Semi-OT: What's Holding Up Outlet Mall at the Rent? | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: What's Holding Up Outlet Mall at the Rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "grassland" is artificial. It's an empty airport. This birds are not native to this grassland because it was a forest for most of the past thousand years.

This is just more anti-business, anti-development zealotry from environmental fanatics. Welcome to Connecticut.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
An incompetent developer. The bird thing was resolved years ago. It's played down in the article.

Reaction Score
"Debate over preserving the grasslands at Rentschler started more than a decade ago as the University of Connecticut football stadium was built. Plans for an outlet center, announced earlier this year, have revived concerns among some birding enthusiasts.

But the fight against development at Rentschler is long over, according to members of the Connecticut Audubon Society and Audubon Connecticut. Plans for development at Rentschler Field and strategies to lessen any impact on grassland birds were approved when the Cabela's outdoor equipment store was built in 2007.

Fighting to stop the outlet center, a project that is backed by the Town of East Hartford and the state and federal governments, isn't realistic, said Patrick Comins, director of bird conservation for Audubon Connecticut."

When the Audubon Society's bird conservation director readily acknowledges there's no chance of blocking development, flocks of upland sandpipers, grasshopper sparrows, bobolinks, a Savannah sparrow, other grassland species, and even a great blue heron aren't delaying the outlet center development. Something else, perhaps, but not some birds nor an 83 year old warbler.

Reaction Score
This is Connecticut that's the problem. Over regulated, excessive bureaucracy, and anti-business. There is a reason we are in the bottom ten states in virtually any category having to do with taxes, costs of living, business growth, population growth, job growth, cost of regulation... the idiots in the legislature have systematically killed one of the most prosperous states in the country over the past 25 years. That's why we are a "Blue" state because it brings nothing but the blues, yet the same tax, spend and control libs are elected.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The "grassland" is artificial. It's an empty airport. This birds are not native to this grassland because it was a forest for most of the past thousand years.

This is just more anti-business, anti-development zealotry from environmental fanatics. Welcome to Connecticut.
Did you read the article?

Direct quote:
But the fight against development at Rentschler is long over, according to members of the Connecticut Audubon Society and Audubon Connecticut. Plans for development at Rentschler Field and strategies to lessen any impact on grassland birds were approved when the Cabela's outdoor equipment store was built in 2007.

Fighting to stop the outlet center, a project that is backed by the Town of East Hartford and the state and federal governments, isn't realistic, said Patrick Comins, director of bird conservation for Audubon Connecticut.

Development is backed by the state and there are no objections by the CT Audubon Society. Mr. Corcoran is clearly in minute 13 of his allotted time frame.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Did you read the article?

Direct quote:

Development is backed by the state and there are no objections by the CT Audubon Society. Mr. Corcoran is clearly in minute 13 of his allotted time frame.

Thank you for reading and understanding simple English.

Birds are not the issue. The developer that stalled Front Street was handed Rentschler. We are 10+ years in and the only thing I've ever heard was that Lowe's might be interested. Hardly what that site needs.

Reaction Score

Did you even read the article?

There's nothing holding up the development. They seemingly have gotten over the birds & grassland issue several years ago - in fact the Cabela's had some mitigation. This is about one man (and maybe a few others) that got covered by the Courant for no good reason. And 83 year old that made a little noise. Outlet shops? I don't really get it as this is late in the cycle. (my guess would be leasing velocity is the true reason that the project hasn't gotten built; money certainly could not be cheaper to borrow)

I'd say that most people don't understand the entitlement process in towns.

Reaction Score
Did you even read the article?

There's nothing holding up the development. They seemingly have gotten over the birds & grassland issue several years ago - in fact the Cabela's had some mitigation. This is about one man (and maybe a few others) that got covered by the Courant for no good reason. And 83 year old that made a little noise. Outlet shops? I don't really get it as this is late in the cycle. (my guess would be leasing velocity is the true reason that the project hasn't gotten built; money certainly could not be cheaper to borrow)

I'd say that most people don't understand the entitlement process in towns.

Did you read the article???

They are holding areas open for the birds at Renschler and buying grassland options for the birds and the birds are an important and ongoing issue. So while birds may not be the only issue, they seem to be a consideration. And even though the environmentalists seem to have accepted inevitable defeat, they still hope they can buy time.

And given that Connecticut tends to go overboard on these things....

Did you read my initial post? It's right on the money.

Reaction Score
This is Connecticut that's the problem. Over regulated, excessive bureaucracy, and anti-business. There is a reason we are in the bottom ten states in virtually any category having to do with taxes, costs of living, business growth, population growth, job growth, cost of regulation... the idiots in the legislature have systematically killed one of the most prosperous states in the country over the past 25 years. That's why we are a "Blue" state because it brings nothing but the blues, yet the same tax, spend and control libs are elected.

I was thinking the same thing. The people of the state b!tch and moan that the state is anti-business, taxes are too high and all that, then when a feasible idea is made to bring in some more jobs and probably a place for a nice night out (like Blue Back Square or the Shoppes at Evergreen Walk), one person throws up his arms over non-native birds. There is literally no winning in the state, just compromises that make no one happy.

Reaction Score
Semi unrelated but what's good with that house that the fence like goes around at the entrance to blue lot? I'd like to see the school purchase it and something cool.

Reaction Score
Did you read the article???

They are holding areas open for the birds at Renschler and buying grassland options for the birds and the birds are an important and ongoing issue. So while birds may not be the only issue, they seem to be a consideration. And even though the environmentalists seem to have accepted inevitable defeat, they still hope they can buy time.

And given that Connecticut tends to go overboard on these things....

Did you read my initial post? It's right on the money.

The project has had all necessary approvals for quite some time. The developer is the only hold up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am a bird guy. And there is nothing worse than a bunch of birdwatchers who think they are experts in bird preservation. It would be a little sad to see that habitat eliminated as kestrels also will lose out but there are other places they can go...but not many. Perhaps the river-abutting properties along the East Hartford and South Windsor region can be made into grassland.

But man, how many outlet centers do we need? Just them following a revenue stream. Too bad a part of the P&W complex couldn't be re-used.

Reaction Score
It doesn't say that in the article.
But it is the truth. There is insufficient demand for another outlet center in the region. Two south in Clinton/Westbrook, 1 coming at Foxwoods, 1 in West Stockbridge/Lenox and the equivalent of outlet malls at Buckland Hills and Enfiled malls based on how they are tenanted right now. Outlet malls thrive when they are next to a destination/vacation area that drives traffic from out of region shoppers. There is nothing to drive shoppers to the Rent area except Cabelas. And Cabelas shoppers are not going to the Polo, Nordstrom, Nike, etc. outlet stores. Cabelas is its own draw It does not need anything else. And bargain shoppers from the higher income demographics around Hartford (Avon, West Hartford, Farmington, etc), they will go to NYC before they go to East Hartford to shop.

The entire retail concept at the Rent should be rethought and changed into an entertainment/dining venue. The best potential tenant, Dave and Busters, is now in Manchester (although I do not think D & B as a company has a lot of play left in that format, plus their food sucks). They need to put a new multi-plex theater there with all the bells and whistles along with about 5 bars/clubs and another 5-6 restaurants. Something along the lines of this -
http://boisespectrumcenter.com/

Would be great for year round draw, close enough to Hartford to attract some of the younger people that will be in the new residential and a vital link/entertainment destination for events at the Rent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If birds are a problem, let me know.

I have no problem spending an afternoon there feeding hordes of sparrows into a paper shredder if need be.

Reaction Score
Semi unrelated but what's good with that house that the fence like goes around at the entrance to blue lot? I'd like to see the school purchase it and something cool.
I believe the owner refused to sell his lot at the time of groundbreaking.It looks ridiculous sitting there in no man's land.

Reaction Score
I believe the owner refused to sell his lot at the time of groundbreaking.It looks ridiculous sitting there in no man's land.
It looks vacant now I think there may even be a for sale sign.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I am a bird guy. And there is nothing worse than a bunch of birdwatchers who think they are experts in bird preservation. It would be a little sad to see that habitat eliminated as kestrels also will lose out but there are other places they can go...but not many. Perhaps the river-abutting properties along the East Hartford and South Windsor region can be made into grassland.

But man, how many outlet centers do we need? Just them following a revenue stream. Too bad a part of the P&W complex couldn't be re-used.

It was. The UTC property is over 1000 acres. As the article states, there was acceptable mitigation. Not just from the DEEP but the Audubon Society. The HC just found some crackpot.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The entire retail concept at the Rent should be rethought and changed into an entertainment/dining venue. The best potential tenant, Dave and Busters, is now in Manchester (although I do not think D & B as a company has a lot of play left in that format, plus their food sucks). They need to put a new multi-plex theater there with all the bells and whistles along with about 5 bars/clubs and another 5-6 restaurants. Something along the lines of this -

Would be great for year round draw, close enough to Hartford to attract some of the younger people that will be in the new residential and a vital link/entertainment destination for events at the Rent.

This was exactly the concept promoted at the time with a residential component, not unlike Evergreen Walk, but including a supermarket, maybe even a hotel. I doubt the market supports a supermarket without inclusive residential, and residential/hotel would be tough right now, but a retail entertainment center is certainly doable.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They reference habitats such as Bradley and the Rent like they are the grasslands of the Savanna. The birds have adapted to the environment that's been manipulated by human beings. They did so decades ago and they will do so again. Lots of birds and other animals do so.

Reaction Score
But it is the truth. There is insufficient demand for another outlet center in the region. Two south in Clinton/Westbrook, 1 coming at Foxwoods, 1 in West Stockbridge/Lenox and the equivalent of outlet malls at Buckland Hills and Enfiled malls based on how they are tenanted right now. Outlet malls thrive when they are next to a destination/vacation area that drives traffic from out of region shoppers. There is nothing to drive shoppers to the Rent area except Cabelas. And Cabelas shoppers are not going to the Polo, Nordstrom, Nike, etc. outlet stores. Cabelas is its own draw It does not need anything else. And bargain shoppers from the higher income demographics around Hartford (Avon, West Hartford, Farmington, etc), they will go to NYC before they go to East Hartford to shop.

Orrrr if East Hartford's Old Burnside Brewery were able to open something similar to what Hooker is doing downtown.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

you don't even live here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul