September 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | The Boneyard

September 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
New month, new thread, same results. EDD with 25 points half.

Washington up 58-40 over liberty.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Huh. I thought that was official a while ago. Maybe it wasn't official, but I think everybody already knew it.

Reaction Score
Huh. I thought that was official a while ago. Maybe it wasn't official, but I think everybody already knew it.
Well Voepel hadn't written anything in a few days, so maybe she called the Storm for confirmation so she could write about some non-news....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stewie joining Lobo on the ESPN2 telecast.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seattle showing a great rhythm on offense and Phoenix, well, isn't exactly shining defensively. Storm up by 21 late in 3Q. Howard and Griner each have 22 points; I'd say both are virtual locks for 1st Team All-WNBA at this point. Alysha Clark is playing probably the best I've ever seen her. Canada has really grown into the starting PG role, now with 10 points, 9 assists, 2 steals.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sue officially not playing the rest of the year, including playoffs.

Interested to see if this effects her or DT making the Olympic team in 2020. When is the team announced?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Seattle showing a great rhythm on offense and Phoenix, well, isn't exactly shining defensively. Storm up by 21 late in 3Q. Howard and Griner each have 22 points; I'd say both are virtual locks for 1st Team All-WNBA at this point. Alysha Clark is playing probably the best I've ever seen her. Canada has really grown into the starting PG role, now with 10 points, 9 assists, 2 steals.

Agreed. All-WNBA teams will look extremely different this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interested to see if this effects her or DT making the Olympic team in 2020. When is the team announced?
They don't announce the team a year in advance. The 2016 final roster was announced in late April. On tonight's Storm-Mercury broadcast they said Sue is still aiming to be ready in October for the national team tour.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
They don't announce the team a year in advance. The 2016 final roster was announced in late April. On tonight's Storm-Mercury broadcast they said Sue is still aiming to be ready in October for the national team tour.

Thank you. The Olympic roster looks like much more of a toss up this time around compared to 2012 or 2016.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Clark has always been a favorite of mine. So tough defensively and makes big shots when needed. Leading the WNBA in 3pt % at 47.4. 3% points better than the competition

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thank you. The Olympic roster looks like much more of a toss up this time around compared to 2012 or 2016.
Definitely. Among the 12 roster members from '16:
  • Definitely retired: Catchings, Whalen
  • Very possibly retired: Moore
  • Not looking likely: Augustus
  • Question marks with injuries: Bird, Taurasi, Stewart, McCoughtry
  • That leaves 3 centers (Griner, Fowles, Charles) plus EDD as the only probables-to-locks without current injury clouds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Clark has always been a favorite of mine. So tough defensively and makes big shots when needed. Leading the WNBA in 3pt % at 47.4. 3% points better than the competition
I'd always seen her as the consummate team/glue player, not a great offensive player. But her improved 3-point shooting has been jaw-dropping. Just 2 years ago she was 32.8% from the arc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • That leaves 3 centers (Griner, Fowles, Charles) plus EDD as the only probables-to-locks without current injury clouds.
Maybe Candace can get a spot back. Just playing.

The players that you didn't mention that played on the World championship team were: Loyd, Plum, Clarendon, Tuck, Wilson, and N.Ogwumike. I think Wilson and Nneka are probably the only two out of that group that is a shoe in. And that leaves us with 4 posts and a tall wing.

The backcourt will be interesting because Bird and Taurasi seem unlikely IMO for the Olympics. I know that they would rest their bodies next season if they had to in order to get better health-wise. But that's not going to mean they will be playing at a higher-level than the guards who they will be competing with for playing time. Taurasi has showed some rust since coming back from injury, and Sue will not play the rest of the season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Both Fowles/Charles have been slowing down too although I think both are probably safe bets for 2020. A'ja Wilson is a lock, especially with Staley coaching. I hope McCowan gets a look too, would be great for her development and she'd be a great replacement for Griner/Fowles down the line.

Then if you look at guards, Vandersloot and Toliver are probably the best PGs in the league right now but both have been overlooked in the past so they're with different countries. Diggins is coming off giving birth, too. Gray looks like the top healthy candidate as of right now. I'd love for Wheeler to get a look.

For shooting guards, I'd expect they'll look at McBride, Ogunbowale, Deshields, Loyd, Hayes, Ionescu, and Sims among others.

Forwards I think Collier, Bonner, Howard, Alyssa Thomas and the Ogwumikes will get looked at.

Lots of good players in the pipeline, just a very different look.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both Fowles/Charles have been slowing down too although I think both are probably safe bets for 2020. A'ja Wilson is a lock, especially with Staley coaching. I hope McCowan gets a look too, would be great for her development and she'd be a great replacement for Griner/Fowles down the line.

Then if you look at guards, Vandersloot and Toliver are probably the best PGs in the league right now but both have been overlooked in the past so they're with different countries. Diggins is coming off giving birth, too. Gray looks like the top healthy candidate as of right now. I'd love for Wheeler to get a look.

For shooting guards, I'd expect they'll look at McBride, Ogunbowale, Deshields, Loyd, Hayes, Ionescu, and Sims among others.

Forwards I think Collier, Bonner, Howard, Alyssa Thomas and the Ogwumikes will get looked at.

Lots of good players in the pipeline, just a very different look.

Maybe some of them might help the Men]s Team in the FIBA worlds. ;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
But her improved 3-point shooting has been jaw-dropping. Just 2 years ago she was 32.8% from the arc.

Maybe there's something in the water here. Prior to this season Crystal Langhorne was 8-44 in 11 years from behind the arc. This year she is 17-50. 34% isn't great but she was a complete non threat to shoot them at any time in her career, until now suddenly she's good enough to be a factor.

It really breaks down differently between her time in Washington and Seattle. 2008-2013 she was only 4-32. 2014-2018 she was 4-12, and then the explosion of attempts this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cool article eebmg. Nice to see Sloot getting some recognition.

Agree with the author, it's EDD all the way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Lest we forget about the team that actually, ahem, WON the game tonight by 30 and IS going to the playoffs...

Morgan Tuck with a stellar performance: 17 pts on 6-8 FG (4-5 from 3) in just 17 minutes of play off the bench.
Jonquel Jones with another elite showing: 22 points on 8-13 (albeit 0-4 from 3).
Courtney Williams flirting with triple-double territory: 9 pts, 8 rebs, 7 assists in just 23 minutes.
Solid contributions (10 to 13 points) from all other starters as well as Brionna Jones.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Atlanta is without Hayes and Breland, but going toe to toe w/ Las Vegas. Elizabeth Williams is going off, 14 pts 5 boards 4 blocks, more than holding her own against Wilson and Cambage. Aces up 4 about 2 minutes before halftime.

Plum is continuing her improved play lately. She seems to have a little extra zip in her step. She was never going to be the most athletic player, but she is quick. She's had some nice drives blowing by defenders. 7 points on 3-6 shooting, 4 rebounds and 2 steals.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich seems to like playing against LV. 7 points on 3-3 shooting in 5 minutes, but she has 3 quick fouls. Some of them were questionable.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich looks really good to me, I don't know why she doesn't play more. 12 points on 5-6 shooting, a pair of 3's, some nice passes, has a nice feel for the game.

Atlanta just won't go away, this game has been close throughout.

Williams has 6 blocks, Wilson has 7. Do not bring that ball in the lane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom