SEC vs B1G | The Boneyard

SEC vs B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it possible that the SEC is telling the B1G to back off moving south? Lol

What is Swofford thinking. Keep the rumors coming! The more press and buzz we get the better!

HFD lives!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Since the wheels have come off common sense, the next question to debate is - who offers first, B1G or SEC? And who will make the better offer?

Reaction Score
Looks like some others also are speculating this to be a play by the SEC letting the Big 10 know they want UNC or else. If UNC goes to the SEC....

We're good. :D

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Okay - stand corrected. too many threads on same topics.

"Sounds to me like this rumor was started by the SEC as a message to the B1G to stay out of the deep south or we will kill your NE strategy."

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/new-rumor-re-sec.35552/page-3#post-536348
Can I just ask what the rumor really was? Is there something beyond the NYT article where the writer chose to mention the SEC along with the ACC and one other conference?? It's barely a rumor. It's just a choice of words. I love dreaming but did this become a rumor once ESPN put it in their Rumors section?

Reaction Score
Can I just ask what the rumor really was? Is there something beyond the NYT article where the writer chose to mention the SEC along with the ACC and one other conference?? It's barely a rumor. It's just a choice of words. I love dreaming but did this become a rumor once ESPN put it in their Rumors section?

It's on the Internet so it has to be true....

Reaction Score
Since the wheels have come off common sense, the next question to debate is - who offers first, B1G or SEC? And who will make the better offer?

Did you predict or ridicule RU to the B1G?

Reaction Score
It appears no one posted this.

Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.
— Jeff Ermann (@insidemdsports) February 19, 2013

Looks like we need to pester UNC fans to go to the SEC!

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Obviously this is a ridiculous question because we will take the first conference that asks....

But what conference would everybody rather go IF we had the choice B1G VS. SEC VS. ACC??????

I say the ACC and go to B1G or SEC, leaning more towards the SEC.

Reaction Score
Obviously this is a ridiculous question because we will take the first conference that asks....

But what conference would everybody rather go IF we had the choice B1G VS. SEC VS. ACC??????

I say the ACC and go to B1G or SEC, leaning more towards the SEC.
I would say B1G. If the only move was ACC adding one school--and everyone else stood pat, I would have said ACC up until recently. It would still be better in terms of basketball, which is what I really care about.

But when they took Louisville over us...geez, that really pissed me off, and I'd really like the conference to die and us to be somewhere else when it does (otherwise, can't root for it to die).

Reaction Score
WestHartfordHusk beat you to it :confused:

"The consensus is developing that this is a warning shot by the SEC to the B1G - take UConn/UVA or we will blow up your move into the Northeast"

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/new-rumor-re-sec.35552/page-3#post-536372

I want to understand this. Someone believes that the Big Ten is going to be threatened by the SEC taking UConn? Am I the only one who views the credibility of that threat on a level with Cleavon Little's threat as he points his pistol to his head in Blazing Saddles?

Reaction Score
I want to understand this. Someone believes that the Big Ten is going to be threatened by the SEC taking UConn? Am I the only one who views the credibility of that threat on a level with Cleavon Little's threat as he points his pistol to his head in Blazing Saddles?

What I don't get is why your impeccable logic here isn't applied with equal effect to a B1G move into the southeast. The SEC into New York and the northeast makes no less sense than the B1G into Georgia. In fact, on one level, the B1G in Georgia (population 9+ million and highly contested by the SEC) is even more preposterous than the SEC into New York (population 20+ million and barely contested at all).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Don't think of it as a threat. Neither of them have the juice to do real damage to the other. But right now the ACC is something of a buffer between them, and the B1g 12 to a lesser extent. It seems clear that they both want to claim Virginia and North Carolina, which would mean more direct territorial competition. If the B1G, the quintessential northern league, can legitimately be seen moving into VA, NC and GA, then it stands to reason that the SEC can move north of the Mason Dixon line. I don't think they want to. But I do think they want to keep the B1G out of the south. So I think the threat of moving into the NY area is valuable to remind the B1G that two can play this game. Taking Missouri was the first salvo in that direction, and the B1G answered with Maryland.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why your impeccable logic here isn't applied with equal effect to a B1G move into the southeast. The SEC into New York and the northeast makes no less sense than the B1G into Georgia. In fact, on one level, the B1G in Georgia (population 9+ million and highly contested by the SEC) is even more preposterous than the SEC into New York (population 20+ million and barely contested at all).

1. The Big Ten going South makes far more sense than the SEC coming north. Both because of ongoing populations shifts and recruiting needs.

2. I was not saying that the SEC wouldn't or shouldn't come north. Just that if UConn was so important to the Big Ten having the sole, dominant place in the Metro New York marketplace, we'd be there already.

3. I thought applicable quotes from Blazing Saddles were exempt from criticism in any event. My bad.

pj

Reaction Score
1. The Big Ten going South makes far more sense than the SEC coming north. Both because of ongoing populations shifts and recruiting needs.

2. I was not saying that the SEC wouldn't or shouldn't come north. Just that if UConn was so important to the Big Ten having the sole, dominant place in the Metro New York marketplace, we'd be there already.

3. I thought applicable quotes from Blazing Saddles were exempt from criticism in any event. My bad.

1. You're thinking in terms of football. But both conferences are establishing networks and networks need winter/spring inventory so basketball is as valuable as football. The North is more basketball oriented than the South. The SEC would benefit tremendously in a financial sense from (a) larger markets, (b) larger geographic reach, (c) better basketball, (d) reach into basketball recruiting grounds. UConn provides all four. RegisteredUConn is right that UConn brings more to the SEC than Georgia Tech to the B1G.

2. No. UConn may be very important to the B1G reaching NE/NY. But the Big Ten Network is new, and realignment is new. They have wanted to grow with an even number of teams. They have not yet had the opportunity to take UConn with another team -- perhaps UConn-Rutgers, but they had the opportunity to take Maryland at the same time. If necessary they may take UConn alone as #15 and hope they get a #16 later, but for now, they are seeking to grow by 2 teams and don't have 2. No other conference has yet the forced the Big Ten to stop waiting on UConn. Meanwhile UConn is increasing investments in athletics and academics, making it a bigger contributor to the conference. Why should they extend an invitation and let UConn become complacent / stop upgrading if they don't have a partner and no other conference is competing with them? We can't infer from the lack of an invitation to date that the B1G isn't high on UConn.

3. The error is thinking the quote was applicable!

A last thought. ESPN is the SEC's partner in the SEC network, Fox the B1G's partner in the BTN. I wonder if ESPN may see the value in grabbing UConn for its portfolio. I doubt it will want to cede the northeast to the B1G/Fox, and it seems UConn may add a lot more value to the SEC than to the ACC, and there are political hurdles in the ACC. To date ESPN has kept the ACC as its prized property, owned at a bargain basement price, but it has been forced to pump steadily more money into the ACC while adding weaker properties like Louisville and Syracuse. It may start to see value in building up the SEC Network with its top ACC properties plus UConn, and dissolving the ACC contract and picking up the ACC remnants at a cheaper per-school price.

Reaction Score

1. I defer to you and others for guidance on recruiting issues. As far as population shifts go, how long will it take for N.C./Ga. to pick up 20 or so million? I'm not sure even the Mayans projected that far out.

2. Not many entities go into new markets by starting at the end game. UConn +1 will be the Big Ten version 4.0.

3. I may be posting from an outdated copy of the Guide to Boneyard Manners. I think mine has an entry on addressing Terry Caulley's knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom