Second Wave of the NBA's Three-Point Revolution | The Boneyard

Second Wave of the NBA's Three-Point Revolution

Reaction Score
Good read. I have to say as a Celtics fan, no one outside the Clippers scared me more last year than Middleton. I thought the Bucks had a better chance to take the Celts than any other team but the Cavs.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Good read. I have to say as a Celtics fan, no one outside the Clippers scared me more last year than Middleton. I thought the Bucks had a better chance to take the Celts than any other team but the Cavs.

This is absolutely true. The Bucks are trending way up. The Celtics will need to start clicking or they’re going to find themselves behind two teams in the East that have shown some real strengths.

And re: Kemba - what I would give to see him on a contender, be it Charlotte (never) or some other team. He has improved every year in the league and is currently having an all-star type start to this year. Sustainable? Maybe not. But it’s unfortunate that his team is constantly battling for an 8 seed and out of the national conversations.

Reaction Score
I struggle with what to feel about the emphasis on the 3. Part of me wants to be the curmudgeony old guy who says "I remember when players were tough!!" (half the boneyard). But the ball movement and shooting can be a real pleasure to watch. And I'm happy the early 00's iso-ball days are over. That was dreadful.

The problem I have from a coaching standpoint: EVERY kid wants to be a 3 pt bomber now. A 3 is a good idea if you can hit 35+% when open. It is NOT good for high school kids that shoot 25% at best in a close game. I can train my kids to get out of that mindset in a few weeks of tough practices, but they don't have great examples of how our style should look unless I provide them (I do).

That being said, I think today's kids are less likely to iso and more likely to take pride in assists that I saw even 5 years ago.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I struggle with what to feel about the emphasis on the 3. Part of me wants to be the curmudgeony old guy who says "I remember when players were tough!!" (half the boneyard). But the ball movement and shooting can be a real pleasure to watch. And I'm happy the early 00's iso-ball days are over. That was dreadful.

The problem I have from a coaching standpoint: EVERY kid wants to be a 3 pt bomber now. A 3 is a good idea if you can hit 35+% when open. It is NOT good for high school kids that shoot 25% at best in a close game. I can train my kids to get out of that mindset in a few weeks of tough practices, but they don't have great examples of how our style should look unless I provide them (I do).

That being said, I think today's kids are less likely to iso and more likely to take pride in assists that I saw even 5 years ago.

I really miss good post play. But officials protecting soft guards who come in completely out of control but let big guys get the piss beat out of them are terrible.

the Q

Reaction Score

Are you running flex set or basic motion?

Plus you’re always gonna have the problem with iso ball being what gets you noticed. There’s a reason even the pg recruits are destroy their school competition in scoring.

Reaction Score
Are you running flex set or basic motion?

Plus you’re always gonna have the problem with iso ball being what gets you noticed. There’s a reason even the pg recruits are destroy their school competition in scoring.

I teach the kids flex concepts so they know how to defend it. I also use it to teach duck-ins after screens. But no I don't run flex as a system. More of a set when the kids need to slow down and play with some structure.

I don't like the term "basic motion." A good motion offense is more complex than just about any offense you can run in high school. Generally, I teach my teams 4 out 1 in, and sprinkle in some 5 out when I get a big that can shoot. I teach a motion progression, sort of read and react-ish. Starting with pass and cut, pass and screen away, drive reactions, secondary cutters, post feed reactions, etc etc. Takes a long time to learn, but makes them better players in the long run.

the Q

Reaction Score
I teach the kids flex concepts so they know how to defend it. I also use it to teach duck-ins after screens. But no I don't run flex as a system. More of a set when the kids need to slow down and play with some structure.

I don't like the term "basic motion." A good motion offense is more complex than just about any offense you can run in high school. Generally, I teach my teams 4 out 1 in, and sprinkle in some 5 out when I get a big that can shoot. I teach a motion progression, sort of read and react-ish. Starting with pass and cut, pass and screen away, drive reactions, secondary cutters, post feed reactions, etc etc. Takes a long time to learn, but makes them better players in the long run.

Idk if I’d use complex. It involves a lot of movement. But nothing I’d consider complex.

Yes my hs coach loved running flex with a lead to run it until he got a layup.

Yes the read and react is the key. That’s how you get easy baskets. Or just running some variance. Like a post flashing up and hitting a cutting wing for a back foot. But the wing has to know to do it instinctively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom