Serious Exercise--How does UCONN compare in AAC? | The Boneyard

Serious Exercise--How does UCONN compare in AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without emotion, no name calling, no "smart ass comments"; How does UCONN football compare this season to all other AAC teams in four key areas:
(A) Total Defense
(B) Offense Skill positions
(C) QB
(D) Coaching
How many teams are ahead of UCONN in each area, how many are behind UCONN and why? Specifically ; who is better, equal, not as good in each area.
This exercise can bring some clarity to where we are and where we are going. Looking forward to many intelligent responses from knowledgeable UCONN and AAC fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You could just look at the Massey rankings - it's not like people are breaking down VPI or NCSU game films to have an opinion.

Reaction Score
I'll bite... ranking range out of 12 teams of course:
(A) 4-6
(B) 5-7 (OL= 8-10)
(C) 6-8
(D) 6-8 (play calling=12!)

Thinking back to the turnover margins between 2015 and 2016, I tend to think Diaco is correct in a few key plays deciding our fate. Last year a great TO margin took a 4-8 team and made them 6-6. This season sloppy play or "regression to TO mean" has made a team that should be 4-0 and dragged them down to 2-2. Ultimately this team is much better positioned to be a top half AAC team compared to 2015 but the TO battle has made every game an absolute struggle. Add in some horrific coaching in "critical down" situations, woeful offensive starts and you get an incredibly maddening team to watch and absolute panic on the BY. I still think 7-5 is possible but the game-changing plays need to go in our favor... and we may need to install a goal line pass play. Someone please e-mail this to Diaco ASAP!!

90adu1.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll bite... ranking range out of 12 teams of course:
(A) 4-6
(B) 5-7 (OL= 8-10)
(C) 6-8
(D) 6-8 (play calling=12!)

90adu1.jpg

If UConn was the 15th ACC team tbey would rank 14th in the composite computer rankings ahead of only Virginia. There are 5 worse offensive lines in the ACC?!?!?!?

UConn is 11th out of 12 in the AAC ahead of only SMU.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've overrated them just a touch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By the computers there are three P5 teams worse than UConn:

Virginia, Illinois and Kansas.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wait, are we comparing to AAC or ACC?

Reaction Score
By the computers there are three P5 teams worse than UConn:

Virginia, Illinois and Kansas.
But didn't you get the memo that the only reason we won't go undefeated is because of Diaco's play calling, not the talent on the roster?

Reaction Score
Wait, are we comparing to AAC or ACC?
Apologies if the original post was confusing, l'd like to keep the discussion focused on comparison to American Athletic Conference Football Programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Apologies if the original post was confusing, l'd like to keep the discussion focused on comparison to American Athletic Conference Football Programs.

Sorry to you and Abe - I completely read ACC.

On the bright side they stack up a little bit better in the AAC than the ACC!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
(A) Defense - I think we slot in below USF and UH. I think our D is better than UC's but I want to see how it performs against UH on Thursday. D was roasted a few times by Cuse and they don't have nearly the talented weapons that Houston does.

(B) Offense Skill positions - if it weren't for Thomas, we'd be in the bottom third. It's hard to put blame on the skilled positions because the OL has been so spotty and the conservative tendencies don't help.

(C) QB - definitely has a case of the happy feet and struggles with accuracy on the run...which he seems to constantly be doing. OL has been spotty but on the times they do protect, BS makes his hot read and if it's not there immediately, he's tucking and ducking. He's a tough kid though and that's probably why he has the job. Under no circumstances do I want to see Williams burn his RS with this OL in front of him. If we all haven't learned the valuable lesson to not start true FR behind horrendous OLs from Tim Boyle, I don't know when we will learn it. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Anderson from time to time though just to see what he can do. Maybe the first drive of 2Q just to get a peak.

(D) Coaching - motivating and coaching defense are clearly Diaco's strengths. I'm not sure we've found a good mix of offensive minds in quite some time here. Clock management and offensive philosophy are the two biggest weaknesses of the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom