Send the Bigs to Dream | The Boneyard

Send the Bigs to Dream

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Next summer Geno should send his bigs (Cs & Fs) to Houston to be taught footwork by the Dream, Hakeem Olajuwon. Even Kobe sought the Dream's footwork tutelage. If they could learn even 1/3 of his footwork it would be such a difference. The Dream was the only player Jordan feared. I know they don't have his athleticism and explosiveness but they could learn enough to be really effective against other women players. Heck even guards like Paige could find his moves useful when posting up. Three videos of the Dream follow.

Reaction Score
Next summer Geno should send his bigs (Cs & Fs) to Houston to be taught footwork by the Dream, Hakeem Olajuwon.
No attack but no thanks. We have far too many traveling calls already. ;)
I'm good with CD and JE working with the bigs. NBA rarely calls traveling which was the norm in the early days of the women's game. Ball handling has come a long way as have the expectations and limitations of what the women can get away with.
That said I would never want to see the bigs putting the ball on the floor as much as he did around the hoop. He was a generational player as was Jordan but playing a much different game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Whether this is accepted or not, The Dream had the best, I mean the best footwork of any big I've ever seen in The League.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Closer to home, let Kara first give it a whack. :cool:She was so fundamentally sound. And beyond low post moves, Kara could show how not to bring the ball down after a rebound
Why Kara? No need for Kara. She learned her moves from CD. Perhaps these stodgy moves no longer cut it in today's game. Perhaps everyone knows these moves and how to defend them. Of course you may be implying the talent, aptitude, and attitude to learn is not present in UCONN's posts.

Reaction Score
I believe Liv has grown substantially from last year. She now has learned to feel defenders and how to attack them. As the game announcers have stated Liv has more patience with her moves. Liv is an athletic center more like Russell on defense and the dream on offense. She is not a bruiser. Aaliyah carries that role for the huskies. Baylor will be a nice test for our bigs.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That said I would never want to see the bigs putting the ball on the floor as much as he did around the hoop. He was a generational player as was Jordan but playing a much different game.
Not accepted by me. While Olajuwan had the quickest footwork, I would put Kevin McHale as the possessor of the best post moves (including fakes).
Whether this is accepted or not, The Dream had the best, I mean the best footwork of any big I've ever seen in The League.
Perhaps Doc Rivers when speaking of Nikola Jokic sums it up the best: Hakeem Olajuwon's footwork, Kevin McHale's intelligence. Both had great footwork but Olajuwon's footwork was a bit better. McHale's moves and fakes were on a par or a bit better. It is no accident players such as Kobe and LeBron have had one-on-one learning sessions with Olajuwon. However, it must be noted Keven Garnett's game was molded by McHale. Once while in each other's company Garnett was asked if he was better than McHale. He responded since he was taught by McHale, Kevin was the master. I don't believe playing the post as they did in 1930-40s is workable in today's game. I am not advocating anyone taught by Olajuwon will be the next Olajuwon or McHale. I am advocating any player taught by Olajuwon would become a much better player with a stronger offensive game. I do understand a certain level of ability and potential is required. Perhaps UCONN's post players are not talented enough and lack the aptitude and attitude. I doubt this. But as the Dream says any player who needs a post up game can benefit from his training such as Paige. He expects the player to learn his moves but it is up to them adapt them to their game. In any case UCONN's posts would do well to study the post moves of Olajuwon, McHale, Duncan, and Jabbar (value of the hook shot, not Sky Hook, just the hook shot).

Reaction Score
Perhaps Doc Rivers when speaking of Nikola Jokic sums it up the best: Hakeem Olajuwon's footwork, Kevin McHale's intelligence. Both had great footwork but Olajuwon's footwork was a bit better. McHale's moves and fakes were on a par or a bit better. It is no accident players such as Kobe and LeBron have had one-on-one learning sessions with Olajuwon. However, it must be noted Keven Garnett's game was molded by McHale. Once while in each other's company Garnett was asked if he was better than McHale. He responded since he was taught by McHale, Kevin was the master. I don't believe playing the post as they did in 1930-40s is workable in today's game. I am not advocating anyone taught by Olajuwon will be the next Olajuwon or McHale. I am advocating any player taught by Olajuwon would become a much better player with a stronger offensive game. I do understand a certain level of ability and potential is required. Perhaps UCONN's post players are not talented enough and lack the aptitude and attitude. I doubt this. But as the Dream says any player who needs a post up game can benefit from his training such as Paige. He expects the player to learn his moves but it is up to them adapt them to their game. In any case UCONN's posts would do well to study the post moves of Olajuwon, McHale, Duncan, and Jabbar (value of the hook shot, not Sky Hook, just the hook shot).
Learning from the masters can only help. Paige is someone who will do anything to be better. It is who she is. When Azzi shows up they will challenge each other every day.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not accepted by me. While Olajuwan had the quickest footwork, I would put Kevin McHale as the possessor of the best post moves (including fakes).
I being neither a resident or a fan of either team at the time have no particular dog in this hunt. I think those in the Association then and now would wholeheartedly disagree with you. Plus if you ask the centers of the day which they, on any given night, would rather not face, The Dream would win in a landslide.

Reaction Score

JordyG

Reaction Score
Not sure how you make the above assertions with no real data points, but here is a former player who disagrees with you.

I can't access the article. Which center or forward does the article quote? However, no matter. The Dream had the greatest arsenal of post moves ever seen. Now McHale was clearly effective and could be seen as second, some would say third after Kareem. But for shear number of post moves, The Dream literally had twice as many as McHale. He could take you from the triple threat position jab step, crossover, head to the basket, spin move, ball fake, up and under. To quote Evan Smith "He had an effective jump hook; turn around fade away, power stop drive with a spin move, up and under, the list goes on. He made his name with his ball fakes and shot fakes though. The reason he was so good is that he did not just use one move to get the basket. He used multiple moves". McHale was great, no doubt, but he made his name on the up and under move. He was the best at it, but for footwork and the sheer volume of moves, it's not close. Just ask Michael Jordan, Shaq, and David Robinson.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not sure how you make the above assertions with no real data points, but here is a former player who disagrees with you.

I'll see your one player and raise you Labron, Yao, Kobe, Amar'e, Dwight Howard, and Kenneth Faried. They probably voted for Olajuwon with their money. I don't believe the Dream's lessons are free.

I being neither a resident or a fan of either team at the time have no particular dog in this hunt. I think those in the Association then and now would wholeheartedly disagree with you. Plus if you ask the centers of the day which they, on any given night, would rather not face, The Dream would win in a landslide.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Does NCAA allow universities to pay for athletes to attend summer training camps.

Hakeem was great and his balance and footwork phenomenal...Thanks to Moses Malone!

Reaction Score
I'll see your one player and raise you Labron, Yao, Kobe, Amar'e, Dwight Howard, and Kenneth Faried. They probably voted for Olajuwon with their money. I don't believe the Dream's lessons are free.

Unfortunately, putting your response in large, bold letters does not make it any more valid. Perhaps Hakeem is selling his teaching wares because he has no other job, while McHale has continued to be gainfully employed in basketball as a coach, general manager and broadcaster (oh, and has taught post players as well).

John Amaechi - Sporting News 5/6/15 "Your two choices, I believe are McHale and Olajuwon. An era or so apart, based on two instinctively different ways of thinking about basketball, two different body architectures and two different contextual imperatives, with the same result: you felt like you'd been put in the torture chamber after attempting to guard either. I know from personal experience with Olajuwon and from copious stories told to me by Jon Salley about McHale. (Jon ranks McHale above Jordan as an opponent btw!)

If I had to choose — I refer you to my soft spot for under-physically-talented players who maximise their ability via amazing skill to give you your answer: McHale. Just don't tell Hakeem or he won't pay for breakfast ever again."

Finally, McHale's post moves earned him a career shooting percentage of 55%, while Olajuwon's 'superior' moves generated a lesser 51%.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, putting your response in large, bold letters does not make it any more valid. Perhaps Hakeem is selling his teaching wares because he has no other job, while McHale has continued to be gainfully employed in basketball as a coach, general manager and broadcaster (oh, and has taught post players as well).

John Amaechi - Sporting News 5/6/15 "Your two choices, I believe are McHale and Olajuwon. An era or so apart, based on two instinctively different ways of thinking about basketball, two different body architectures and two different contextual imperatives, with the same result: you felt like you'd been put in the torture chamber after attempting to guard either. I know from personal experience with Olajuwon and from copious stories told to me by Jon Salley about McHale. (Jon ranks McHale above Jordan as an opponent btw!)

If I had to choose — I refer you to my soft spot for under-physically-talented players who maximise their ability via amazing skill to give you your answer: McHale. Just don't tell Hakeem or he won't pay for breakfast ever again."

Finally, McHale's post moves earned him a career shooting percentage of 55%, while Olajuwon's 'superior' moves generated a lesser 51%.
McHale played on a front line with Bird and Parish, so it’s safe to conclude he saw fewer double teams. That would easily account for the higher percentage.

Reaction Score
The NBA is a business .. it's not real basketball, especially regarding footwork!
Players 'walk' [travel] on almost every slam or so-called 'step-back jumper', eh?
Many times, an NBA player will catch the ball 10 feet from the basket, take two steps to the basket [without dribbling] and dunk it! haha
Following the rules of basketball in the NBA, in particular, footwork, is a joke!!!

Reaction Score
I'll see your one player and raise you Labron, Yao, Kobe, Amar'e, Dwight Howard, and Kenneth Faried.

Sorry, can't use Dwight Howard, as he trained with both Alajuwon and McHale (at the same time).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sorry, can't use Dwight Howard, as he trained with both Alajuwon and McHale (at the same time).

Sorry you can't use McHale! He was Dwight's head coach at this time so of course he HAS to train with McHale. However, Howard ASKED for Olajuwon to train him at this time. Apparently McHale's tutelage was falling short. So Dwight called for the Dream, the master of footwork.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, putting your response in large, bold letters does not make it any more valid.
True but more readable.
Perhaps Hakeem is selling his teaching wares because he has no other job, while McHale has continued to be gainfully employed in basketball as a coach, general manager and broadcaster (oh, and has taught post players as well).
Perhaps you don't know Olajuwon is a real estate investor and an owner of a working cattle ranch besides being the first choice of the NBA stars for post footwork training.
John Amaechi, THE John Amaechi, whose five year NBA career consisted of three teams and 6.2 pts avg., and 2.6 rebounds per game. Did I mention he was 6'10", 2.6 rebounds per game! Oh, he played 3 years in Europe. Well there you have it. Of course anyone would take his word over Kobe, LeBron, et al. McHale is great but better than Jordan? You killed Salley's credibility with this revelation.
If I had to choose — I refer you to my soft spot for under-physically-talented players who maximise their ability via amazing skill to give you your answer: McHale. Just don't tell Hakeem or he won't pay for breakfast ever again." Finally, McHale's post moves earned him a career shooting percentage of 55%, while Olajuwon's 'superior' moves generated a lesser 51%.
I am sure playing with Bird and the Chief had nothing to do with McHale's shooting percentage.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Does NCAA allow universities to pay for athletes to attend summer training camps.

Hakeem was great and his balance and footwork phenomenal...Thanks to Moses Malone!
Thanks to playing against Moses. "yet (Olajuwon) never lost sight of Malone's primary lesson. "Do the work," said Hakeem." I do like this Malone quote: "Ain't no secrets about playing basketball. Who wants the ball more? Who wants the shot? Who wants the rebound? Go get it."

"After nearly a year of banging heads and elbows, trading pushes and shoves, giving and taking lessons, the teenager took the ball in his hands, spun toward the basket and slammed it home with a force that rattled the backboard and sent Moses Malone sprawling onto the worn wooden floor. "Offensive foul," barked out the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player from flat on his back. "C'mon, Mo!" the gangly 19-year-old, then known as Akeem Olajuwon, replied through his Nigerian accent. "Be a mon!"

"Oh Lordy," NBA veteran Robert Reid remembered years later. "The place got real quiet. It was on that play, at that minute, when a lot of us stood there and wondered, 'What do we have here?' "

"They were opposite sides of the same coin. Where Malone would bump and grind and wear down an opponent with his sheer physical play and relentless pursuit of the ball, Olajuwon wore opponents out with an array of spins, fakes, double- and triple-pumps that were more varied and colorful than a painter's palette."

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom