SEC Postseason awards 2020-21 | The Boneyard

SEC Postseason awards 2020-21

Reaction Score
I agree with the SEC 1st Team list. Watched a lot more SEC games than PAC-12 games this year!

Reaction Score
POY is a tough one for me.

I don't get the Howard hype, but she had great stats. It was between her and Boston and scoring won out.

What I find most interesting, re: the SEC, is how this loaded freshman class isn't represented in that conference. Every other conference's all-freshman team is going to be loaded with future POY and All-America type players, but not this one.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Think Rae should have been on the 1st team with Re. Congrats to all the ladies tho! It’s been a good season despite all the Covid craziness!

Reaction Score
Stunner is Taylor winning COY.

also surprised by Suarez making frosh team. Yes she is good enough to start (until recently) but not much of a standout in the times I’ve seen her.

Reaction Score
Stunner is Taylor winning COY.

also surprised by Suarez making frosh team. Yes she is good enough to start (until recently) but not much of a standout in the times I’ve seen her.
I didn't mind that so much with Taylor, I think Blair could win national coach of the year.

In terms of freshmen, it wasn't exactly a standout class this year compared to last year which was extremely deep (Boston, Jackson, Mathru, Franks, Blackwell, Briggs, Love, Cooke, Horston). Elauna Eaton of Arkansas, I thought was gonna be a big player but unfortunately missed this season due to injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Shame that Burrell didn't get first team, especially in favor of Zia Cooke. Look at their conference numbers:

Burrell: 17.3 ppg, 4.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.5 A/TO, 0.8 steals, 46.6% FG, 38.5% 3pt, 80.4% FT

Cooke: 15.6 ppg, 2.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.8 A/TO, 1.0 steals, 37.4% Fg, 25.4% 3pt, 74.3% FT

I don't have a problem with Howard getting CPOY since she did have a fine season, but if I had a vote it would've gone to Rennia Davis based on conference play only. Comparable numbers in conference play but Rennia was more efficient and her team finished higher. Boston would've been my #2 pick, Howard 3, Dungee 4.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Chelsea can’t complain too much as Arkansas was 6th and went 9-6 in conference play and as Howard was the front runner, so all Rhyne has to do was remain relevant which she did. Now if Arkansas could have finished 3rd or even 4th, then Dungee might have had a better case for it but as it was they finished behind AND lost to Kentucky.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Sort of a cheap shot at Howard who had better numbers than her across the board aside from 1.5ppg. Dungee didn't deserve to win this year IMO and would've been my #4 choice.

She also went on a twitter tirade a couple of years ago when she was left off 1st Team All-SEC. Good for her to use that as motivation to elevate her play in the SEC tournament but public statements like that imply she's as much about herself as she is about the team which is a pretty bad look for a star on a team with title hopes.

Reaction Score
Both Arkansas and Tennessee both whom have an axe to grind about Howard winning SEC POY are on the opposite side of the bracket of Kentucky in the SECT.

Reaction Score
Sort of a cheap shot at Howard who had better numbers than her across the board aside from 1.5ppg. Dungee didn't deserve to win this year IMO and would've been my #4 choice.

She also went on a twitter tirade a couple of years ago when she was left off 1st Team All-SEC. Good for her to use that as motivation to elevate her play in the SEC tournament but public statements like that imply she's as much about herself as she is about the team which is a pretty bad look for a star on a team with title hopes.
I kinda understand her point... But I don't think she'd win over Rennia Davis or Boston

Reaction Score
Shame that Burrell didn't get first team, especially in favor of Zia Cooke. Look at their conference numbers:

Burrell: 17.3 ppg, 4.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.5 A/TO, 0.8 steals, 46.6% FG, 38.5% 3pt, 80.4% FT

Cooke: 15.6 ppg, 2.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.8 A/TO, 1.0 steals, 37.4% Fg, 25.4% 3pt, 74.3% FT

I don't have a problem with Howard getting CPOY since she did have a fine season, but if I had a vote it would've gone to Rennia Davis based on conference play only. Comparable numbers in conference play but Rennia was more efficient and her team finished higher. Boston would've been my #2 pick, Howard 3, Dungee 4.

I would not have voted for Cooke for an all conference team. I don't think getting points on 37% shooting is a very happy stat.

IMO, Henderson was more deserving of a nod after averaged 12pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds ... leading the SEC in assists, shooting 40+% from three, and maintaining a 2/1 A/TO.

I'm not really going to make a stink about her not making it, but I'll die on the hill that she's a perfectly fine point guard that needs to clean up the turnovers that started to snowball in the second half.

Give her a little more help and I think she can win a title. If not, should be another quality option understudying her next season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What is it with the SEC divas and the non-comedic Rodney Dangerfield routines. "Whaaa! I didn't win such-and-such individual award! I get no respect!" First it's Howard spending the entire offseason whining about not getting on one of the AA teams, now Dungee whining (again) but some individual award that didn't fall her way.

Truly one of the most underwhelming SEC POY awards in conference history, for a player on a team that went 9-6 with two losses to Ole Miss.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would not have voted for Cooke for an all conference team. I don't think getting points on 37% shooting is a very happy stat.

IMO, Henderson was more deserving of a nod after averaged 12pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds ... leading the SEC in assists, shooting 40+% from three, and maintaining a 2/1 A/TO.

I'm not really going to make a stink about her not making it, but I'll die on the hill that she's a perfectly fine point guard that needs to clean up the turnovers that started to snowball in the second half.

Give her a little more help and I think she can win a title. If not, should be another quality option understudying her next season.

Agree Henderson deserved it over Cooke. I would've put Burrell on there ahead of Henderson but Henderson would've been a better pick than Zia.

Henderson is a good player but doesn't do a great job of running the offense IMO. A lot of that falls on Dawn but especially as of late the offense has become extremely guard oriented instead of focusing on getting quality looks for Boston/Saxton. Even when they do look to Boston, it's just throw it around the perimeter for an entry pass without being at all deceptive instead of setting any screens. They has similar struggles in 2018-19 but then everything clicked the following season with Harris still running the show, so the same could happen again for Dawn. That said, SC is still definitely a major title threat.

Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts on how Amihere has performed so far this year? It seems to have been an up and down season based on her playing time.

Maybe the turnaround happens next season, but I had thought we'd see more of an impact this year. It also could be the Canadian fan bias where my expectations are higher than they should be.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts on how Amihere has performed so far this year? It seems to have been an up and down season based on her playing time.

Maybe the turnaround happens next season, but I had thought we'd see more of an impact this year. It also could be the Canadian fan bias where my expectations are higher than they should be.
My feelings are about the same....underwhelmed but not counting her out. Uber athletic but still incredibly raw. Dawn does well with posts so I'd expect she'll either make strides next year or she winds up buried behind Feagin/Boston/Saxton. I know she worked really hard this past off-season so maybe another big off-season will make the difference for her.

Reaction Score
Agree Henderson deserved it over Cooke. I would've put Burrell on there ahead of Henderson but Henderson would've been a better pick than Zia.

Henderson is a good player but doesn't do a great job of running the offense IMO. A lot of that falls on Dawn but especially as of late the offense has become extremely guard oriented instead of focusing on getting quality looks for Boston/Saxton. Even when they do look to Boston, it's just throw it around the perimeter for an entry pass without being at all deceptive instead of setting any screens. They has similar struggles in 2018-19 but then everything clicked the following season with Harris still running the show, so the same could happen again for Dawn. That said, SC is still definitely a major title threat.
I thought they made adjustments after Boston's slow start that were effective. Then they seemed to fade out of existence. Could be that teams countered them, but it just seemed to me that they went away from them. Maybe they can return to the drawing board with a bit of down time.

if there was a program or two that was making it look easy this year, I'd probably write South Carolina off. As it stands, I think South Carolina would have to play 3-4 ugly nail biters in the tournament and it seems unlikely the coin flip would go in their favor every time.

Reaction Score
They has similar struggles in 2018-19 but then everything clicked the following season with Harris still running the show, so the same could happen again for Dawn. That said, SC is still definitely a major title threat.

Going from the sadly one legged Jennings (6'2) to a 6'5 healthy and more talented Boston was a massive defensive upgrade. That cleaned up a lot of the defensive failures from the prior season.

And Harris and Herbert-Harrigan were just calm and better than they had been the year before.

Add in much better depth and it was off to the races. I'm sad that team didn't get to play it out, because it was my favorite Staley team to watch on the offensive end.

To get back there offensively, I think they probably have to get more out of the 3 spot unless Saxton really comes on. That's likely a project for next season. My hopes are on Rivers, I suppose.

Reaction Score
What is it with the SEC divas and the non-comedic Rodney Dangerfield routines. "Whaaa! I didn't win such-and-such individual award! I get no respect!" First it's Howard spending the entire offseason whining about not getting on one of the AA teams, now Dungee whining (again) but some individual award that didn't fall her way.

Truly one of the most underwhelming SEC POY awards in conference history, for a player on a team that went 9-6 with two losses to Ole Miss.
I was thinking the same thing after hearing Dungee's comments. I don't understand it either.

I don't know about others, but isn't this indicative of what we're seeing with HS all-star selections? Thought I saw Diamond Johnson make some posts last year about the McDonald's AA. I've seen similar comments from program directors in Canada some times too. This type of reaction/behaviour seems to becoming the norm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom