Sense8 | The Boneyard

Sense8

Reaction Score
Anyone watching this new Netflix series, Sense8? It's done by the same folks that did The Matrix movies. It doesn't have all the special effects that those movies did, but it has the same stylish feel. They made the first season (12 episodes) available this past weekend and I binged a bit. While I enjoyed the show, I think it has much better potential. There are eight main characters and the show spends a lot of time giving background information on each. While that's OK, the real fun starts when the characters start interacting with each other, particularly in the action scenes.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I looked up the show and see it's done by Andy and Lana Wachowski. I thought to myself, I didn't know the Wachowski Brothers had a sister in the business. Imagine my surprise when I find out that Lana was born Laurence and went through gender transition years ago. I had still always heard of them as the Wachowski Brothers so I had no idea, though I'm sure it was news at some point.

I knew that Switch was originally supposed to be a male in the real world and a female inside the matrix (hence the name Switch) but I had no idea that was a reflection of Lana in real life. (Warner Brothers blocked the idea so they chose to just make Switch relatively androgynous in appearance.)

Anyways, I'll probably check this show out. Anything from them is worth a shot.

Reaction Score
I looked up the show and see it's done by Andy and Lana Wachowski. I thought to myself, I didn't know the Wachowski Brothers had a sister in the business. Imagine my surprise when I find out that Lana was born Laurence and went through gender transition years ago. I had still always heard of them as the Wachowski Brothers so I had no idea, though I'm sure it was news at some point.

I knew that Switch was originally supposed to be a male in the real world and a female inside the matrix (hence the name Switch) but I had no idea that was a reflection of Lana in real life. (Warner Brothers blocked the idea so they chose to just make Switch relatively androgynous in appearance.)

Anyways, I'll probably check this show out. Anything from them is worth a shot.

Yeah, that's them. I hadn't heard that about the character in The Matrix, but there is a transgender character in Sense8. To their credit, they don't make the character all about being transgender. It's part of who she is, but it's not all she is, if that makes sense.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone watching this new Netflix series, Sense8? It's done by the same folks that did The Matrix movies. It doesn't have all the special effects that those movies did, but it has the same stylish feel. They made the first season (12 episodes) available this past weekend and I binged a bit. While I enjoyed the show, I think it has much better potential. There are eight main characters and the show spends a lot of time giving background information on each. While that's OK, the real fun starts when the characters start interacting with each other, particularly in the action scenes.

I tried watching the first episode, but it started too damn slow. Not interested at this point.

Reaction Score
I tried watching the first episode, but it started too damn slow. Not interested at this point.

I totally understand. The first couple of episodes seemed primarily devoted to character development which takes time when you have so many main characters. The action really didn't kick in until the third episode or so when they start to interact more with each other. As they proved in The Matrix, these folks do know how to stage a good action scene.

Reaction Score
Finished watching the first season. The cinematography is breathtaking is some scenes, especially the opening credits. The story lines took some getting used to. The cluster only seems to interconnect at times of great emotional stress, to channel each members individual strengths.
The concept can be irritating, but it's rational as the idea of 8 forms of consciousness interacting as one 24/7 would make each individual schizophrenic. Probably the best scene of the season was Riley attending her dad's concert & all Sensates being transported back to the moments of their individual births. Stunning.

Reaction Score
Finished watching the first season. The cinematography is breathtaking is some scenes, especially the opening credits. The story lines took some getting used to. The cluster only seems to interconnect at times of great emotional stress, to channel each members individual strengths.
The concept can be irritating, but it's rational as the idea of 8 forms of consciousness interacting as one 24/7 would make each individual schizophrenic. Probably the best scene of the season was Riley attending her dad's concert & all Sensates being transported back to the moments of their individual births. Stunning.

I enjoyed the show very much, but agree that it took some time to get used to. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes was a 92 (69 for critics). I have not read if they've been renewed for a second season, but I hope so as I think the show will get more interesting as the group learns how to control their abilities.

Reaction Score
I just finished Season 2 and enjoyed it as much as Season 1. The first season was excellent, but definitely slow at times as they provided back stories on all eight characters. Season 2 is able to skip all that part and just stick with the story. As in the first season, the action scenes are always my favorite. One thing to note is that they replaced the actor who played the Van Damm character. Apparently the original actor was a dick so they replaced him. This took a bit of getting used to as I associated the character with the original actor. They seem to leave the ending open for a third season and I hope they do it. I've got to believe this is an expensive show to produce.

Reaction Score
They BETTER do a 3rd season. They loaded Whispers & Jonas onto the escape vehicle, but I didn't see Wolfgang.

Reaction Score
They BETTER do a 3rd season. They loaded Whispers & Jonas onto the escape vehicle, but I didn't see Wolfgang.

Unfortunately, it looks like we are SOL on Season 3. I really enjoyed the show, but despite solid numbers on Rotten Tomatoes, maybe I was in the minority. I read that it was a very expensive show to produce which makes sense as there were so many international locations to shoot, but I am definitely disappointed. Not cancel my Netflix subscription disappointed, but disappointed none the less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom