Seen From Both Sides, Lew Perkins Can't Predict What Big 12 Will Do (J. Jacobs) | The Boneyard

Seen From Both Sides, Lew Perkins Can't Predict What Big 12 Will Do (J. Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cherry picking from long article so click the link for more.

Seen From Both Sides, Lew Perkins Can't Predict What Big 12 Will Do

>>"I haven't been involved in this, so this is all me talking — my opinion," Perkins said. "Academically, Connecticut is as good as anybody the Big 12 is looking at. I know how the presidents in that league think. That's important. UConn has been around for a long time. They run it right. They do it right. They're committed.

"The issue is travel. I listen to some guys in the Big 12 now, going to West Virginia, that's a tough trip. They're going to have to figure that out. Personally, and I just listen, I don't know if they're going to expand. If you're at Kansas, Kansas State or Iowa State [which don't get nearly the third-tier media money as Texas or Oklahoma], why do you want more people in the league? You're going to have to share. One thing they have to do, whoever they bring in, they have to bring in revenue. Connecticut is going to have to show how they can do it. They can do it in basketball. Honestly, I think they can do it in football."<<

>>"The Big 12 respects UConn basketball, there's no question about it," Perkins said. "I also know the Big 12 basketball coaches don't want to expand. It has nothing to do with Connecticut. They were told six-seven years ago to increase their schedule. They'll play Kentucky or Duke or somebody like that already. They'd have to add four more games. They don't want to do that. I know that's an issue. UConn's men's and women's teams would be a major plus for the Big 12. But that's not driving it. It goes back to what I said 30 years ago. Football. Football. Football."

Perkins said he spent a lot of time with Benedict last week. The new UConn AD, he said, also called him three or four times to discuss things. "I've got to tell you they hit a grand slam home run hiring Dave," Perkins said. "I think he's wonderful. I really do. He has worked with some great people. He gets being an athletic director."<<

>>"Connecticut has just as good a chance as anybody," said Perkins, sounding more optimistic than another former UConn AD, Todd Turner, did last week. "One thing they have is basketball. They're ahead of everybody else on that front. But football, like I said, is the big issue. The big thing here I think is they've got to start drawing. You've got to win.

"You look at the other schools. Houston is interesting. The Texas schools want them, but they don't want them. They kept them out a long time. They've also got things going down there. They're going to have trouble keeping them out. BYU? Who knows? To me, they're like Notre Dame. Stay away from them. Memphis. They're out already. Cincinnati? Who can say? There's no consensus. So why not Connecticut?"<<

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Is everyone happy? Lew Perkins was an AD during the FBS era- barely.

Reaction Score
A breath of fresh air compared to that retread, crepe hanger - Todd Turner.

Reaction Score
John Altavella has left at least half a dozen vmails with Todd Turner looking for him to refute Lew.

Reaction Score
Turner and Perkins basically said the same thing - the only difference was how the editor framed it with a title.

We have a geography problem.

I mean they diagnosed the same weakness, but Perkins also provided significantly more insight into what Big 12 country is thinking as well as discussing what he perceives as our strengths.

Again, my issue with Turner isn't in what he said, but with The Courant parading him around like an actual source on Big 12 expansion when a guy like Lew Perkins who was UConn AD during our transition to the Big East and then as KU's AD throughout the BCS era, was just a phone call away.

Reaction Score
You'd think we are in the 50's riding buses. In this day and age, a 4 hour plane flight is nothing.
In fairness, the state of CT did build the Fastrack. What a waste. Should've been light rail IMHO.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have no idea why it is so hard to get on an airplane in the American southwest - there must be something happening there that we're unaware of.

It's not really about team travel; I don't think it is anyway. I think it's about fan travel. These folks get in their RVs on Friday night/early Saturday or in their trucks towing trailers, and drive to away games regularly. They can do that almost everywhere but WVU. I don't think they want to give that up. It is a nice feature, but it's a feature from 1977. It's an aspect of college football that has been hurt by the new financial reality and the resulting expansion. It's a boat anchor around the neck of the Big 12 dragging them to the bottom because it means their media footprint is garbage.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Chartered flights are easy to arrange and transport teams very well. Our primary sporting venues are in Hartford/E Hartford, which is a very quick and easy 20 minute commute from our international airport and quite literally right off our major highways. Compare that to WVU or BYU or even some of the current members in the Big 12, who I'm fairly sure you have to rent camels and hire a few dozen local natives to navigate through the terrain for you, traveling to our venues is fairly easy.

All in all, a 2-3 hour flight with 20 minute bus to the venue is the same as a 1 hour flight and a 1-1.5 hour bus to a venue. To get much needed exposure in the northeast and expand their footprint, it's a small price to pay.

Reaction Score
I think it is pretty interesting that Lew was in town and Benedict picked his brain so much over the last week. While it could be because athletes from his era were honored at the game, it is worth noting that Lew went to Kansas when he left us.

Kansas is a Basketball centric school and they are in the B12. I'm not sure it means anything too important but it does give me hope that we are still in the game for B12 membership and that we are calling on Lew to help us with advice, networking and possibly more. Coincidental? Probably, but I sure hope not.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty interesting that Lew was in town and Benedict picked his brain so much over the last week. While it could be because athletes from his era were honored at the game, it is worth noting that Lew went to Kansas when he left us.

Kansas is a Basketball centric school and they are in the B12. I'm not sure it means anything too important but it does give me hope that we are still in the game for B12 membership and that we are calling on Lew to help us with advice, networking and possibly more. Coincidental? Probably, but I sure hope not.

Benedict is a smart cookie. I'm sure he picked Lew's brain as to what were the barriers back then to move up to FBS level and how several B12 ADs/Presidents think.

Reaction Score

It means very little, because they had the golden ticket of "we are already in the league".

Reaction Score
What did you guys think of Lew when he was AD @ UConn? Jayhawks tend to have very mixed feelings. Left in a bad way in the wake of a ticket scandal and some other reports of how he liked to travel for work. He also pissed off a bunch of alumni by making seating at Allen Fieldhouse based on donation levels and not historic hand-downs of the tickets. But he also raised a struggling athletic department to one of the top revenue and donation earning AD's in the conference and was a very bullish and forceful presence for progress. And it helps that the zenith of Jayhawks athletics - 2008, with an NCAA hoops title and BCS Orange Bowl title - occurred under his watch.

Reaction Score
What did you guys think of Lew when he was AD @ UConn? Jayhawks tend to have very mixed feelings. Left in a bad way in the wake of a ticket scandal and some other reports of how he liked to travel for work. He also pissed off a bunch of alumni by making seating at Allen Fieldhouse based on donation levels and not historic hand-downs of the tickets. But he also raised a struggling athletic department to one of the top revenue and donation earning AD's in the conference and was a very bullish and forceful presence for progress. And it helps that the zenith of Jayhawks athletics - 2008, with an NCAA hoops title and BCS Orange Bowl title - occurred under his watch.

He's a chode, but he was good at being an AD. I'm pretty confident that, had he taken over for Toner in 87, or if he hadn't left in 2003, we'd be in a real league by now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

You answered it yourself. He did what needed to be done to elevate the department. Exactly why you hired him away from UConn.

There are always a number of beards that oppose any sort of change. We keep ours on the women's basketball board but a few occasionally escape. :p

Reaction Score
You answered it yourself. He did what needed to be done to elevate the department. Exactly why you hired him away from UConn.

There are always a number of beards that oppose any sort of change. We keep ours on the women's basketball board but a few occasionally escape. :p
I wasn't too trilled when UConn basketball got hot in 1990 and getting tickets became very difficult. Luckily I had a vendor with a skybox, and a friend who was a scalper.

Reaction Score
Chartered flights are easy to arrange and transport teams very well. Our primary sporting venues are in Hartford/E Hartford, which is a very quick and easy 20 minute commute from our international airport and quite literally right off our major highways. Compare that to WVU or BYU or even some of the current members in the Big 12, who I'm fairly sure you have to rent camels and hire a few dozen local natives to navigate through the terrain for you, traveling to our venues is fairly easy.

All in all, a 2-3 hour flight with 20 minute bus to the venue is the same as a 1 hour flight and a 1-1.5 hour bus to a venue. To get much needed exposure in the northeast and expand their footprint, it's a small price to pay.

when will the NCAA let the non-revenue sports return to regional conferences?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The difference with us and WVU is that campus is 45 mins from the closest international airport compared to an hour and a half for WVU and Rentschler is like 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom