Selective Minds ... | The Boneyard

Selective Minds ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love how some here can justify their doomsday vision and the damning of the UConn conference status over an arc of 6 months.

When looking at the TV contract numbers for the C-7 from Fox (reported) and the NBC offer for the remaining BE (reported) ... would you say that the exit of Louisville - circa first week of December - makes a Big Difference?

Wouldn't Louisville - Connecticut - Cincinnati - Memphis - Temple be a core basketball league far superior to the C-7? Even looking at the four remaining, I have a tough time with the Seton Hall v Providence level. They can add Butler or Dayton or Xavier; it just is not near what a Louisville v Cincinnati or Louisville v UConn has been. And UConn? I think there was healthy scepticism about what the transition to Kevin Ollie from Calhoun would bring. Now we know: it is likely to be a more robust period than any that Kentucky, Indiana or North Carolina experienced post-legend. Syracuse? Show me a Mike Hopkins win?

On February 1st, we are not where we were on November 1st. For my part, I refuse to read every twitter on the B1G or ACC; I just don't believe we are going to be saved instantly. I don't think Susan Herbst is doing a poor job (Warde Manual is still a question mark not a Rock Star). And, I do think that this tightly forming Cartel of 60 Universities and $20m Plus contracts (as contrasted with $2m contracts for the next 15 truly deserving) is NOT going to hold. There will be an 8 team Playoff in the not-so-distant future. There will be "content" opportunities beyond the Big Contracts. And, WE (*UConn) should not do anything that ties us longterm. And, we should have expanded the Rent when the Capital Markets were easy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Riiiiight. We already turned down the ACC twice and will turn them down again because the $20 mil vs. $2 mil gap is not going to hold. We just need to collect underpants.

url

The difference between you and HFD is that HFD thinks we have a B1G invite in the bag and you think the NNNNNNBE is the B1G.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Any sane basketball fan would add Cincy and Uconn to the C7 and then add Butler, Xavier, and Creighton. Uconn football is in the back seat again. Football would never dominate that conference and the loss off both Cincy and Uconn would not destroy it.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Any sane basketball fan would add Cincy and Uconn to the C7 and then add Butler, Xavier, and Creighton. Uconn football is in the back seat again. Football would never dominate that conference and the loss off both Cincy and Uconn would not destroy it.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Again>?

This is Dead. You cannot sink UConn football in this environment. Just stupid.

Reaction Score
Riiiiight. We already turned down the ACC twice and will turn them down again because the $20 mil vs. $2 mil gap is not going to hold. We just need to collect underpants.

url

The difference between you and HFD is that HFD thinks we have a B1G invite in the bag and you think the NNNNNNBE is the B1G.

I am not going to insult your reading comprehension ... as some here would.

WE are NOT in the ACC for specific reasons. Mostly, because we are NEW at Bigtime football. We all know that we did not turn down the ACC; we did not get invited. There is nothing but hard work ahead.

The $2m versus $20m Gap makes no economic sense. I get that we are now down to one thrifty NBC as a bidder; maybe ESPN. But, the biggest problem there is that you aren't selling anything that has legs. Who would step up and give a good contract IF you have no reasonable expectation that some of your main draws are itching to leave.

As for the HFD comment, he drinks. He is high. And, if you are going to insult me, then I am going to go "all-whaler" on your posts for awhile. You have never been a font of intellectual acuity.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I am not going to insult your reading comprehension ... as some here would.
Oh thank you for not doing that. That's so big of you.

WE are NOT in the ACC for specific reasons. Mostly, because we are NEW at Bigtime football. We all know that we did not turn down the ACC; we did not get invited. There is nothing but hard work ahead.
I don't disagree here. I suppose I could have added the sarcasm tag but I figured your reading comprehension was up to par. (That's me not insulting your reading comprehension)

The $2m versus $20m Gap makes no economic sense. I get that we are now down to one thrifty NBC as a bidder; maybe ESPN. But, the biggest problem there is that you aren't selling anything that has legs. Who would step up and give a good contract IF you have no reasonable expectation that some of your main draws are itching to leave.
It doesn't make sense to you? You just laid out a pretty good reason why it does make sense. It's not just us. It's Cincy, Houston, possibly USF to the B12 and/or ACC. Heck maybe even Temple will angle for an ACC invite. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be of the opinion that if the contract will be fine and dandy only if UConn keeps trotting Herbst out saying how the new league is a band of brothers and everything's peachy (which she did have to do while the contract was in early stages of negotiation, some Yarders want her to spout the "looking out for our best interests" line but I think that is window dressing). The value that NBCSN has assigned to the league is the real value. It's not going to get near ACC per school numbers as long as there are potential schools to be poached by big boy conferences. If someone else comes in and gives us $20 mil per I will eat crow.

As for the HFD comment, he drinks. He is high. And, if you are going to insult me, then I am going to go "all-whaler" on your posts for awhile. You have never been a font of intellectual acuity.
Seriously, all it took was a little snark for you to go full whaler? Geez. Relax bro.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm the eternal optimist. Even as a Mets and Jets fan, I'm the guy who thinks this year is really going to be different. Rather than finding a new way to break my heart, things are really going to be surprisingly better. It will all work out. Some determination, some grit and some divine intervention and voila! it will all be OK.

It's not looking good for us. Maybe we're the newcomer that everyone wants to slap. Maybe we got screwed over by ESPN and/or the ACC. Maybe the B1G hasn't even noticed we exist. Whatever it is, we're in a precarious situation. Our conference situation has decayed enough so that we're worth less than the C7 schools.

None of it makes sense. There is no knight in shining armor. We simply have to sit back and hope that our Athletic Dept doesn't disgorge enough $ that we have to give up football before we get a seat on the big boy bus.

Some don't like us. Some fear us. And some don't really care about us.

It sucks right now but it is what it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pudge can't go all Whaler. He wouldn't be able to keep to proper capitalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom