SEC, ACC Reject West Va.; SEC Targets Mizzou | The Boneyard

SEC, ACC Reject West Va.; SEC Targets Mizzou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC rejecting West VA confuses me, I would have thought they were one of the prime targets, if they had accepted WEST VA UCONN could have been a shoe in with FSU being now happy with a stronger football university being in the conference. I guess everything falls on UT possibly going to the PAC and ND possibly staying independent.

Reaction Score
The ACC rejecting West VA confuses me, I would have thought they were one of the prime targets, if they had accepted WEST VA UCONN could have been a shoe in with FSU being now happy with a stronger football university being in the conference. I guess everything falls on UT possibly going to the PAC and ND possibly staying independent.

wv is not smart enough for the acc!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Academics. The ACC tries to distinguish itself from the "lesser" schools of the South. UVA, Duke, BC and UNC are quite strong. None are truly weak links. WVU would be a step down. Smart to reject them. Likewise, Mizzou is far more attractive. Solid teams, better academics and much better tv markets.

Reaction Score
Yea but from Mizzou's POV it would be a much better choice to go with SEC over the ACC.

Reaction Score
Academics? I thought we were talking about athletic conferences.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't mean Mizzou to ACC I meant SEC preferring them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself. Penn State's research grant money is now $400m a year. Increased significantly since joining the Big Ten. For the big time research institutions, the athletics are much less significant than the grants. Sports are great profitable advertisements for the school. Is the Ivy league an athletic conference? Yes, but not one known for sports. Harvard pulled in $600m in grants in 2010. The Big Ten and ACC see themselves similarly. They want schools that meet or raise the profile on all counts. WVU does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom