Secondary | The Boneyard

Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all the talk about the offense, the QB, the OL, and the play calling, I think that the biggest concern right now is the secondary. We all know that BS had weaknesses, the OL was a project, but the secondary should have been a strength. They have been lit up in every game, short passes, big gains, no ability to lockdown anyone. The expection was that this unit would keep us in the games.

Reaction Score
With all the talk about the offense, the QB, the OL, and the play calling, I think that the biggest concern right now is the secondary. We all know that BS had weaknesses, the OL was a project, but the secondary should have been a strength. They have been lit up in every game, short passes, big gains, no ability to lockdown anyone. The expection was that this unit would keep us in the games.
Agreed - they get a D- for the year so far. If you are grading on expectations, then it's an F. I could never understand why #20 was getting so much hype going into this year - he was less than great last year. Sad but true - sad because they all seem like solid citizens but they are getting picked apart. Is it the talent, or the coaching?

Reaction Score
There were a lot of expectations, few, if any , of which are being met. Nothing much left to be disappointed by. Just enjoy and support the kids. The staff has to go.

Reaction Score
The lack of pressure D, especially the lack of press coverage, has transformed the entire D-backs crew from a loose aggressive unit to a stiff non-athletic, non-instinctual playing style. They are almost robotic, playing without swagger or enthusiasm. The cushion they give is insane. A little bump coverage off the line might disrupt some timing. We are too vulnerable to the long completion. Our setup allows nice gains by opponents bubble screens. Ever see us have success with those? We normally get stuffed as DBacks converge from shorter distances.(And watching our film is too predictably instructive)
I had to chuckle when Jesse Palmer said it's obvious the UH plan is to throw to the outside and UConn should be bringing pressure on the QB and press covering the WR's. He must have been reading my posts.
And there is no reason we should have punted from the UH 38 early in the game. None. We actually had them wondering about us--even as a 29 point underdog. A score would have been extra important. We punted. We surrendered.
We lost by 28. (At least I won my bet.)

Reaction Score
There were a lot of expectations, few, if any , of which are being met. Nothing much left to be disappointed by. Just enjoy and support the kids. The staff has to go.

where did those expectations come from? We lost a 4 year starter at Safety in Andrew Adams replaced by a redshirt freshman, we all knew Obi and Williams were liabilities...the only formidable member of the secondary was/is Summers.

The offensive line showed slight improvement at the end of last year, but still hadn't proven anything....our only experienced WR returning was Thomas and now sprinkled in are some redshirt freshmen and sophomores will very little experience

BS is BS...we all know what we're getting with him, he is a tough guy, good man, but just not a great overall QB...our RBs are adequate, but again....offensive line

The only bright spots coming into the season were Dline and LBs...and I think they've played pretty well this year minus a couple dumb penalties and misc stuff

I think we may have built up expectations for the team just because its year 3 and we did semi well last year so we looked at it in a vacuum and said "well they finished semi strong last year so they must be better this year"....obviously we were wrong

Reaction Score
We rush only 3 and still can not defend the pass.

Reaction Score
We rush only 3 and still can not defend the pass.

This, this, this, and this !

Whats the point of dropping 60 guys into coverage if they arent within 18 yards of a receiver anyways. Bring some damn pressure, and see what happens. IT'S NOT GOING TO GET WORSE !!!!!!!!!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would also add : last night not withstanding (didn't quite win TOP)... when we are winning TOP (such as last week) - why can't our D afford to be more aggressive? Play fewer minutes but with more intensity?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We don't have speed at the skill positions.
This. Diaco knows defense. He had our guys playing off the line because they don't have the speed to keep up with UH receivers. He would prefer to play in front and not sacrifice the big play over the top. Regrettably, with no rush, we give the QB the time to allow the receivers to beat out backs anyway. I think part of the problem is our consistent bull rush from the D line. They are big, strong, stout men; however, a swim move or feint would help. We need more speed and agility on the D line too.

Reaction Score
I agree the secondary has underperformed ... but that Ward is freaking unbelievably great. I have to really dig deep to remember a QB against UConn that was that good.

Reaction Score
For kicks I looked back at the Fiesta Bowl Stats. Take a look, and compare, very interesting.

Reaction Score
McCallister and Watkins haven't showed they belong at this level, not saying they absolutely don't, but their combined play is by far the weakest link in the DC. They have been targeted and isolates for sure.

I can't say by how much but we should see improvement throughout the season as (Watkins and McCallister) they don't have much experience except special teams. Jamar has to hit the film room in preparation for Cincy. Same goes for Javon and Obi. Looking to next year, BD's recruits, Tyler Coyle, Eddie Hahn and Tahj Herring will be next up.
Secondary has to stop giving up explosive plays! They are killing us!

https://connecticut.forums.rivals.com/threads/video-dc-anthony-poindexter.5318/

Reaction Score
Pat White comes close.

I'd consider them equals except White had an equally scary fast running back named Steve Slaton that had over 3,900 rushing yards and 50 TD's in the 3 years he played at WV.

That dynamic duo has no equal, at least from what I've seen.

Reaction Score
The lack of pressure D, especially the lack of press coverage, has transformed the entire D-backs crew from a loose aggressive unit to a stiff non-athletic, non-instinctual playing style. They are almost robotic, playing without swagger or enthusiasm. The cushion they give is insane. A little bump coverage off the line might disrupt some timing. We are too vulnerable to the long completion. Our setup allows nice gains by opponents bubble screens. Ever see us have success with those? We normally get stuffed as DBacks converge from shorter distances.(And watching our film is too predictably instructive)
I had to chuckle when Jesse Palmer said it's obvious the UH plan is to throw to the outside and UConn should be bringing pressure on the QB and press covering the WR's. He must have been reading my posts.
And there is no reason we should have punted from the UH 38 early in the game. None. We actually had them wondering about us--even as a 29 point underdog. A score would have been extra important. We punted. We surrendered.
We lost by 28. (At least I won my bet.)

Agree more QB pressure and press coverage would make a huge difference. Frustrating as hell that the coaches insist on 3-4 man rushes and soft corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom