Seems Everybody In UConn Land Is Going GaGa | The Boneyard

Seems Everybody In UConn Land Is Going GaGa

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This would include Geno who just put a big weight on Paige's shoulders:

I am going to be saying, ‘You know what, we wouldn’t have won the national championship without her,’” Auriemma said about what he expects to be saying about Bueckers by the end of her freshman year.

"By herself, she can’t win anything. But with the people I think we are going to surround her with, I think we can do great things.”

“This kid was meant to be a basketball player,” Auriemma said of Bueckers. “She was born to be a basketball player. She just plays like 'this is my personal playground. When I get the ball, I can do whatever I want with it, and you can’t stop me. And I just have fun with it.’

I hope everyone else enjoys the show too. She seems to be someone who carries the weight with grace.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I said this in the other thread about these comments. I’m a little surprised at Geno. He did attempt to walk it back, but it’s too late. The horse is out of the barn.

I sure hope he’s right.

HGN

Reaction Score
I said this in the other thread about these comments. I’m a little surprised at Geno. He did attempt to walk it back, but it’s too late. The horse is out of the barn.

I sure hope he’s right.
Oldude, I agree with Geno. This year's team is good. But next year's team is really going to be special. An outstanding starting 5 , with quality and talented depth.

Reaction Score
Geno knows who he has coming in. The last time he spoke of incoming players with this kind of confidence was 2012. Guess he really meant it when he said he wants to go back to being bad for WCBB.

Coach Geno says what he thinks, he doesn't suger coat anything. Yes, the last time I heard him make statements like this about a kid being great was Breanna Stewart.

This is extraordinary praise. And confidence not just in her, but in the team he's created to surround her.

Really surprising that he would go that far in his comments.

Going to be fun!

Reaction Score
Bueckers doesn't win every game she plays but I've never seen her in the least bit unsure or intimidated. I've heard the chants of "over-rated" at a couple of her road games. She loves it.
I had a teacher a long time time ago who had a long speech about talent and those who doubt theirs and the people who lack talent but act as if they have it. Bueckers is a player who is great and who knows she is great. And from what I have seen she accepts all the pressure and even relishes it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I know I'm just pretty giddy these days - about this years team and the prospect of future teams. :D:D
I'll bet you and many others did not feel that way this time last season. ;) I know I did not, not as much success as UConn has had recruiting. Geno has done an outstanding job of surrounding Paige with upper tier talent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, I agree with Geno. This year's team is good. But next year's team is really going to be special. An outstanding starting 5 , with quality and talented depth.
I don’t disagree. But I’ve never seen Geno publicly lay that kind of pressure on an incoming freshman, particularly when she’s still in HS.

Reaction Score
Who are the 11 number one recruits, excluding EDD. Anyone know?

Bueckers, Williams, Walker, Samuelson, KML, Stewart, Moore, Charles, I believe Strother,Taurasi. Thats 10. The other would seem to either be Sales or someone from TASS. Maybe Tamika Williams?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Bueckers, Williams, Walker, Samuelson, KML, Stewart, Moore, Charles, I believe Strother,Taurasi. Thats 10. The other would seem to either be Sales or someone from TASS. Maybe Tamika Williams?
A Lobo

Reaction Score
Do I have to remind the Boneyard that Geno is a master psychologist. He purposely says things to raise expectations for players. He just told the world that Meg has just scratched the surface. She’s averaging 27.5 points a game the last 2 games and she was ESPN player of the week. Geno would not have said that if he did not believe she could do it and that it would motivate her and not overwhelm her.
Same with Paige. He doesn’t want her to arrive to UConn expecting upperclassmen to carry the team and give her years to be developed and groomed. He wants her to take over the moment her car pulls up to the dorm. How often does a team have a superstar? He mentions D, Maya, and Stevie. He must see her as one of them and he must not be afraid of putting some pressure on her.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I am going to be saying, ‘You know what, we wouldn’t have won the national championship without her,’” Auriemma said about what he expects to be saying about Bueckers by the end of her freshman year.

So regarding Paige leading UCONN to the 2020-21 NCAA championship is Geno referring to Paige's play or her recruiting efforts on UCONN's behalf, or both? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sales and Tamika were No.1s

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

I could be wrong but I think one rating group rated Charde Houston number one

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Seems Everybody In UConn Land Is Going GaGa.

This would include Geno who just put a big weight on Paige's shoulders:

GAGAGENO.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Do I have to remind the Boneyard that Geno is a master psychologist. He purposely says things to raise expectations for players. He just told the world that Meg has just scratched the surface. She’s averaging 27.5 points a game the last 2 games and she was ESPN player of the week. Geno would not have said that if he did not believe she could do it and that it would motivate her and not overwhelm her.
Same with Paige. He doesn’t want her to arrive to UConn expecting upperclassmen to carry the team and give her years to be developed and groomed. He wants her to take over the moment her car pulls up to the dorm. How often does a team have a superstar? He mentions D, Maya, and Stevie. He must see her as one of them and he must not be afraid of putting some pressure on her.
Her car. oohhh, someone will investigate that statement. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What is so complicated. He is having DT flashbacks. :)

During Bueckers' sophomore season her coach related that Geno said she was ahead of Taurasi at the same point of their careers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
During Bueckers' sophomore season her coach related that Geno said she was ahead of Taurasi at the same point of their careers.
More than the specific talent, i think Paige and Diana are very similar in temperment and confidence. How can he not project? ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
More than the specific talent, i think Paige and Diana are very similar in temperment and confidence. How can he not project? ;)
While they may be similar in basketball talent and style, and in self-confidence, I disagree about "temperament". I've seen nothing in numerous Paige videos to suggest that she has the smart-a?? attitude that was so characteristic of Diana. I don't think she will encourage people to boo her or hate her, although I don't think she will be intimidated if they do. To me, she seems like an uncomplicated, nice young woman away from the court -- someone who prefers that people like her but can understand if they don't (particularly if they are opponents or fans of opponents).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom