Serious question. How long does Hurley get?0 | The Boneyard

Serious question. How long does Hurley get?0

Reaction Score
I was talking to someone at the football game on Saturday and it got me thinking. This will be Year 2 of the Hurley regime. If we are not a tourney team by next year does he get another? The guy was saying Edsall is in year 3 and hasn’t turned the program around yet. My view was given the mess he needs at least until 2020. But football was A. a total disaster and B. Harder to turn around. Basketball programs can go from eh to wow in one year. By next year Hurley will have had 3. Does he need to deliver something serious by then? Does he need to do it this year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hmm....top 20 class. Lots of interest from top recruits this class. Huge improvement in quality of play last year, hindered by injuries. Massive individual improvement from key returning players. No crashed scooters. Yeah, sounds like a hot seat made of ice.

This team will make the tournament. Maybe even top 25. The following year easy top 25 all season.

Reaction Score
If he doesn't get the number 1 recruitng class this fall. I would fire him. Why not. I have been on this board forever. I am still dumbfounded by some of the questions. When I think there cant be anything that can be more stupid. Someone actually comes up with something. I usually dont like to be confrontational, but really. How long does Hurley have? Wow

Reaction Score
The expectation is continual improvement, idk if it's about time. An ollie collapse? 3 years. Anything else at least 4 or 5.

Maybe NIT this year or next? I'd be conservatively happy. The tournament in either and I'm stoked.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was talking to someone at the football game on Saturday and it got me thinking. This will be Year 2 of the Hurley regime. If we are not a tourney team by next year does he get another? The guy was saying Edsall is in year 3 and hasn’t turned the program around yet. My view was given the mess he needs at least until 2020. But football was A. a total disaster and B. Harder to turn around. Basketball programs can go from eh to wow in one year. By next year Hurley will have had 3. Does he need to deliver something serious by then? Does he need to do it this year?

Sigh. 5 Years. incl last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The expectation is continual improvement, idk if it's about time. An ollie collapse? 3 years. Anything else at least 4 or 5.

It's a weird thread to be taking seriously, but I'd say Ollie collapsed from NC high, to bottom of the barrel. I'm not sure how much more dramatic a collapse Hurley could engineer. Sink the program to DIII?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As soon as Hurley posts back to back 10-22 seasons, he's gone.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hmm....top 20 class. Lots of interest from top recruits this class. Huge improvement in quality of play last year, hindered by injuries. Massive individual improvement from key returning players. No crashed scooters. Yeah, sounds like a hot seat made of ice.

This team will make the tournament. Maybe even top 25. The following year easy top 25 all season.
But does that get him another year? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
NCAA TOUR this year BIG EAST CHAMP and NCAA NEXT YEAR and 20 wins every season after.

Reaction Score
What a question, I am certain Hurley will be fine. Fringe tourney team this year, sweet 16 next year, elite 8 heart break in 2022, Hurley's first 'ship in 2024 is my prediction.

Reaction Score
Let's see, using this logic, Calhoun would have been out the door after year 3:
Year one: 9-19
Year two: 20-14
Year three: 18-13
And to top it off, it took him ten more years to win his first championship! Hurley only has 7 years left on his contract so it's not looking good.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Before records, check recruiting
Year 2 he should be getting his 'type' of player
Year 3 NCAA bid
Year 4 getting his 'type' of player in 4/5 star athletes
Year 5 competing for league championships, Sweet 16 - Elite 8
Else Year 6 sayonara

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Let's see, using this logic, Calhoun would have been out the door after year 3:
Year one: 9-19
Year two: 20-14
Year three: 18-13
And to top it off, it took him ten more years to win his first championship! Hurley only has 7 years left on his contract so it's not looking good.
Yes but JC had to build the brand - DH has to restore the brand - DH starts with a higher floor then JC

pj

Reaction Score
As long as he needs.

Hurley's the right guy and when you have the right guy, you stick with him through thick and thin.

When you have the wrong guy, you dump him even if he won a national championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's no reason to even think about this at this point and the responses are expected but if for some reason we are sitting this Feb with a very poor record this topic won't be so crazy. We have to be better than last year and see an upward progression.

Reaction Score
Over 49 years of watching college hoops I’ve seen lots of “can’t miss” guys flame out st the next level. Lots of people including me were happy to get him but I think we need to be a tournament team by 2021 or seriously question if he is one of those guys. We need to finish above .500 and be at worst an NIT team this year or I think there will be some questions. We can’t make the mistake of waiting too long

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom