SEC Awards | The Boneyard

SEC Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Warlick - Mathies/Simmons - Graves (Coach - Player - Frosh)

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/mar/05/sec-sweep-for-lady-vols-warlick-coach-simmons-co/

WOMEN'S ALL-SEC TEAMSCoach of the Year: Holly Warlick, UTCo-Players of the Year: A’dia Mathies, Kentucky/Meighan Simmons, UT
Freshman of the Year: Bashaara Graves, TennesseeDefensive Player of the Year: Ieasia Walker, South CarolinaCo-6th Woman of the Year: Sarah Watkins, Arkansas (Sr)/Morgan Eye, Missouri (So)Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Blanche Alverson, Auburn

All-SEC First TeamJasmine Hassell, Georgia (Sr)A’dia Mathies, Kentucky (Sr)
DeNesha Stallworth, Kentucky (Jr)Theresa Plaisance, LSU (Jr)Ieasia Walker, South Carolina (Sr)Bashaara Graves, UT (Fr)Meighan Simmons, UT (Jr)Kelsey Bone, Texas A&M (Sr/Jr)Tiffany Clarke, Vanderbilt (Sr)

All-SEC Second TeamHasina Muhammad, Auburn (So)Jennifer George, Florida (Sr)Jasmine James, Georgia (Sr)
Samarie Walker, Kentucky (Jr)Adrienne Webb, LSU (Sr)Martha Alwal, Mississippi St. (So)Bri Kulas, Missouri (Jr)Ashley Bruner, South Carolina (Sr)Aleighsa Welch, South Carolina (So)
Adrienne Pratcher, Texas A&M (Sr)Jasmine Lister, Vanderbilt (Jr)

All-Defensive TeamJennifer George, FloridaShacobia Barbee, Georgia (Fr)Samarie Walker, Kentucky Danielle Ballard, LSU (Fr)Theresa Plaisance, LSUMartha Alwal, Mississippi St.Ieasia Walker, South Carolina
All-Freshman TeamSydney Moss, FloridaShacobia Barbee, GeorgiaDanielle Ballard, LSULianna Doty, MissouriTiffany Mitchell, South CarolinaBashaara Graves, UT
C
ourtney Walker, Texas A&M
H
eather Bowe, Vanderbilt

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Simmons? Sure, on one of the lists, but Co-POY?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The only problem for me is Ballard for LSU should have made all SEC team.

Reaction Score

SEC has good players but no superstars (I wouldnt put any of them as 1st or 2nd team AA). No clear front runner for POY.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
She is like a spark plug. When she is scoring either 3's or on fast break. The team plays better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She is like a spark plug. When she is scoring either 3's or on fast break. The team plays better.
Yep, but she shoots poorly too often for my taste. Actually, she can shoot poorly as much as she wants. :) But for award consideration, her percentage is low. That's what I meant.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Yep, but she shoots poorly too often for my taste. Actually, she can shoot poorly as much as she wants. :) But for award consideration, her percentage is low. That's what I meant.
Simmons led the SEC team in scoring and her team finished first. Mathies who shared the SEC POY shoots 40.5 from the field. Diggins will most likely be 1st team All American and her percentage isn't much better. Simmons is at 42.9 and Diggins is at 43.1. Simmons is shooting 37.3 from 3 and Diggins 34.4. Simmons takes some bad shots sometimes but so does every player I have seen except maybe KML. I'm not sure there is a bad shot for her.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Simmons led the SEC team in scoring and her team finished first. Mathies who shared the SEC POY shoots 40.5 from the field. Diggins will most likely be 1st team All American and her percentage isn't much better. Simmons is at 42.9 and Diggins is at 43.1. Simmons is shooting 37.3 from 3 and Diggins 34.4. Simmons takes some bad shots sometimes but so does every player I have seen except maybe KML. I'm not sure there is a bad shot for her.

It's not just bad shots, it's selfish shots. I would guess that she takes more shots before 10 seconds is gone on the shot clock than any player in WCBB.

But, to each their own. She has great intensity and when she is on, she can be devestating to the opponent.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
It's not just bad shots, it's selfish shots. I would guess that she takes more shots before 10 seconds is gone on the shot clock than any player in WCBB.

But, to each their own. She has great intensity and when she is on, she can be devestating to the opponent.
She is anything but selfish and is all about the team. Mathies and Simmons both share the award but no one is questioning Mathies even though she shoots a lot and her percentage is lower. Both know they need to score to help their team but they also do much more. Also DD I see you always sticking up for UCONN players and I think that is great. I guess that only applies to UCONN players? Meighan has this reputation now of being a selfish player and I know for a fact she is aware of it and it hurts her. All these girls are just doing their best and want to help their team win. I completely understand your dislike for TN fans and coaches but can she be given a break?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Quit trying to confuse us with those pesky supporting statistics.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Simmons led the SEC in scoring at 19.6 ppg in SEC play. It's not just her scoring she also is playing better on defense. Holly coach of year taking over for a legend.

Reaction Score

Comparing Simmons to diggins is laughable. Diggins controls the nd offense and gets her team involved. And here's a stat for you: Simmons 0.8 Diggins 1.7. (Assist to turnover ratio)

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Comparing Simmons to diggins is laughable. Diggins controls the nd offense and gets her team involved. And here's a stat for you: Simmons 0.8 Diggins 1.7. (Assist to turnover ratio)
The only reason for the compare with Diggins was because their shooting percentage and you stated that Simmon's percentage was too low for awards. I included Mathies because hers is even lower and she got the same award. For some reason everyone gets a pass except Simmons.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've been pleased with the play of Símmons this year. One thing you can never say about her is that she doesn't give it 100% every time she steps on the court. You can tell that she really wants to do all she can to help her team win.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Graves made first team all SEC. She is the fifth Tennessee freshman to do that. Parker, Catchings, Gordon and Holdsclaw were the others. I'd say that's a pretty good list.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not much going on in the SEC so thats night a huge feat

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Show me where I said that.
Sorry, it was Milford that said her percentage is low for award consideration. That is the only reason I included Diggins's shooting percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom