Serial watching slump | The Boneyard

Serial watching slump

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Was searching for a new show and found Deadwood. For some reason I thought I had already watched it, but I was confusing Deadwood with Hell of Wheels.

Bottom line: I'm on episode four, and really like the show so far.

Reaction Score
Was searching for a new show and found Deadwood. For some reason I thought I had already watched it, but I was confusing Deadwood with Hell of Wheels.

Both good shoes tom. I need to get back to Deadwood also haven't seen it since episode 3 - hard to balance all these damn good series.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Deadwood is awesome. And was cancelled to soon. Small but rabid fan base. I think it's a little intellectually above the average viewer, given the theatrical rendering of the language of the time (iambic pentameter -> Shakespearean).

The dialogue in this show is designed and constructed in more detail than any other I show that I can recall.

Good article on it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2004/05/talk_pretty.html

And let's face it, never has a work of art used the word 'c_cksucker' in such a perfect and quotable fashion.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Deadwood is awesome. And was cancelled to soon. Small but rabid fan base. I think it's a little intellectually above the average viewer, given the theatrical rendering of the language of the time (iambic pentameter -> Shakespearean).

The dialogue in this show is designed and constructed in more detail than any other I show that I can recall.

Good article on it: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2004/05/talk_pretty.html

I notice they have a good deal of recycled tv actors from other shows, and/or a good number who went on to other shows - Justified, Ray Donavan, etc. For most of the first couple episodes I was seeing familiar faces.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I notice they have a good deal of recycled tv actors from other shows, and/or a good number who went on to other shows - Justified, Ray Donavan, etc. For most of the first couple episodes I was seeing familiar faces.

It did come out in 2004, so it helped launch--a better term would be 'accelerate'--careers already in progress, like Timothy Olyphant, Garret Dillahunt, Kim Dickens, and Paula Malcomson (who I loathe and think is one of the most annoying people ever).

Obviously an industry veteran already, Ian McShane was brilliant. He's one of my favorite actors, so that worked out nicely for me.

I also love how the series is based on a real town and real people from back in that era.

Reaction Score

Listen to Season two of the Serial Podcast. Riveting stuff.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Deadwood is one of the greatest written shows ever. Its criminal how it ended.

Al Swearengen is the man

The director was apparently given the option of a 4th season, but with only 6 episodes. He turned it down saying that Deadwood was an 'all in' show, and you couldn't do it right under those conditions. The Gem was supposed to burn down at some point, as I think it did in real life.

There was talk of a movie coming out a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard anything since.

Reaction Score
The director was apparently given the option of a 4th season, but with only 6 episodes. He turned it down saying that Deadwood was an 'all in' show, and you couldn't do it right under those conditions. The Gem was supposed to burn down at some point, as I think it did in real life.

There was talk of a movie coming out a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard anything since.
From last month: http://tvline.com/2016/01/07/deadwood-movie-reunion-hbo-premiere-date/

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo confirmed to TVLine that he personally gave series creator David Milch the green light to resurrect the acclaimed yet painfully short-lived Western.

“David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” says Lombardo. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

intlzncster

Reaction Score
From last month: http://tvline.com/2016/01/07/deadwood-movie-reunion-hbo-premiere-date/

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo confirmed to TVLine that he personally gave series creator David Milch the green light to resurrect the acclaimed yet painfully short-lived Western.

“David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” says Lombardo. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

Nice, thanks tcf.

Reaction Score
I am praying to God that this Deadwood movie does not end up an abomination like when Arrested Development was brought back on netflix

Reaction Score
Listen to Season two of the Serial Podcast. Riveting stuff.

Season 1 was awesome. Season 2? Meh. Not too interesting at all. Nowhere near the buzz on the interwebs either. Hope she comes up with something better for season 3.

Reaction Score
Season 1 was awesome. Season 2? Meh. Not too interesting at all. Nowhere near the buzz on the interwebs either. Hope she comes up with something better for season 3.

Yeah, not nearly enough racial undertones for people to generate faux outrage.

Reaction Score
Yes. When someone disagrees, throw out the race card. Perfect. You are 100% correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom