Senators propose labor bill for college athletes | The Boneyard

Senators propose labor bill for college athletes

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gulp - you knew this was coming...if not in 2021, sometime in the next decade.

This would create massive change and it goes far beyond football. Its a labor lawyer bonanza. It could mean the end of the line for all kinds of college athletics like fencing, golf, crew, etc. They would probably all have to become club sports unsupported by the schools. When you make athletes employees, I don't see how the vast majority of schools decide this is too complicated and exit. I'm referring to all levels, DI, DII and DIII and all sports.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Complete BS- Murphy and Sanders should change their names to Comrade Murphy and Comrade Sanders. They will try to unionize little Leaguers next
That would be pretty based tbh

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

This would create massive change and it goes far beyond football. Its a labor lawyer bonanza. It could mean the end of the line for all kinds of college athletics like fencing, golf, crew, etc. They would probably all have to become club sports unsupported by the schools. When you make athletes employees, I don't see how the vast majority of schools decide this is too complicated and exit. I'm referring to all levels, DI, DII and DIII and all sports.
Yep, the predictable, and yet somehow unforeseen, consequence. Don't worry, they will inevitably address the dropping of non-revenue sports by mandating them, with the predictable and yet unforeseen effect of forcing smaller schools to close.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The most dreaded words in the English language. "I'm from Washington, DC and I'm here to help."

Be nice if they left college football alone.
Yeah.

It would have been nice if the Supreme Court hadn’t ruled on OU Board of Regents back in 1981.

But they didn’t leave college football alone and now we are in this current situation because of it.

Reaction Score
So if they are employees would UCONN have to hire them via a posted job description like they hire coaches? They are now employees so do they even go to classes anymore? Such a crock of Shi!

The schools should send these idiots a memo that if this passes they are dropping all athletics.

Reaction Score
No one is forcing any collegiate athlete to participate. 99% of college athletes will never get a dime to play professional sports. Many are getting a top quality education and incredible experience free. Yes- they need to work hard and study hard...but that is their decision. Why Comrade Murphy thinks they need to organize collectively is very clear. He wants the power to shift from the Universities to 18-21 year olds.

How does this work for the academies? Are West Point cadets supposed to be paid ??? A West Point cadets gets an incredible education and then owes our country 8 years service. Do you think China pays its athletes???

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
don't they have a budget to fix or pass some legislation on naming something after them. Better yet buy another home

Leave college sports alone you jackholes

Reaction Score
Players should have a voice regarding the future of their sport. This would grant them that. No idea why people are acting like this is the end of the world.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The reality is Murphy is known for not following through on his words. I don't see this as being any different. A lot of hot air from both.

Reaction Score
Love it - this will not pass but it will Foster discussion. It’s why I love Bernie. College Athletes should be paid, don’t think unionizing is way to do it best but it will get people talking and, hopefully, a sensible bill that allows them to get paid will be written.

Reaction Score

Bunch of idiots.

Reaction Score
Love it - this will not pass but it will Foster discussion. It’s why I love Bernie. College Athletes should be paid, don’t think unionizing is way to do it best but it will get people talking and, hopefully, a sensible bill that allows them to get paid will be written.

These kids get paid alot of money that isn't taxed. And no I'm not talking scholarship money. If you don't think they do you probably live under a rock.

Reaction Score
These kids get paid alot of money that isn't taxed. And no I'm not talking scholarship money. If you don't think they do you probably live under a rock.
Don’t doubt it at all - let’s make it legal.

Reaction Score
Next is basketball.....if you follow the logic of the kids making money because their play has value.

The non revenue sports may be safe...for now.

Reaction Score
I think it’s pretty well set that amateur athletics at the major college level is fading fast. In my opinion it will make for a smaller number of institutions competing at the highest levels and, as a result, there will be major realignment over time. This will be particularly true of football and men’s hoops. There is simply too much money at stake.

As a fan, to me this is a different experience and feels just like professional sports.....because that’s what it will be. Not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly different.

Reaction Score
No one is forcing any collegiate athlete to participate. 99% of college athletes will never get a dime to play professional sports. Many are getting a top quality education and incredible experience free. Yes- they need to work hard and study hard...but that is their decision. Why Comrade Murphy thinks they need to organize collectively is very clear. He wants the power to shift from the Universities to 18-21 year olds.

How does this work for the academies? Are West Point cadets supposed to be paid ??? A West Point cadets gets an incredible education and then owes our country 8 years service. Do you think China pays its athletes???
Well, West Point Cadets do in fact get paid. In fact there is a special exemption in the rule for it.

Here is the thing though, the money has gotten so big that it has pretty much corrupted the sport. Personally I think basketball is much worse with the one and domes who have zero interest i getting a college degree. But other things too Like Saban getting what he gets in Alabama, one of the poorer states in the country, places building football only training facilities that would make the pharaohs weep with jealously, screwing over the non-P5 just to collect a few extra bucks.

I doubt this passes, but I hope and I think it brings some sense to people and makes them think about consequences. And that unlike Major League Baseball they can be regulated by the government. The NCAA has allowed itself to be bullied by a rogue group of about 60 schools Who are motivated by greed. They want to be pros without the expenses. Now they can get half of what they want, anyway.

Reaction Score
There is a vast difference in scale in FBS football...between programs.

At Alabama, where this spring, 47,218 attended the spring scrimmage...

and at Michigan and Ohio State who usually put 100,000 into the stadiums for games...and Texas and Texas A&M,,,,

Some programs have built their programs over many decades, invested 100's of million dollars, grown a fan base and alumni base and booster donations.

There has always been a division between the blue bloods and new bloods...but it becomes blurred over decades as the new bloods build programs.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm just waiting for the backlash from everywhere because Murphy is from CT. This is the next phase of realignment rule #1.

Reaction Score

They need to know it all becomes taxable. Leave it to Murphy to screw us the UCONN nation out of the one joy Ct has to offer.

Reaction Score

They are already being paid.

"A cadet at the United States Military Academy, the United States Air Force Academy, or the Coast Guard Academy, or a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy, is entitled to monthly cadet pay, or midshipman pay, at the monthly rate equal to 35 percent of the basic pay of a commissioned officer in the pay grade O–1 with less than two years of service." 37 U.S.C. 203

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom