SEC lifts booze ban at games

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now maybe they won't have to sneak in the moonshine in their flasks. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Perfect. This will be sure to attract more frat boys.

Reaction Score
We used to attend UConn hockey games with a pint of blackberry brandy in our pockets. But the rink was open-air.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am much more concerned with efforts across the SEC area to allow firearms to be carried into sporting events. To allow either would,IMO, lead to an increased risk of dangerous behavior. But the two combined could be very risky. In defense of the schools, most oppose one or both of these proposals. The alcohol sales will be strongly supported by the opportunity to earn money for the vendors , and more likely to prevail. There is plenty of alcohol at football games already, even though the stadium security has increased the inspection of packages and bulky clothing.

Reaction Score
The University of Wyoming lifted it's alcohol bans a couple of years ago. One of the reasons was because the school was not happy with the number of students going to the game hammered. They thought that allowing alcohol, but limiting how many you can have would be a good idea.

Selling alcohol was definitely a success because Wyomingites love to drink. But the students did not like that the limit was 4 drinks. Students were actually going to the games more hammered than before lol

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Really bad idea.....
I have no opinion on the SEC. But I can say that Arizona did it this last year.

While I have no idea about the financial side, there was a comment in the local paper, as part of a sports recap, that the administration / security folks were happily impressed. There was no increase in issues at football games, it appears.

Beer was also on sale at softball.

Reaction Score
Really bad idea.....

Why? Beer has been sold at virtually every off campus facility for a while now, and there has been no increase in issues. Just wait until sports gambling becomes legal in more states. Every arena, stadium, and field house in the country is going to be filled with betting kiosks and Budweiser taps, there is just too much money to made. I am all for it, if it means more $ to the school and bigger crowds on gameday,

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The University of Wyoming lifted it's alcohol bans a couple of years ago. One of the reasons was because the school was not happy with the number of students going to the game hammered. They thought that allowing alcohol, but limiting how many you can have would be a good idea.

Selling alcohol was definitely a success because Wyomingites love to drink. But the students did not like that the limit was 4 drinks. Students were actually going to the games more hammered than before lol

I was in graduate school in the 80's when the Federal government began really enforcing the 21-year-old drinking age, including withholding funds from universities that didn't enforce it. A lab-mate of mine hung out with some undergrads and went to a party in a freshman dorm. The RA checked in periodically. So the kids had a keg in a CLOSET, and a guard outside the closet door. So kids would go into the closet, suck down as much beer as possible directly from the tap, and come out when the coast was clear. My friend said he'd never seen a group as spitfaced as those.

I like the idea of keeping it all in the open and responsible, but then I'm reasonable, which will get me nowhere. There's no way to make them irresponsible more quickly than to make it verboten and force it behind closed doors.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why? Beer has been sold at virtually every off campus facility for a while now, and there has been no increase in issues. Just wait until sports gambling becomes legal in more states. Every arena, stadium, and field house in the country is going to be filled with betting kiosks and Budweiser taps, there is just too much money to made. I am all for it, if it means more $ to the school and bigger crowds on gameday,
SEC fans are already pretty obnoxious, particularly at football games, and yes, there’s a lot of drinking that precedes the games at tailgates, frat houses and off campus bars. My concern is that there will be a small minority of fans who will abuse the additional access to alcohol, creating problems for the many well-meaning fans who are there simply to enjoy the game.

I’ve attended various pro and college sporting events all my life. Unfortunately, the number of incidents where I and my family have been seated next to one or more obnoxious drunks continues to increase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom