Self-assuredness or stubborn arrogance | The Boneyard

Self-assuredness or stubborn arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I want to believe that Coach D is stripping the program down to it's frame to create a consistent top 25 program. I think in his mind that is exactly what is going on right now no matter how much the fans, players, students, faculty, alumni or boosters suffer during the process. Hey... if next year things improve and the following things get really good then all is well, but.....

..... the last few interviews I've noticed an almost adversarial tone in his responses to the press which is a complete 180 from when he first started to woo the press last winter and spring. In fairness the losses are probably starting to wear on him too as he can only stand by along the sidelines when guys jump off sides, throw interceptions, drop routine passes or fumble the ball on the VERY FIRST OFFENSIVE PLAY OF THE FRICKEN SEASON!! So I can understand the crossed arms and some of the short, glaring responses. It's been a long season already especially for the head honcho in his first rodeo. And now that the season looks to end up worse than last year people are rightfully second guessing this defensive guru's moves like booting McCombs, running 3 QB's this late in the season, publicly calling out upper classmen's devotion and the almost blatant admission that he was going to sacrifice wins for progression of the program.

So now I am starting to wonder if it's just a sureness of his experience and concepts that he believes in or a stubborn "I've been to the mountain top and this is going to be done my way no matter what" kind of arrogance that is fueling Coach Diaco's engine these days. Sometimes that stubborn arrogance is what wins the battle. Look at Patton...he had it. I just hope if that's what it is then he doesn't lose the war(with the players, fans and press) before he starts winning the weekly battles.

Reaction Score
He's all three...

Most coaches are self assured, stubborn, arrogant SOBs who's own mothers shake their heads at.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Most coaches have to earn that arrogance, which is why many of us are shaking our heads. As for the press conferences, I think the reporters are finally asking some real questions and not just accepting pablum and writing it down.

Reaction Score
The Press have been adversarial with him since he had the press conference introducing all three of our starting QBs. Remember when he literally asked the press to ask Chandler Whitmer a question?

Reaction Score
The real nugget in this thread is that there is media covering the team. To expect the media to do anything first requires a ......... media

Reaction Score
Stop taking cheap shots at the UConn coach, son.
There's a big difference in my critiques and some of the truly rude, childish, personal attacks that were going on before Diaco took the stage.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The loneliest guy in the state is Diaco. He is the guy crawling on the desert sand with an empty canteen being followed by vultures and hostile natives. All he has left is a FAT WALLET of OUR CASH.

Reaction Score
O'Leary was 0-11 the first year at UCF. He figured out who wanted to play then built it. I'll say that he is doing that and hope.

Its what we all have to hope for.

I just want Coach Diaco to doing an honest self assessment after the season and make the necessary changes. Part of being a good leader is admitting when you are wrong.

I believe he is going to change the locker room culture. I also believe he has a solid group of recruits. What frightens me to no end is that he has no idea how to prepare a team for a game, and has no idea how to coach during a game.

Reaction Score
Btw. I know coaches are responsible for his team and their mistakes. But when you look back, without the bonehead errors that the players made we have at least 1-2 more wins. And the rhetoric is completely different.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Btw. I know coaches are responsible for his team and their mistakes. But when you look back, without the bonehead errors that the players made we have at least 1-2 more wins. And the rhetoric is completely different.

Which games? I'm just curious...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Which games? I'm just curious...

USF for one. You get my point. The best coaches get sabotaged by players.

You think Tressman and Chip Kelly are idiots because Aaron Rodgers made them look like idiots?

If you don't think making big mistakes in the first 5 minutes of a game changes the outcome I don't know what to tell you.

I know everyone is mad at Diaco, but if the players weren't putting us in a gigantic hole in the first quarter by laying the ball on the ground how would we feel?

Reaction Score
O'Leary was 0-11 the first year at UCF. He figured out who wanted to play then built it. I'll say that he is doing that and hope.
I recall a year after he also put on the backs of their jerseys "FAMILY" instead of players last names. Rebuilding involves much more than performance and on field results. IT's much more and much deeper than me, but WE.

Reaction Score
The loneliest guy in the state is Diaco. He is the guy crawling on the desert sand with an empty canteen being followed by vultures and hostile natives. All he has left is a FAT WALLET of OUR CASH.
He's still married with children. There are many much more lonely.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
USF for one. You get my point. The best coaches get sabotaged by players.

You think Tressman and Chip Kelly are idiots because Aaron Rodgers made them look like idiots?

If you don't think making big mistakes in the first 5 minutes of a game changes the outcome I don't know what to tell you.

I know everyone is mad at Diaco, but if the players weren't putting us in a gigantic hole in the first quarter by laying the ball on the ground how would we feel?

Bless your soul that you believe USF was a play or two away. We threw the ball 3 times until about 6 minutes left to go in a 17-7 game, where our 7 came from a miracle pick-6 at the end of the first half.

Your point is well taken about how many fumbles we've given away, but I don't think that's what everyone is mad about. It's certainly not what I'm mad about. I'm mad about a supposed "process" trumping the desire to win games. I'm mad about game-planning that seems to not have any plan. If we were losing these games simply due to the turnovers and playing the other team even up the rest of the way, I wouldn't feel the way I'm feeling right now...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He also didn't teach Andrew Adams to pick off 3 balls in one game. But we won because he did.

I know. This team is 1-9 without that effort. That's the even scarier part...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Bless your soul that you believe USF was a play or two away. We threw the ball 3 times until about 6 minutes left to go in a 17-7 game, where our 7 came from a miracle pick-6 at the end of the first half. Your point is well taken about how many fumbles we've given away, but I don't think that's what everyone is mad about. It's certainly not what I'm mad about. I'm mad about a supposed "process" trumping the desire to win games. I'm mad about game-planning that seems to not have any plan. If we were losing these games simply due to the turnovers and playing the other team even up the rest of the way, I wouldn't feel the way I'm feeling right now...

Fine. But you think this team could win 6 games and go to a bowl? I did. But I also didn't think Cochran would go down.

So if they can't win 6 games and go to a bowl what is better. Process and next year? Or 4 wins?

So even if we beat Army we still would have been thumped by Cinci. And we would be 3-8 instead of 2-9. You would really feel that much better? Please.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't feel the way I'm feeling right now...

lorezapam.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see any arrogance in Diaco - at least not any more than you'd expect from a head football coach. Not sure I see assuredness, either.

I just see a lot of things that are incomprehensible - the quarterback rotations, the press conferences, the offense...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Fine. But you think this team could win 6 games and go to a bowl? I did. But I also didn't think Cochran would go down.

So if they can't win 6 games and go to a bowl what is better. Process and next year? Or 4 wins?

So even if we beat Army we still would have been thumped by Cinci. And we would be 3-8 instead of 2-9. You would really feel that much better? Please.

I agree with you that a process and next year is better, so long as there is actually a process! So the answer is, "Yes, I would feel that much better about an Army win, because it would tell me that with an extra week to prepare, this coaching staff could game plan one of the worst teams in D-1." The fact that they couldn't doesn't fill me with hope for there being a true process.

Nobody hopes they are wrong more than I do. Nobody hopes that they eat crow more than I do. I hope we go 13-0 next year (literally, not '97). And if we have a great turnaround, I will be the first on the board to eat my words, I promise you that. It's not in my nature to be negative. But in the immortal words of Poison; "Give me something to believe in..."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Stop taking cheap shots at the UConn coach, son.
The irony. He spent most of the past few years whining incessantly about any post criticizing P or GDL.

It appears that Mrs Pasqualoni's slip is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom