Second half | The Boneyard

Second half

Reaction Score
This is the second straight game in which UConn was crushed in the second half.

Is there any concern regarding Hurley's coaching adjustments?
I understand losing to Villanova, but South Florida manhandled them, even with 20 turnovers.

The Bulls kept driving and getting free throws. Sounds like a plan that UConn should have implemented.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How exactly would you like Hurley to adjust? Who should have played? Would you like him to run something that he hasn't practiced? What would you like him to do? I'll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score
There was a ton of fouls in this game. Why not drive and score from the line?
You don't need much practice for that.

Mid game adjustments in the coach's responsibility. If South Florida can do it, so can UConn

polycom

Reaction Score
There was a ton of fouls in this game. Why not drive and score from the line?
You don't need much practice for that.

Mid game adjustments in the coach's responsibility. If South Florida can do it, so can UConn

So, who exactly should we have "driving" to the lane considering all of the guards were getting their pockets picked when they crossed half court... Also, not sure if you noticed but most guards on our team are body contortionists and they have no idea how to consistently draw a foul...

Reaction Score
So, who exactly should we have "driving" to the lane considering all of the guards were getting their pockets picked when they crossed half court... Also, not sure if you noticed but most guards on our team are body contortionists and they have no idea how to consistently draw a foul...
In the last 4 minutes of the game there were 5 occasions in which either Jalen or Alterqiue got to the line from driving

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
We could see the wheels coming off again as the lead was slipping. Hurley doesn't seem to like using timeouts.

polycom

Reaction Score
In the last 4 minutes of the game there were 5 occasions in which either Jalen or Alterqiue got to the line from driving

Jalen Adams College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com - Jalen's Free Throw attempt rate over his career is .21

Shabazz Napier College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com - Bazz .433 and it improved has he got older

Note they also took similar amount of attempts per game and Bazz took more 3s.

The stat is Free Throw Attempt rate...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How exactly would you like Hurley to adjust? Who should have played? Would you like him to run something that he hasn't practiced? What would you like him to do? I'll hang up and listen.
I would like him to sit Carlton when he is soft (always) and run plays for CV in the 2nd half instead of trying to let Polley shoot out of a slump in a game that was important to win, we can't talk adjustments because he doesn't make any/extremely few, you and I cannot comment on practice because we aren't there.
The bottom line is that Hurley came in and talked about lighting a fire and his teams playing hard etc, we saw it vs Cuse and very little consistency doing so after that.
My friends and I attended two "meet the coaches" events last year and one of my buddies addressed UConn's past failures with facing a zone and how he was going to address that. He knew of the issue and basically said that any team can effectively attack and penetrate a zone - they just have to understand the correct spacing, off ball motion and one other fact that I have now forgotten. If I am running a 3 guard offense I know I am going to see zone - this current team looks like deer caught in a headlight when facing zones (not unlike past 20+ years)
Rebounding - this is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen, especially the frontline. If it weren't for JA and CV there would be no rebounds. Is this much different than last year? Carlton still doesn't know how to position and use his body.
The fact that these aren't his players is not the argument. The fact is that there is very little difference between the performance 2nd half Nova and 2nd half SFU and the last 2 years. The FSU coach took over a program and has lifted their performance.
I am not giving up on DH at all but when I look at the guys he brought in - Smith and Adams - what have they done recently and last night at all? Yawke has been a pleasant surprise and missing him last night was huge, but, every coach needs to be prepared for those issues - playing Carlton double minutes was not a good choice.
It is obvious you are a KO hater - your barb at Mau in the chat last night was evident. I am a friend of KO but if you read my postings I have said that I agree his performance over the last 2 years was bad and I agreed a firing was warranted due to wins and losses. But he didn't have AG or Sid and DH does - that was a big piece missing the last 2 years.
Some lamented that sometimes JC took too many early TOs, many screamed that KO didn't call enough TOs or at the wrong time - I question DH's time management as much as the former coaches.
I am happy to give him time and to let him bring in "his" players as many like to say. Yet, he needs to show improvement in these guys and there have been flashes of that but the last two second half performances are troubling.
I am concerned about his ability of bringing in "quality" bigs because 1. he has no track record of doing so at Wagner or URI, 2. Any "quality" big is going to look P5 first and 3. has Carlton improved under DH's tenure? has Whalley? Cobb had flashes but is just as bad on D as he was last year. Can DH coach a big? Ollie certainly couldn't and he had the luxury of being around the best bigs and coaches in the world.
Do I think DH can turn things around? - right now I am still leaning heavily that way and he deserves his time to do so.
I liked his hire, however, these past two performances as well as some actions of his and the team, even when beating on cupcakes, has me a bit nervous. I am glad it appears someone got into his ear and advised him to curb his sideline tactics dealing with the refs but I do like the fiery personality.
My greatest hope is that the Huskies get back to the upper stratosphere but this conference and the realignment has made that journey really difficult. Lots of work!!!

Reaction Score
At one point in 2nd half Hurley was calling for the offense to run a play and no was listening he turned stomped his feet and looked like he threw something.

That right there is this team in a nutshell. They don't listen to coaching or have no clue what they are supposed to be doing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom