Senior Day Celebration | The Boneyard

Senior Day Celebration

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are few events in sport that generate the genuine warmth of emotion exhibited during the annual senior day celebration for UConn WBB players. This year is a little different, as Tierney Lawlor and Saniya Chong will not be leaving UConn as NPOY's, AA or even all-conference performers, but their importance to the team is unquestioned, and the affection they will receive on Saturday will be absolute.

Tierney and Saniya have endured the long hard practices and accepted the incredible demands associated with being UConn WBB players for the past four years. They have contributed to the success of this program in countless ways, both seen and unseen. They will graduate from UConn as confident young women, assured of success in life whatever path they choose.

From a basketball perspective, they will leave UConn having been a part of three national championships and hopefully a fourth, while also being a part of the longest winning streak in the history of college basketball.

One final point to note. Tierney and Saniya are on the verge of setting a record that will belong only to them, at least for the next year. Stewie, Mo and Tuck had the most wins in the history of CBB with 151. If the Huskies remain unbeaten through the AAC regular and post-season tournament, and then make it to the NCAA FF (not assured but a good possibility) Tierney and Saniya will have 152 wins, hopefully on their way to 154.

Now that's something to celebrate.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_5587.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 90

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional thought on senior day. I assume Tierney will get the start in lieu of Crystal. Hope to see the Huskies run a play for her right from the get-go and she drains the shot. It would be a great way to start the game and get the home crowd into it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What about Natalie ? Like Morgan last year, she has finished 4 yrs and may not choose to return .
You raise an interesting point concerning Nat. Geno has said in the past that each player gets one senior day, so if Nat chooses her senior day for this year, she doesn't get one next year, regardless if she comes back as a redshirt senior.

Of course last year Tuck celebrated senior day with Stewie, Mo & Polly, providing a strong hint of her future plan to announce her eligibility for the draft.

I would be surprised if Nat decides to be honored at senior day on Saturday, rather than next year. I don't really see her as a pro prospect. My guess is that she is committed to another season at UConn where she will continue to improve her game and likely be part of another national championship.

Reaction Score
We can only hope!
Watch what you ask for. While her performance at times has been uneven, without her as a key sub this year I hesitate to predict how we would have done in several of the key games. Also think of all the stress fractures-at least Nat gives a few minutes of rest. Perhaps you should just say "Thank you," and move on.

Reaction Score
You raise an interesting point concerning Nat. Geno has said in the past that each player gets one senior day, so if Nat chooses her senior day for this year, she doesn't get one next year, regardless if she comes back as a redshirt senior.

Of course last year Tuck celebrated senior day with Stewie, Mo & Polly, providing a strong hint of her future plan to announce her eligibility for the draft.

I would be surprised if Nat decides to be honored at senior day on Saturday, rather than next year. I don't really see her as a pro prospect. My guess is that she is committed to another season at UConn where she will continue to improve her game and likely be part of another national championship.

She's getting 16.6 mins per game this year behind Pheesa and Gabby. Next year Stevens and Camara get post and power forward minutes, either as starters or off the bench, plus 4 others who are guards or wings. Throw in the improving Irwin and Natalie could get little more than a walk on's minutes.

I had high hopes for her considering her Big East freshman stats. Although we have seen flashes of quality play and we certainly really needed her in games this season, the expected consistency has not been there.

I agree, The WNBA is not there for her. As i see it , she has as 3 options. 1)Transfer as a graduate student and play immediately for another D1 program, 2) if she can graduate, be done with your eligibility and hopefully play overseas, or 3) return and be probably the 5th or 6th person off the bench.

What would you do ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's getting 16.6 mins per game this year behind Pheesa and Gabby. Next year Stevens and Camara get post and power forward minutes, either as starters or off the bench, plus 4 others who are guards or wings. Throw in the improving Irwin and Natalie could get little more than a walk on's minutes.

I had high hopes for her considering her Big East freshman stats. Although we have seen flashes of quality play and we certainly really needed her in games this season, the expected consistency has not been there.

I agree, The WNBA is not there for her. As i see it , she has as 3 options. 1)Transfer as a graduate student and play immediately for another D1 program, 2) if she can graduate, be done with your eligibility and hopefully play overseas, or 3) return and be probably the 5th or 6th person off the bench.

What would you do ?
Good questions. I guess we'll get some indication of the answer on Saturday. If Nat isn't one of the honorees, she's probably coming back.

Reaction Score
Does geno start butler snce its senior day? How long does lawlor play for before Dangerfield comes in?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
SNY will telecast the senior-day ceremonies in its pregame show at 4 p.m. Can't wait. Celebrating the seniors at the end of their playing careers is always very emotional.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Does Geno start butler since its senior day?

How long does lawlor play for before Dangerfield comes in?
I'm NOT suggesting that this will be the case Saturday for Lawlor, but last year when Pulido started her "senior day" game (2/27/16 vs Tulane), she played 2 minutes, then was subbed for by Samuelson at the 7:59 mark of the first quarter. (I just reviewed a replay of that game for accuracy).

To your question does Geno start Butler: Only if Butler has informed Geno she's not returning next season.

Reaction Score
Geno was talking about senior day last night on the geno show and there was no mention of butler at all. I doubt she is going to be part of the ceremony.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
What an incredibly stupid comment.

I guess Big Mick "can't handle the truth!!!" ;)

If there was an unlike button, I would have clicked it by now. Pretty sure I`m in good company.

The kid busts her ass day in and day out and that's the best you can say? SHAME ON YOU !

Absolute rubbish!

Listen folks:

Butler is a total nervous wreck out there. She knows she is not fulfilling expectations and it's messing her up…to put it mildly.

Stamfordhusky, oldude, Huskee11, DEFCONN1 and BigBird can have their say all day long; but, the fact is we all cringe when she gets the ball: will she travel; will she make a wild pass; will she get stripped; will she lose the ball in her feet; .etc. It’s downright painful; AND, anyone that watches UCONN will agree if she stays for another year, she will get walk-on minutes.

For her peace of mind, she should graduate this year and go play immediately somewhere else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom