Semi OT sort of: Well.....no games for me this year...... | The Boneyard

Semi OT sort of: Well.....no games for me this year......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I received word on Monday that my position at Charter is no more as of August 12th.

I was given a choice of:

A) Severance Package (not very impressive) or
B) another position within the company. (the one I am choosing)

However.....the hours are 12:30pm to 9pm (a good chance that I would not get home as late as 10pm) Tuesday through Saturday with Saturday hours of 10am to 6:30pm (probably home at 7:30pm):oops: .

So needless to say unless the girls play on Sunday or Monday, I will not even a game this year. Just when they were thinking of bringing some games to Bridgeport....sigh. My reenacting career is also in danger of being non existent. :mad: Not to mention not seeing very much of my wife:( ......I just thank God (sorry, mods) that I had a choice although not a very good one.....I will be looking to see if there are other positions with better hours but that mean a pay cut but it might be worth it to keep my sanity (what little I have...LOL)

Sorry for the interruption. Please proceed with the arguing.....:)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that it will interfere with so much that is important to you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear the news. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear.
At least there typically several games on Sunday/Mondays.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I guess you can be thankful you were given a choice, especially in this economy. Bright side there are usually plenty of Sat/Mon games. And there is always a DVR for everything else.(oh and you can sleep in in the mornings :))

The toughest part (at least for me) would be losing the family time. :(

We'll still be here for ya though. (not sure if that's good or bad :confused:)

Reaction Score
Being in the business I'm in, I often get similar messages from friends and acquaintances (usually no alternative job is offered and they're OUT).

While trite and cliché, I always tell them, "There's life after COMPANY X: It might even be a better life".

Not much consolation but, it's surprising how often a job change - even later in the career arc - turns out to be an opportunity.

PS: You'll continue making an income (with benefits) and you still have your days to keep busy (and perhaps, develop other options).

PPS: I hardly EVER watch the games in "real time" -I can wait an hour and eliminate the ads (or pitches). God bless the DVR.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Best of luck to you. I'll give you the same unsolicited advice I give my kids.

There is only one person looking after your best interests and its NOT your boss. AND
sometimes this type of experience is just an opportunity in disguise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am sorry to hear that your position was eliminated but I am glad that they value you enough to offer you an alternative, albeit a less appealing one. Be grateful that you still have employment in this difficult economy.

I'll say a prayer for you that will find something more to your liking soon.

One door closes....

Reaction Score
I was given the same kind of choice years ago.

I was hired at Aetna back in 1989, as a paralegal in the Claim Legal dept., in the "big house" (home office) in Hartford. Left a law firm job to go there & thought I had it made. Four months later, I was laid off in the first big staff reduction Aetna had. My supervisors told me they "fought like tigers" to keep me because I had already shown myself to be the best in my position in the department, but no one cared about that. Last in, first out. "Deselected," they called it.
Fortunately, my direct supervisors cared enough to arrange for me to work for the Aetna "staff counsel" office in Hartford. It was set up like a law firm, but everyone was an Aetna employee and only did Aetna insurance defense work. The lead attorney there had been lobbying to get a paralegal for some time. Gave me both corporate experience, and more law firm-like experience. I worked some nice years there. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I really hope the change in position works out for you, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom