Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s odd she’s visiting in the middle of the week. She only gets the 48 hours on campus right?

Reaction Score
Shepard was a dominant post?
Shepard was a little bit heavier, and she was pushing players around. If you rewatched the MissSt vs ND game, she scored on McCowan quite a bit. She was 8-10 or something like that. I think Cox completely neutralized her in the 2019 NC game though. Cox and Shepard are very similar players, but Cox' length is the difference in defensive capabilities

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone know the differences between high school recruiting rules vs. college transfers? I was under the impression that the transfer rules were much less restrictive.

Also, my impression is that transfer visits were much more meaningful - the transfers (and coaches) are much better inform about what they are looking for and many are just confirming the decision to attend.

Reaction Score
I think she's fully capable of becoming an All American but time will tell.....I think you throw me off when you say she doesn't have certain skills but I've seen enough from her past play to believe that the skills are there......she simply needs the confidence that comes from experience to use them...I also think that she was not the focus of the offense last year but that will surely change for the upcoming season where she should be expected to be much more of an offensive force....I'd like to think that she could average 12 points a games at a minimum next year.....

Whatever she scores -- many of her baskets will be because the guards and forwards get her the ball near the basket. Sure she'll hit an occasional jump shot and make some occasional nice passes from the post - but that will be few and far between. Her bones on offense will be near the basket though I agree with you and others if you suggest that Geno put her at the free throw line sometimes. Geno isn't going to just stick her in the paint and let her die there for 4 years. Each year she will probably get progressively better. But as of right now for a top caliber team - her bones on offense will be in the paint while handling the ball as little as possible.

As far as All-American I agree with you in terms of possibility as long as you aren't talking first team all-american this year. IMO she just doesn't have the skill this year to be a good 10-15 foot shooter. A good passer nor a good ball-handler. I do expect her to get better and I do expect that she'll beocme an all-american someday. But won't be 1st team a/a this year. IMO no shot at that. Too many other good players. The other players are also vying for all-american and imo I think at this moment in time several are just better players than ONO. IMO ONO needs the others excellent plya for her to be "a very good" offensive player this year. Other years or maybe by the end of her soph year that will change. But right now her offense is a major work in progress.

This is why I'll never understand why it seems UCONN has more difficulty getting bigs other than an occasional one here or there. UCONN builds their offense so the bigs won't have to get double-teamed. You are constantly playing in a pro offense set. I think for example this situation is ideal for ONO.

Reaction Score
How many teams have won a NC without a dominant post player over the past 10 years? ZERO! Sure, you can win without a dominant post, but as history shows us, you can't win the big one!

2010 UConn Charles
2011 Texas A&M Adams
2012 Baylor Griner
2013 UConn Stewart/Dolson
2014 UConn Stewart/Dolson
2015 UConn Stewart
2016 UConn Stewart
2017 USC Wilson
2018 ND Shepard
2019 Baylor Brown/Cox

I can't be certain but I think his comment may have also been a reply to those wanting bigs so bad by some that they feel re is a definite need to get a 2nd "All-american" caliber big. Over the years UCONN has had small power forwards. They don't need that kind of size if their offense strong. The last two greta -- truly great -- in terms of alltime great era UCONN teams had Tuck and Maya as the power forwards. They were smaller power forwards. Thus the need for size at the power forward is needed to some degree but it doesn't have to be like Baylor of this past year.

Reaction Score
soxfan23 said:
"How many teams have won a NC without a dominant post player over the past 10 years? ZERO! Sure, you can win without a dominant post, but as history shows us, you can't win the big one!

2010 UConn Charles
2011 Texas A&M Adams
2012 Baylor Griner
2013 UConn Stewart/Dolson
2014 UConn Stewart/Dolson
2015 UConn Stewart
2016 UConn Stewart
2017 USC Wilson
2018 ND Shepard
2019 Baylor Brown/Cox"

1. You don't get to the Final Four without several very good players.
2. How many of those FF games were won because of a dominant post? (and I mean "dominant" that is, not played better than your opponent.

Stewie was an extraordinary player but I don't think I would call her a dominant post. Griner, Brown, McCowan, Gustafson, Nat Butler at GM were dominant posts but I wouldn't call them extraordinary players.

Reaction Score
I continue to read this comment by various posters and wonder if the people making it actually watched the game. Yes, Z was very good in the first half vs ND. But at halftime MM made a number of adjustments, one of which was to double Z quickly whenever she received the ball in the post. In the 2nd half Z was quickly doubled, rushed her shots and was ineffective, so Geno sat her down. The idea that UConn would have won the game if only Geno had stuck with Z in the 2nd half just isn’t born out by the reality of the game itself.

I can’t speak for others, but I can assure you that I watched the game. Your description of events is revisionist history that is contradicted by the box score and by the play-by-play.

As I and other posters have pointed out, Stevens sat for much of the third period. At the 3:35 mark, there was an official TV timeout. Stevens entered the game and reeled off 7 straight points in the remaining 3:35 of the third period, in spite of the defensive adjustments that MM made. To put this into context, Stevens scored more during this time span than any other UCONN player scored during the entire quarter. In fact, Stevens exceeded the combined scoring of Crystal, Gabby, Kia, and KLS in the third period.

Reaction Score
It’s odd she’s visiting in the middle of the week. She only gets the 48 hours on campus right?

There is not much going on even on the weekends during the Summer. If this was a Fall visit, I would want Prince to experience student life on a weekend, but being that it is Summer, I don't it matters very much.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can’t speak for others, but I can assure you that I watched the game. Your description of events is revisionist history that is contradicted by the box score and by the play-by-play.

As I and other posters have pointed out, Stevens sat for much of the third period. At the 3:35 mark, there was an official TV timeout. Stevens entered the game and reeled off 7 straight points in the remaining 3:35 of the third period, in spite of the defensive adjustments that MM made. To put this into context, Stevens scored more during this time span than any other UCONN player scored during the entire quarter. In fact, Stevens exceeded the combined scoring of Crystal, Gabby, Kia, and KLS in the third period.
Going back and checking the play by play, you are correct about the 3rd qtr. My balky memory of the game was in fact of the adjustments ND made to neutralize Z in the 4th qtr & OT. Z played all but 20 seconds of the 4th qtr and some additional minutes of OT. Early in the 4th Z had an offensive rebound & putback. She also had a block. But the rest of her time in the 4th & OT is as follows: 0/3, 0 pts, 0 rbs, 1 foul, 1 TO.

When UConn got down 4 pts with a little over 3 minutes left in OT, Geno pulled Z for Crystal. UConn fought back to square the game before the future Dancing with the Stars contestant hit the game winning shot.

So my memory was off on the exact sequence of the game, but I stand behind the point that ND’s adjustments neutralized Z and Geno’s decision to pull her in OT had nothing to do with why UConn lost the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know the differences between high school recruiting rules vs. college transfers? I was under the impression that the transfer rules were much less restrictive.
Also, my impression is that transfer visits were much more meaningful - the transfers (and coaches) are much better inform about what they are looking for and many are just confirming the decision to attend.
Rules are pretty much the same. Once a player decides to transfer, in the eyes of the NCAA they become a prospect subject to the same rules as HS prospects. Examples would include no more than 5 official (paid by the school) visits, 48 hours on campus during an official visit, & no official visit until after the championship game. The rules that do not apply are the academic component such as minimum SAT or ACT scores to eligible to play a freshmen and the required amount of Math science etc because the assumption is that those have already been met. A transfer is also not bound by a calendar for signing a NLI or scholarship agreement where as HS players cannot legal sign a NLI until early in November of Senior year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rules are pretty much the same. Once a player decides to transfer, in the eyes of the NCAA they become a prospect subject to the same rules as HS prospects. Examples would include no more than 5 official (paid by the school) visits, 48 hours on campus during an official visit, & no official visit until after the championship game. The rules that do not apply are the academic component such as minimum SAT or ACT scores to eligible to play a freshmen and the required amount of Math science etc because the assumption is that those have already been met. A transfer is also not bound by a calendar for signing a NLI or scholarship agreement where as HS players cannot legal sign a NLI until early in November of Senior year.
There is also an academic certification required by the transfer in school relative to minimum number of credits and progress towards a degree. The inability to meet these requirements is why a number of transfers end up at NAIA’s or JUCO’s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is also an academic certification required by the transfer in school relative to minimum number of credits and progress towards a degree. The inability to meet these requirements is why a number of transfers end up at NAIA’s or JUCO’s.
That's not only a transfer requirement. It is a requirement for "continuing eligibility" to compete whether the player decides to transfer or not.
Division I Academic Eligibility

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's not only a transfer requirement. It is a requirement for "continuing eligibility" to compete whether the player decides to transfer or not.
Division I Academic Eligibility
Yes of course. I was just trying to make the point that a player couldn’t just skip class for a semester and then decide to find another place to play ball.

Reaction Score

IMO, if Z got the ball she was going to the basket she did not play team ball that second half and she sat. Invariably she forced it. (Hard to score if one player is taking all the shots.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, if Z got the ball she was going to the basket she did not play team ball that second half and she sat. Invariably she forced it. (Hard to score if one player is taking all the shots.)
You opinion is not supported by readily available facts. If anything Azura should have been "forcing" more shots in that game. She was UCONN's most efficient shooter & there were plenty of shots available to the other players. BTW this (Azura being UCONN's most efficient shooter) was not limited to this game it was that way over the course of that entire season.
24Collier,Napheesa*3911-171-11-13-252220124
33Samuelson,Katie Lou*456-124-80-00-774440116
15Williams,Gabby*386-120-00-03-7104743112
11Nurse,Kia*454-132-70-03-254220110
5Dangerfield,Crystal*303-112-80-00-11243018
23Stevens,Azura288-12

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW, Sedona was pretty grown up a while back. Well spoken and likeable.

Her fav player at the time EDD.

I'm not countin' her in, but I sure wouldn't mind it - even if she is a Big. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom