SEC Today (Mar. 3) - SC Alaina Coates Out With Ankle Injury | The Boneyard

SEC Today (Mar. 3) - SC Alaina Coates Out With Ankle Injury

Reaction Score
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — All-Southeastern Conference forward Alaina Coates will miss No. 5 South Carolina's league tournament opener against Georgia because of a lingering ankle injury.

Coates, a 6-foot-4 senior who averages 13 points and 11 rebounds, has received treatment on the right ankle all week.

She sprained her ankle nearly two weeks ago at Missouri. Coates missed a win on Feb. 23 at Texas A&M and returned last Sunday when the Gamecocks wrapped up their fourth straight SEC title by beating Kentucky. In the fourth quarter, Coates stumbled after a basket and spent several minutes on the floor.

She's listed as day-to-day for the Gamecocks, who reached the NCAA Final Four two years ago.

The first time top-seeded South Carolina (24-4) faced the Bulldogs (16-14) this season, it was without another post star, A'ja Wilson, who was sidelined with an ankle injury.

Georgia nearly pulled off the upset in a 66-63 loss on Jan. 12.

[LINK]

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Inside scoop? Or hooping for a reverse jinx? Reverse jinx, I hope :)

He/She obviously has an inside scoop that not even most Gamecock fans are aware of. Must be Alaina's dad. She's in a walking boot for christsakes.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We are obviously tough without her... I honestly think we can win the tourney without her.

I think so too. It's a different style of play that no team really expects to see when playing South Carolina. Up and down the floor the entire game, lots of cutting and drives to the basket. Then the outside game kicks in and it's on.

Reaction Score
I think so too. It's a different style of play that no team really expects to see when playing South Carolina. Up and down the floor the entire game, lots of cutting and drives to the basket. Then the outside game kicks in and it's on.

Yes I love the way Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis are stepping up their games. Earlier in the season this team really didn't play with a sense of urgency but I think they are molding into form right before our eyes and when everyone is on and focused they are tough for ANYONE to beat.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Today's game was a preview of next season since Alaina is the only regular player we lose this season. Alaina was walking some today so she will be back by Sunday or definitely for the NCAAT.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Alaina is a good and valuable player for South Carolina. However, their offense maybe better without her as their guards and wings will get more touches. They will lose some on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom