retirement questionnaire is most likely biased. However the rate at which medical research is advancing at the sub cellular level could end up making that self serving retirement prediction accurate.

I'm not sure if your question is intended for financial planning or for preparing yourself regarding the inevitable or spoofing.

Last edited: