Semi OT - Brilliant Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Brilliant Analysis

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ha. My alma mater is UMass I was there in the glory days of Marcus camby, lou roe, donta bright, Dana dingle and Edgar Padilla. Hell of a squad. UMass and UConn were 1 and 2 in the country back then. Had to hold down my UConn roots tho. Took a lot of heat up in Amherst for that. Great time to be in southern New England for college hoops. Incredible.
When I was a High School freshman, our basketball coach, a grad student (IIRC, Could have just been an upperclassman) at Holy Cross scored 16 tickets to the Round of 32 session behind the basket at the Worcester Centrum when UMass beat 'Cuse in OT. It was awesome.

Folks in Massachusetts didn't have a lot to cling to in the early 90s, sports-wise. UMass and BC started to emerge ahead of the pro teams. It was kind of exciting to watch local upstart underdogs.

I still have the ball cap from that game (even though it hasn't fit my head in 20 years)...I still went to UConn...Still hate 'Cuse (and BC).

arch

Reaction Score
It was mentioned in a different thread, but during the Butler game, "Whaley almost got away with a travel," but play kept on.

Either he got away with a travel, or it was called, and he didn't get away with it.
or, he didn’t travel but he almost did and it wasn’t called.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
or, he didn’t travel but he almost did and it wasn’t called.
I'm not so sure about that.

Those words, in that order, do not mean this.

The only way for the announcer's call to be correct would be if the player actually travelled and the refs blew the whistle for the travel a bit late.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been forced to listen to a few UConn games on the radio. Mike Crispino loves to call the line at half court the DIVISION LINE. I cringe every time he says it.
Mike needs to give the score more often.

Reaction Score
The only way for the announcer's call to be correct would be if the player actually travelled and the refs blew the whistle for the travel a bit late.
Can't believe this conversation is still going on, nor should I be contributing to it, but:

The literal implication of his statement (that "Whaley almost got away with a travel") is that Squirrel almost committed a travel that wouldn't be called by the referee (as if it were possible to know such a thing ahead of time.) This is obviously a non-sensical concept.

On the other hand, we all know what he meant! Come on, guys!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"You cannot lose games in the NFL and expect to win." Trent Dilfer.
LOL. This actually makes some sense, though in the right context. Take the Jets-Raiders game for example. The 0-1,000,000 Jets pulled ahead in the last minute, and it looked like it would take a miracle for the Raiders to pull it out...exactly what Gregg Williams gave the Raiders.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"One Marshall handcuffed the other Marshall!"

-Bill Raftery description of Donny throwing a bad pass to Donyell in the 90's
That’s actually funny and at least describing the actual action.

In the DePaul game this week, UConn’s big initial surge had shrunk to 6 points and I don’t know which one of the announcing clown team observed at a time out break that the game has been “all UConn”. They do need to fill air time so maybe they can discuss something constructive like where to get the best brisket sandwich.

Reaction Score
And then there is Bill Walton.... Need I say more? (I obviously missed the posts above about Bill)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i made it all the way to the time in the game when things started to go sideways, say 2nd quarter, listening to beavis and butthead. then, knowing that the rough patch was their fault, i switched to all punk radio. problem solved.
can someone pass a law mandating that all our games be called by clark and bill? isn't that what hoops heaven sounds like?
kara lawson is a sharp cookie on the mike, too. hopefully, she'll quit her new job, and return to broadcasting.

C

Chief00

Always enjoyed listening to Clyde Frazier's spin on the game and the English Language..

Clearly not a college commentator..

Try to catch Raf whenever possible.. His partners on the broadcast/telecast are having as much fun as the listening audience.. Would be fun to sit down with him and have an adult beverage .. Had a lot of respect for JC's impact in Storrs..

Can't go through LIfe without listening to one of Bill Walton's telecasts.. Occasional comments on the game LOL
Thanks for sharing those observations.

Reaction Score
A Dingle Berry?
1610599978911.jpeg

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Dorothy Hamill at the Winter Olympics, many moons ago

”I think the person who skates the best will win”

Reaction Score
From the NFL, “Only (insert your favorite quarterback’s name here) could make that throw.”

Reaction Score
Now this is actually funny. Chicago Cubs, Harry Caray, “I didn’t recognize Jessica (the ball girl) with her pants on”.

On a cold afternoon at Wrigley. High comedy.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
You should read Phil Mushnick in the NY Post. He's constantly calling out stupid announcer talk in his articles. Today's rant was all football.

"After Titans defensive back Kenny Vaccaro knocked down a pass, ESPN’s Louis Riddick called it “a PBU.” Pro Bowl Underwear? Public Bath Ukulele? Editor and sparring partner Drew Loftis informs us, it’s for “pass breakup,” the same number syllables as PBU."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ridicule works. It's been a while since I've heard "score the basketball." Admittedly, it's been a while since I've heard Doris Burke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom