SEC Thread | The Boneyard

SEC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been trying to process the recruiting and transfers, though I'd start a thread.

Was thinking about Kentucky first and the question that immediately came to mind was how much eligibility does Chastity Patterson have remaining. UK listed her as a junior, I believe, but she only played in one game her sophomore year at Texas so I wasn't sure that she won't get a year back.

2020-21 team

Chastity Patterson
Rhyne Howard
Treasure Hunt
Dre'Una Edwards
?

21-22

Jazzmine Massengill 6'0
Rhyne Howard 6'2
Treasure Hunt 6'2
Dre'Una Edwards 6'2
Olivia Owens 6'4

Robin Benton 5'9 G (Auburn Tr.)
Blair Green 6'0 G
Jada Walker, Fr. (HG #63)
Erin Toller
Deasia Merrill 6'0 F
Nyah Levetter 6'3 F (HG #83)

If Patterson has another year, that's a pretty stacked team that might be a problem for folks.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Could Howard leave early for the WNBA after next season? Would she be eligible? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
Could Howard leave early for the WNBA after next season? Would she be eligible? Just wondering.

I'm not sure, but I read that she could not on somebody's board. UK's I think.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
All part of what makes the SEC the best conference in WCBB.

Reaction Score
All part of what makes the SEC the best conference in WCBB.
I tend to disagree the SEC is the best conference at this time. SC and MSU have been the top programs for the past few years and while KY, A&M, UT haven't bad the drop off between number 2 and the next group of teams is significant.

I think there was a time where the SEC was the strongest conference. I recall the days where UT, Georgia, LSU and Vanderbilt were all playing on the second weekend of the tournament and some years the FF. Those days are gone and it will take some serious improvements for any of those teams to rise back to that level again although I think UT could get there sooner than the others.

The PAC 12 has been the best conference the past few seasons with the most high quality teams. We will see if this holds in the coming years.

Reaction Score
I tend to disagree the SEC is the best conference at this time. SC and MSU have been the top programs for the past few years and while KY, A&M, UT haven't bad the drop off between number 2 and the next group of teams is significant.

I think there was a time where the SEC was the strongest conference. I recall the days where UT, Georgia, LSU and Vanderbilt were all playing on the second weekend of the tournament and some years the FF. Those days are gone and it will take some serious improvements for any of those teams to rise back to that level again although I think UT could get there sooner than the others.

The PAC 12 has been the best conference the past few seasons with the most high quality teams. We will see if this holds in the coming years.

I think the ACC has a pretty good arguement. Lot of top 15 teams the last few years.
But you do have Duke dragging them down.

Reaction Score

I am willing to give Harper the benefit of the doubt and for her to have time to get her players. I just feel like Holly's fingerprints will take a few years to remove from the program. She was simply that inept. Harper does have a great class lined up for next year which is promising considering her first recruiting class. Whether Harper can get Tennessee back is still up in the air at this time but she needs time to get her kids.

I don't think Joni is the answer for Georgia and neither is Nikki for LSU. Joni, I don't feel like they have a system built to have successful teams, I am not impressed with their player development. They struggle to score a lot (similar to other SEC teams). As for Nikki, she has had close to 10 years. She is what she is at this point. she doesn't recruit a high enough level to be able to compete with the big dogs. Its all about playing defense with her. It may be good enough to pull off an upset or two in the PMAC each year but its not a recipe to compete for a SEC title or to go very far come tournament time.

White for Vandy is just in over her head. Vandy hasn't been the same since Balcomb left and white isn't bringing it back. She can't keep a roster together (healthy at least) and her teams play out of control with no discipline.

I can't really judge the Florida coach despite being underwhelming so far. Although, they made a major jump this year from the previous year and they have a very nice recruiting class coming in. I think this is the year where their success will tell us if he truly is a viable solution moving forward.

Reaction Score
I'm with Plebe...I'm a fan of an SEC-team and watch about 4 SEC women's games each week and it's NOT the best conference in the country by a long shot. Good? Yes. The best? Nope.

Reaction Score
SEC has some very good teams obviously but not the best conference. They actually performed really poorly during the SEC-Big 12 challenge I recall. Big 12 won 8 of the 10 matchups I think. It was brutal.

SEC has too many average coaches outside the top group.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
So... uh, Kentucky has a nice group of talent coming in. If Mitchell coaches them up right I think they may be able to challenge SC and MSU at the top of the league. Keyword, challenge.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So... uh, Kentucky has a nice group of talent coming in. If Mitchell coaches them up right I think they may be able to challenge SC and MSU at the top of the league. Keyword, challenge.
"If" is also a big keyword. We're talking about Mitchell. He's no coaching genius.

Reaction Score
"If" is also a big keyword. We're talking about Mitchell. He's no coaching genius.

I think Mitchell is a ‘good’ coach but not an elite one. Now I think they could be really intriguing to watch now that Howard has better options to work with moving forward. I think they will be strong. Mitchell would need to work hard to screw this up

Reaction Score
I've been trying to process the recruiting and transfers, though I'd start a thread.

Was thinking about Kentucky first and the question that immediately came to mind was how much eligibility does Chastity Patterson have remaining. UK listed her as a junior, I believe, but she only played in one game her sophomore year at Texas so I wasn't sure that she won't get a year back.

2020-21 team

Chastity Patterson
Rhyne Howard
Treasure Hunt
Dre'Una Edwards
?

21-22

Jazzmine Massengill 6'0
Rhyne Howard 6'2
Treasure Hunt 6'2
Dre'Una Edwards 6'2
Olivia Owens 6'4

Robin Benton 5'9 G (Auburn Tr.)
Blair Green 6'0 G
Jada Walker, Fr. (HG #63)
Erin Toller
Deasia Merrill 6'0 F
Nyah Levetter 6'3 F (HG #83)

If Patterson has another year, that's a pretty stacked team that might be a problem for folks.
I’m thinking Patterson gets another year so I’d suspect that she gets the starting nod in 21-22 and maybe moves Owens or Edwards to the bench.

Also I think Tatyana Wyatt or Keke McKinney starts at C on the 2020-2021 team. Both of them have been regular starters so they’ll bring experience and shooting from that spot. KY will be small again this season.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking Patterson gets another year so I’d suspect that she gets the starting nod in 21-22 and maybe moves Owens or Edwards to the bench.

Also I think Tatyana Wyatt or Keke McKinney starts at C on the 2020-2021 team. Both of them have been regular starters so they’ll bring experience and shooting from that spot. KY will be small again this season.

Patterson really came into her own down the stretch. Having a lineup with Patterson, Howard, Hunt, Edwards and McKinney should be really strong. Their top freshmen recruit from last year didn’t even play due to the injury (Merrill 4 star forward). They signed another solid freshmen class adding Leveretter and Toller. Their quality of depth should be much better but they will be young

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think Mitchell is a ‘good’ coach but not an elite one. Now I think they could be really intriguing to watch now that Howard has better options to work with moving forward. I think they will be strong. Mitchell would need to work hard to screw this up

I like this group. Once they get their transfers eligible in 2021-2022 (Howard's senior year) I think that'll be their best chance to make noise in conference and nationally. They have all of the pieces you need.

Reaction Score
I like this group. Once they get their transfers eligible in 2021-2022 (Howard's senior year) I think that'll be their best chance to make noise in conference and nationally. They have all of the pieces you need.

I think Kentucky should be very pretty potent this year before those transfers are even eligible. As I said before, Edwards is now eligible and she should be a big scoring presence inside. Treasure Hunt should be a very solid player for them on the wing, I think Hunt can be great but I try to temper expectations for freshmen. Patterson seemed to settle in and get comfortable towards the end. Its night and day compared to last year where I think the talent overall is significantly improved. I don't know how it will all come together and gel but on paper there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't take some steps forward and be a more balanced team overall.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Elite Eight, tops. Personnel will be there, but that's the ceiling imho, given the coaching.

Reaction Score
I think the conference will be stronger next year. SC only had one challenging game the whole season including the tournament so it is hard to argue the strength of the conference. This year I expect most teams in the league to be improve due to the super freshmen class being older and better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am willing to give Harper the benefit of the doubt and for her to have time to get her players. I just feel like Holly's fingerprints will take a few years to remove from the program. She was simply that inept. Harper does have a great class lined up for next year which is promising considering her first recruiting class. Whether Harper can get Tennessee back is still up in the air at this time but she needs time to get her kids.

I don't think Joni is the answer for Georgia and neither is Nikki for LSU. Joni, I don't feel like they have a system built to have successful teams, I am not impressed with their player development. They struggle to score a lot (similar to other SEC teams). As for Nikki, she has had close to 10 years. She is what she is at this point. she doesn't recruit a high enough level to be able to compete with the big dogs. Its all about playing defense with her. It may be good enough to pull off an upset or two in the PMAC each year but its not a recipe to compete for a SEC title or to go very far come tournament time.

White for Vandy is just in over her head. Vandy hasn't been the same since Balcomb left and white isn't bringing it back. She can't keep a roster together (healthy at least) and her teams play out of control with no discipline.

I can't really judge the Florida coach despite being underwhelming so far. Although, they made a major jump this year from the previous year and they have a very nice recruiting class coming in. I think this is the year where their success will tell us if he truly is a viable solution moving forward.
I too think Harper will be okay with some time. She won't be Pat but UT has the tradition and resources to stay in the hunt with the right mix of coaching and talent. I had high hopes for Taylor at Georgia. She is a Mississippi native who put together a nice career playing and coaching under some good names. Living in Atlanta, I know this state has enough talent where UGA could keep kids home and be a highly competitive team with the right coaching and development that hasn't happened so far. We both agree that Nikki is a good person and has probably done about all she can and will at LSU. I suspect a change will be made soon.

I am willing to give White at least one more season before passing too much judgement because Balcomb, while a good coach, had the program moving downward her final couple of seasons. The same goes with Florida. Like UGA, I would think FL would have enough home grown talent to keep a few around and at least be a middle of the pack team with the right coaching and development.

The SEC is a far cry from what it was in the 90s and early 2000s as other programs have ascended. I've never been hung up on the "best conference" title even in football where the SEC has demonstrated their depth on a national stage often. Still, it would make for a more interesting season to see a program not named SC or MSU keep those two on their toes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I too think Harper will be okay with some time. She won't be Pat but UT has the tradition and resources to stay in the hunt with the right mix of coaching and talent. I had high hopes for Taylor at Georgia. She is a Mississippi native who put together a nice career playing and coaching under some good names. Living in Atlanta, I know this state has enough talent where UGA could keep kids home and be a highly competitive team with the right coaching and development that hasn't happened so far. We both agree that Nikki is a good person and has probably done about all she can and will at LSU. I suspect a change will be made soon.

I am willing to give White at least one more season before passing too much judgement because Balcomb, while a good coach, had the program moving downward her final couple of seasons. The same goes with Florida. Like UGA, I would think FL would have enough home grown talent to keep a few around and at least be a middle of the pack team with the right coaching and development.

The SEC is a far cry from what it was in the 90s and early 2000s as other programs have ascended. I've never been hung up on the "best conference" title even in football where the SEC has demonstrated their depth on a national stage often. Still, it would make for a more interesting season to see a program not named SC or MSU keep those two on their toes.

More than Holly just going after individual talent, Harper seems to be recruiting with a plan to improve their shooting and overall diversity of skills. TN will hover around 16-20 I guess

There overall size is sick (average 6' 2", one player < 6')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom