Semi OT - Grass | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just read an article about a Polo event sponsored by Donald Trump at his Palm Beach mansion Mira Lago. Just as the Polo event started, a very heavy rain started and rain came down for the entire event. All the participants said the grass held up extremely well. Trump said he had special “Champions Grass” planted so he could host this event and not be concerned aboutgrass/ turf damage. I don’t know anything about grass (no wise cracks please) but it seems like Rent grass is always getting torn up. Can anyone comment on - Should “Champions Grass” be considered for the Rent?

Reaction Score
Just read an article about a Polo event sponsored by Donald Trump at his Palm Beach mansion Mira Lago. Just as the Polo event started, a very heavy rain started and rain came down for the entire event. All the participants said the grass held up extremely well. Trump said he had special “Champions Grass” planted so he could host this event and not be concerned aboutgrass/ turf damage. I don’t know anything about grass (no wise cracks please) but it seems like Rent grass is always getting torn up. Can anyone comment on - Should “Champions Grass” be considered for the Rent?

Do you mean this?

http://www.championturffarms.com/

Reaction Score
I would really prefer to see artificul turf put in. I think it looks so much better then grass. I know that turf is not the best for soccer, when there trying to host future games. But dosen't the New England Revolution Play at Gillette and thats turf right?

Reaction Score

Bit different growing conditions in Palm Beach and East Hartford - no?

Here is the solution (best of both worlds) - but bucko bucks that Global Spectrum is unlikely to pony up.

Reaction Score
I would really prefer to see artificul turf put in. I think it looks so much better then grass. I know that turf is not the best for soccer, when there trying to host future games. But dosen't the New England Revolution Play at Gillette and thats turf right?

MLS allows play on turf ... FIFA does not. When an artificial turf stadium hosts a FIFA event they must lay grass over the artificial surface.

Reaction Score
Grass down south and up north are completely different, prob wouldn't work here.

Did anyone watch the FCS Championship game in Texas? It was played in an MLS stadium and that natural turf was terrible! Looked like it was planted in sand and was getting torn to ! Was far worse than The Rent. At this point with all the issues we've had I would like to see something done in East Hartford....redo!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I assume the field is maintained by the stadium and not UCONN. If someone can confirm this, then there is your answer as to why the grass is so inconsistent. A larger programs the stadium grass is well cared for, protected from damage when not in use and replaced as necessary before it looks like garbage. You'd think an University with a healthy Ag department would take that on.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In terms of stadium improvements, I think addressing the turf is numero uno on the list. Either re-sod the entire field or put in the field turf. If we're keeping grass to *maybe* host a U.S. National soccer game (and I love soccer!), then that's silly. Mexico games will always be played in Columbus, as they should, and other friendlies against top world competition will be held in larger venues. What's of bigger concern is the primary tenant playing on that field and the players' safety.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I assume the field is maintained by the stadium and not UCONN. If someone can confirm this, then there is your answer as to why the grass is so inconsistent. A larger programs the stadium grass is well cared for, protected from damage when not in use and replaced as necessary before it looks like garbage. You'd think an University with a healthy Ag department would take that on.
As far as I can remember the turf at Memorial Stadium rarely, if ever, got torn up as bad as the turf at the Rent. And I believe UConn maintained the turf at Memorial. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the pride of the Agronomy Dept and School of Agriculture & Natural Resource, which is where I got my undergrad degree back then. Heck, UConn has always been one of the top Ag schools in the country, so you'd think they might be consulted about the turf issue at the Rent. But, I guess that's either too logical or "inconvenient" now.

Reaction Score
They did put down new grass this year (maybe before the Louisville game) and put in new grass that is supposedly better for the soil. I don't remember the grass being bad the last couple of games so time will tell if this actually helps

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
MLS allows play on turf ... FIFA does not. When an artificial turf stadium hosts a FIFA event they must lay grass over the artificial surface.
Untrue. BUT...FIFA has extremely high standards. Presumably those standards cost a pretty and ultra-shiny penny.

That is why I'm interested in the cost-benefit of the Meadowlands style grass trays of the mid 2000s.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Untrue. BUT...FIFA has extremely high standards. Presumably those standards cost a pretty and ultra-shiny penny.

That is why I'm interested in the cost-benefit of the Meadowlands style grass trays of the mid 2000s.
What's untrue? Those grass trays were the worst thing ever and the field became a freaking mess. I remember reading all about the grass plate technology when it came out and how it was going to keep the grass fresh, etc. It was a disaster and they got rid of it in a few years if I recall correctly. I believe that our field would be in worse shape using those plates than if we stuck with just the grass we lay down.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What's untrue? Those grass trays were the worst thing ever and the field became a freaking mess. I remember reading all about the grass plate technology when it came out and how it was going to keep the grass fresh, etc. It was a disaster and they got rid of it in a few years if I recall correctly. I believe that our field would be in worse shape using those plates than if we stuck with just the grass we lay down.
FIFA allows FieldTurf, but it must be of the highest quality (1 or 2 star). This level of quality costs quite a few duckets that that installed at Oakwood in Glastonbury, for example. Otherwise they prefer natural grass on all FIFA sanctioned pitches.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
FIFA allows FieldTurf, but it must be of the highest quality (1 or 2 star). This level of quality costs quite a few duckets that that installed at Oakwood in Glastonbury, for example. Otherwise they prefer natural grass on all FIFA sanctioned pitches.
Gotcha. I think there's a YouTube clip in the thread above that's about the field turf/grass combo that installed at Wembly. Wicked expensive.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe they can farm it out to UMass. I think they are pretty good with golf courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom