Second viewing of SC game ... | The Boneyard

Second viewing of SC game ...

Reaction Score
Thanks to MJL243 I was able to watch the game from the beginning . Unfortunately I only have the Comcast basic service ... so switching over to one of the other ESPN stations was not an option . I kinda wished that in a situation like that ... big game ... all the hype ... that ESPN would have a small insert screen with the UConn game while still broadcasting the Texas 2 overtimes .
Glad I got to see the spin move by Gabby in the paint as well as the leap-frog she executed over a fallen player ... she is a very special athlete . I'm thinking 'All-American' consideration after that gutsy performance . In the post game interview ....her comments " This program is special .... I'm happy to be here " can only help recruiting down the road . ( not that we need it )
The ending of the first half helped with momentum going into the locker room . The quick double team near half court that caused the errant pass that started the fast break ...just wondering who initiated that action . I watched it several times and it appears that Geno used hand gestures to Chong to run up and trap ...then he just enjoyed watching the fast break unfold . Like a Maestro !!
Our CYO coach used to always insist that if the ball were going out of bounds ... and we could grab it and control it before it went out of bounds .. that we should do that because you never know what the referee is going to call . I thought that Gabby should have done that on that one play that the replay showed Collier slightly blocking the shot . It might matter down the road .
Seems to me that one of the main reasons that we are undefeated at this point is that every member of the starting 5 plus Chrystal can handle the ball well & initiate a fast break after rebounding the ball ... like 5 guards with different heights . That ... and the fact that the opposition cannot slack off of Chong defensively to help in the paint area ... cuz when she squares up for a three ... I like her chances at making them pay . Finally .. the team chemistry is special ... so is the Gabby -Napheesa interaction . Enjoying this season SO much !!!

Reaction Score
The key point of the game to me was the last timeout of the 2nd quarter. As SC walked to their huddle, you can see that they were gassed. Wilson looked like she had nothing left. All five players walked back to the huddle separately, not as a team. UConn finished the half on a 7-0 run.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watched the game a 2nd time today as well. It was much better than the 1st time around, because it wasn't on after my bedtime and "no worries" regarding the final outcome.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice the rarely used Star Trek defense during the last play in the 1st half. With 8 seconds left , and Napheesa driving for the basket on a breakaway, observers say they heard Collier utter, "Shields up." (36:45 on the replay). For good measure, she said it again a few seconds later.

No wonder they've won 100 in a row!:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ya Gabby out jumping Coates to kick things off was a great preview of things to come! Might have been a little embarrassing for Alaina too :eek:
I do think she gets a "early jump" on the ball tho

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The key point of the game to me was the last timeout of the 2nd quarter. As SC walked to their huddle, you can see that they were gassed. Wilson looked like she had nothing left. All five players walked back to the huddle separately, not as a team. UConn finished the half on a 7-0 run.

What may have been the turning point in the game was that offensive foul called on Harris (as Chong took the charge). The basket was nullified, UConn got the ball and went on that momentum-changing 7-0 run to end the half.

SC never recovered, psychologically or on the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
The key point of the game to me was the last timeout of the 2nd quarter. As SC walked to their huddle, you can see that they were gassed. Wilson looked like she had nothing left. All five players walked back to the huddle separately, not as a team. UConn finished the half on a 7-0 run.[/QUOTE
My opinion only but part of the reason other then being close to home for Wilson, is the ability to walk with no consequence. That's way she is at SC. Bring it!

Reaction Score
What may have been the turning point in the game was that offensive foul called on Harris (as Chong took the charge). The basket was nullified, UConn got the ball and went on that momentum-changing 7-0 run to end the half.

The game is over and I'm pretty much over the outcome but anyone with eyes could see that wasn't a charge call. Players usually fall straight back taking charges not to the side. I agree with Doris Burke stating that should have been a play on.

Reaction Score
The game is over and I'm pretty much over the outcome but anyone with eyes could see that wasn't a charge call. Players usually fall straight back taking charges not to the side. I agree with Doris Burke stating that should have been a play on.

Just like it was not a foul on Lou or Pheese in other parts of the game....

Reaction Score
Both teams had missed bunnies, and both teams suffered the missed calls.
Coates and Wilson were NOT getting mugged under the rim. They were simply blinded every time Gabbie defied gravity and was looking down on them both from above the rim (Dang, who plays above the rim in women's BBall anyway)..

PS: that tip off photo with Gabbie out reaching Coates is Priceless. Especially the look on her face. LOL.

Reaction Score
I did a DVR on this game in 2 sections. Since then, I have watched this game 4 times in some cases replaying small segments a couple of times in order to see what the announcers were talking about. I cannot tell you as to whether or not that the fouls called were all equitable, but many on both sides were questionable. I think that it all evens out. And, I do not think that one foul in particular can change the course of a game. What changes is the mindset of the players and the quality of play. You take what is dealt to you and you move on in positive way.

I do not think that Lou, Gabby, and Napheesa or for that matter Kia mentally quit when they either had 4 fouls, made a mistake or played with an injured ankle.

Reaction Score
Fouls were not a factor in South Carolina losing other than the fact that they couldn't hit free throws. The fouls were decidedly in South Carolina's favor early in the game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

And in fact, on Cockytalk, that was the call that infuriated them more than any other.

To SCSpur: Whether the defender falls straight back or sideways has no "legal" relevance to whether it is a charge or not. You don't have to hit a defender in the center of her chest to have committed a charge. The only question is whether the defender is set when the offensive player makes contact, and Saniya was set. Doris Burke's complaint was that the pass was already out of Harris's hands when the contact occurred. Again, that is "legally" irrelevant -- whether the offensive player still possesses the ball makes no difference as to whether it is a charge.

Having said that, I think that as a matter of judgment, the official might have chosen to overlook that. But I don't think that fans should complain about calls that are "legally" correct if the only disagreement was whether there was "enough" contact to justify a call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did a DVR on this game in 2 sections. Since then, I have watched this game 4 times
I do not think that Lou, Gabby, and Napheesa or for that matter Kia mentally quit when they either had 4 fouls, made a mistake or played with an injured ankle.
Same page. 4 times and it was what we did AFTER the bad calls or fouls that counted more than what we did when we were on top!

Reaction Score
And in fact, on Cockytalk, that was the call that infuriated them more than any other.

To SCSpur: Whether the defender falls straight back or sideways has no "legal" relevance to whether it is a charge or not. You don't have to hit a defender in the center of her chest to have committed a charge. The only question is whether the defender is set when the offensive player makes contact, and Saniya was set. Doris Burke's complaint was that the pass was already out of Harris's hands when the contact occurred. Again, that is "legally" irrelevant -- whether the defender still possesses the ball makes no difference as to whether it is a charge.

Having said that, I think that as a matter of judgment, the official might have chosen to overlook that. But I don't think that fans should complain about calls that are "legally" correct if the only disagreement was whether there was "enough" contact to justify a call.
All too often when Doris Burke questions a call, it's not because a foul wasn't committed, but more that it interrupted the drama or flow of the game. It's that she just doesn't like certain calls for her own reasons, rules be dammed.

Reaction Score
I do think she gets a "early jump" on the ball tho

Yup - all night long

Reflexes and timing are characteristics of "athleticism" as much as flat out speed, strength etc .

In my unscientific rerun of the opening tipoff it doesn't look like Gabby was noticeably early. Compared to Alaina, it looked like her acceleration was faster. She got to the ball at/near the top, maybe even slightly on way down. At the top of the leap, I think her hand was at least as high and her head was higher...and no need to comment on the comparative height of their feet. All this makes sense to me.

I can't slo-mo it, so this is just a few quick start/stop observations. Interested if anyone can step through it easily by frame etc.

Reaction Score

And clearly that wasn't a charge on Pheesa. But they called it

Reaction Score
Upon another viewing, I thought the refs pretty consistently called charges in any debatable situation. And a few that were blatantly wrong!

Reaction Score
Both teams had missed bunnies, and both teams suffered the missed calls.
Coates and Wilson were NOT getting mugged under the rim. They were simply blinded every time Gabbie defied gravity and was looking down on them both from above the rim (Dang, who plays above the rim in women's BBall anyway)..

PS: that tip off photo with Gabbie out reaching Coates is Priceless. Especially the look on her face. LOL.
upload_2017-2-16_10-37-11.png

(Props to dannykuconn)

Reaction Score
I didn't notice if anyone else mentioned this... but I find the colors of the dress Doris Burke wore for the game rather interesting... Scarlet and Black. And, in the beginning of the broadcast she talked about how much of a "program defining moment" it would be for SC to win... Interesting???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom