Semi OT - Brilliant Analysis | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Brilliant Analysis

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Almost every broadcast I watch has some bizarre, comical, obvious, or idiotic comment from the broadcasters that just makes me shake my head. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So this thread could be (hopefully should be) an ongoing thread of those comments that tickle you. Add context and broadcaster as needed.

I'll start with the the beginning of the Providence Marquette game:

"Both teams are in the middle of the Big East pack. You really don't want to stay there. You kinda want to move up."

Reaction Score
The defense for Kentucky has been very suspicious-Dick Vitale 5 minutes ago.

Alabama up 12 at halftime ??

Reaction Score
"bingo, bango, dingle, dango!"- D. Vitale after a dunk by Umass player Dana Dingle

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last night Gaff got called for a charge at about the 10 min mark. Defender had sagged off of Akok who was behind 3 point line on the wing.

Announcer praised the players for executing a scouting report because Akok isn't a shooter.

As announcer was praising the defender during the replay, Akok had grabbed Gaff's pass and sank the 3. Didn't count but I found it a bit ironic that Akok sinks the shot while announcer is saying he isn't a shooter.

Reaction Score
A classic exchange on a Whalers radio broadcast between Chuck Kaiton and Andre Lacroix. 5-3 in between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Chuck: Andre, what do the Whalers need to do to get back in this thing?
Andre (thick Canadian accent): Well, Chuck. The Whaler need to score 3 goal and not let up any more goal the rest of the game.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Last night Gaff got called for a charge at about the 10 min mark. Defender had sagged off of Akok who was behind 3 point line on the wing.

Announcer praised the players for executing a scouting report because Akok isn't a shooter.

As announcer was praising the defender during the replay, Akok had grabbed Gaff's pass and sank the 3. Didn't count but I found it a bit ironic that Akok sinks the shot while announcer is saying he isn't a shooter.
Same, wonder what the analyst was thinking when Akok went splash just as he said Akok was not a shooter.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Good thread to get my I hate Dakich rant on. I had it on Michigan-Wisconsin initially tonight but couldn't take him yelling and letting everyone know he knows basketball better than anyone else. I've studied more film, I was an asst. coach under Bobby Knight, f'in Ted Kitchel this, Ted Kitchel that. He suffocates a game to the point where you just have to put it on mute to watch. And who is he anyhow, he talks like he has done something, always a bunch of false bravado and defining what is a "tough guy" and distinguishing from a fake tough guy. This guy, along with dick Vitale, drive me crazy. Can't wait until meatheads like this fool and dick retire.

Reaction Score
Always enjoyed listening to Clyde Frazier's spin on the game and the English Language..

Clearly not a college commentator..

Try to catch Raf whenever possible.. His partners on the broadcast/telecast are having as much fun as the listening audience.. Would be fun to sit down with him and have an adult beverage .. Had a lot of respect for JC's impact in Storrs..

Can't go through LIfe without listening to one of Bill Walton's telecasts.. Occasional comments on the game LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During the Titans - Ravens game this weekend, I believe it was Ian Eagle, with the Titans up 10-0 says the Ravens are not built to come from behind. The final score: Ravens 20 Titans 13. There was so much game left when he said it, that it made no sense to me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

To be fair, Akok hasn't shot much since February.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
During the Titans - Ravens game this weekend, I believe it was Ian Eagle, with the Titans up 10-0 says the Ravens are not built to come from behind. The final score: Ravens 20 Titans 13. There was so much game left when he said it, that it made no sense to me.

To be fair they later showed a graphic about how long it had been since the Ravens won a game after trailing by 10. It was a significant number of games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was mentioned in a different thread, but during the Butler game, "Whaley almost got away with a travel," but play kept on.

Either he got away with a travel, or it was called, and he didn't get away with it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The play-by-play guy for the woman’s team call jump shots “floaters”. It annoys me every time.

Reaction Score
Almost every broadcast I watch has some bizarre, comical, obvious, or idiotic comment from the broadcasters that just makes me shake my head. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So this thread could be (hopefully should be) an ongoing thread of those comments that tickle you. Add context and broadcaster as needed.

I'll start with the the beginning of the Providence Marquette game:

"Both teams are in the middle of the Big East pack. You really don't want to stay there. You kinda want to move up."
Miss listening to Joe D with the sound turned down on the TV.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Similarly you can’t watch an NBA game without the commentators marveling at how the score swings wildly throughout the game “the lead was 18 and now it’s 5!” “The lead has ballooned back to 12!!” They act like this is the first time this has happened but that’s the flow of every. game.

Reaction Score

That was not a good call

Reaction Score
Dana Dingle once made a great alley oop pass to Craig Berry.
Ha. My alma mater is UMass I was there in the glory days of Marcus camby, lou roe, donta bright, Dana dingle and Edgar Padilla. Hell of a squad. UMass and UConn were 1 and 2 in the country back then. Had to hold down my UConn roots tho. Took a lot of heat up in Amherst for that. Great time to be in southern New England for college hoops. Incredible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom