SEC 21-22 Offseason | The Boneyard

SEC 21-22 Offseason

Reaction Score
Lots going on with transfer portal and seniors staying for the free extra year of eligibility. Sure more portal updates will change rosters but anyone brave enough to supply your prediction for next season? Maybe team rankings within the conference

Reaction Score
1. SC
2. UGA
3. TAMU or Kentucky
4. Kentucky or TAMU
5. Tennessee or Arkansas or Mizzou
6. Arkansas or Mizzou or Tennessee
7. Mizzou or Arkansas or Tennessee
8. Ole Miss
9. Florida
10. LSU or Mississippi State or Alabama
11. Mississippi State or LSU or Alabama
12. Alabama or Mississippi State or LSU
13. Vandy or Auburn
14. Auburn or Vandy

Reaction Score
10. LSU
You must have missed the memo from Nikki yesterday. LSU will be MAJOR contenders. ;)

"We are thrilled that Khayla, Jailin, and Faustine have decided to return and finish what they started," said head coach Nikki Fargas. "They bring a wealth of leadership on and off the court. More importantly, they will have already graduated with a degree. They are driven to make sure LSU is back on the National scene. With the return of this nucleus, the phenomenal freshman class, and the impactful transfers, LSU will be a major contender for this upcoming season."

EmYq_8aeeMCKCw3yhjXasWKo0POIQFvc1HyznKu693Q.gif

Reaction Score
She’s just setting herself up, isn’t she?

I mean, they might be better. Copeland and Newby are both good. But I don’t know how they’re going to score very many points. They’ll have to win a lot of 36-34 games, I guess.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
1. SC
2. UGA
3. TAMU or Kentucky
4. Kentucky or TAMU
5. Tennessee or Arkansas or Mizzou
6. Arkansas or Mizzou or Tennessee
7. Mizzou or Arkansas or Tennessee
8. Ole Miss
9. Florida
10. LSU or Mississippi State or Alabama
11. Mississippi State or LSU or Alabama
12. Alabama or Mississippi State or LSU
13. Vandy or Auburn
14. Auburn or Vandy
I'd put Ole Miss higher, Austin is excellent and they played much better basketball as the season progressed. I dont see Arkansas being top 5 but they have a couple of nice players back. Mississippi State I could see finishing a lot higher too if chemistry improves with the flood of transfers. A core of Jackson, Hayes, Carter and Taylor is excellent.

Reaction Score
She’s just setting herself up, isn’t she?

I mean, they might be better. Copeland and Newby are both good. But I don’t know how they’re going to score very many points. They’ll have to win a lot of 36-34 games, I guess.
Copeland is a good pickup, Newby I don't think is that great, but she has experience and its another body. That said, LSU can't play the defense they want (trapping and matchup zone) with Copeland and Aifuwa on the floor at the same. Would be way too slow IMO.

Nikki normally talks up a good game. Before this season, she talked about this veteran team reminding her of her sweet 16 teams from her first few years at LSU. Then this ends up being her 2nd worst team at LSU outside that other year.

Not buying her freshmen class hype either. She did that with the last class and they literally didn't play at all. Its all window shopping.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
As it stands now?

1. South Carolina
2. Georgia
3. Texas A&M
4. Arkansas (Neighbors gets some stars as usual, but they lose Dungee and Slocum. Still can't see anyone else being higher)
5. Tennessee (they need some players in the portal right about now. Once they get some, they'll move up)
6. Kentucky (They still haven't found a way to go up the ranks with Howard and lots of other great players, so not expecting that to change)
7. Ole Miss
8. Missouri
9. LSU
10. Florida
11. Mississippi State
12. Alabama
13. Auburn
14. Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
I'd put Ole Miss higher, Austin is excellent and they played much better basketball as the season progressed. I dont see Arkansas being top 5 but they have a couple of nice players back. Mississippi State I could see finishing a lot higher too if chemistry improves with the flood of transfers. A core of Jackson, Hayes, Carter and Taylor is excellent.
I see all your points, but I think the Hogs will surprise, with Wolfenbarger, Goforth, Eaton, Daniels, and Ramirez (not necessarily their starting lineup), there are weapons, and the team will be much longer and better on defense.

MS State has some really good players, but that was true this year, as well. I am also worried about the depth for the Bulldogs.

And I really struggled with where to put Ole Miss. Clearly improving and they have a superstar, but ... I’m just not yet a believer. They could really break out, though.

Reaction Score
Not buying her freshmen class hype either. She did that with the last class and they literally didn't play at all. Its all window shopping.

Same. Like I said, she is setting herself up for letting people down, I think. Strange.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't personally put Kentucky in the top 4. I don't trust Elzy to get them there despite their talent.

Are they capable? Sure but something has been off with Kentucky. Maybe they prove me wrong next year.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't personally put Kentucky in the top 4. I don't trust Elzy to get them there despite their talent.

Are they capable? Sure but something has been off with Kentucky. Maybe they prove me wrong next year.
That was my question. They seemed to underachieve this year, and they lose Patterson and McKinney. Not sure who runs point, but I think that Hunt, Howard, and Massengill’s Hamilton Heights connection must be good for something. I guess I’m giving Howard a lot of respect here, too.

Reaction Score
I will give this a shot

1. SC
2. Georgia
3. A&M
4. Arkansas
5. Tennessee
6. Kentucky
7. Ole Miss
8. Miss St
9. LSU
10. Florida
11. Missouri
12. Alabama
13. Vanderbilt
14. Auburn

The only thing clear cut to me is SC at #1, not sure anyone can actually challenge them next year. A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas have some big losses but return some talented players. I like Ole Miss's trajectory at this time, plus they added some solid transfers. Miss St potentially could go a bit higher but I am skeptical still. Until they play hard and step up their game defensively, they will be on the wrong end of the conference.

LSU will probably be improved in the post but I am not buying the hype from Nikki. Losing Young was a big loss and I think teams will make everyone other than Pointer try to beat them next year. I think having a bunch of new players will hurt their chemistry defensively.

Alabama is losing too much fire power

J. Harris has an uphill battle at Auburn, gotta hit the portal and bring in some talent.

A lot can change depending on injuries and how the rest of the transfer portal season goes. A lot of good players still available out there.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I see all your points, but I think the Hogs will surprise, with Wolfenbarger, Goforth, Eaton, Daniels, and Ramirez (not necessarily their starting lineup), there are weapons, and the team will be much longer and better on defense.

MS State has some really good players, but that was true this year, as well. I am also worried about the depth for the Bulldogs.

And I really struggled with where to put Ole Miss. Clearly improving and they have a superstar, but ... I’m just not yet a believer. They could really break out, though.
Hogs have firepower again, I'm not sold on them being better defensively though. Team defense is often a product of discipline and chemistry which stems from coaching and Neighbors teams have never been strong defensively.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee has a good core group returning.
Green will help inside on both ends.
Burrell coming of her best year so far.
Key is good. The main thing has been foul trouble.
Suarez foot problem at the end of the year. I look for her game to be improved.
Horston very talented. I think she will have her best year.
4 incoming freshman. Let's see who's ready.

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee will crack the top 3. They lost Davis yes. But at times Davis was not their best player until that SC game when they staged that comeback. That being said. I still think they are better than Arkansas all the way down to the bottom.
Harper will have a full off-season developing Jordan walker into a pure point guard which is huge. Horston can move to the 2 or 3. Green return will help at the 4. Because that Kasi and Key duo at the end was horrible.

Key is the key(literally, lol) to how much they'll improve. If she can get stronger. Get some post moves and finish at the rim is what can bring them from #5 to #3.
Burrell will be one of the best players in the conference.

Reaction Score
LSU will still be in that #7-10 range. Only because Alabama lost a lot. Mississippi state being a question mark. And them playing tug a war with Ole Miss lol I'm expecting the 10. But somehow Fargas knows how to win a game or 2 extra while losing to teams like vandy and Florida

Reaction Score
They lost Davis yes. But at times Davis was not their best player until that SC game when they staged that comeback.

Key is the key(literally, lol) to how much they'll improve. If she can get stronger. Get some post moves and finish at the rim is what can bring them from #5 to #3.
Davis may not have always had great scoring games but pretty sure she got the most defensive attention. Defense will be different next year. Burrell in particular will find things tougher.

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee will crack the top 3. They lost Davis yes. But at times Davis was not their best player until that SC game when they staged that comeback. That being said. I still think they are better than Arkansas all the way down to the bottom.
Harper will have a full off-season developing Jordan walker into a pure point guard which is huge. Horston can move to the 2 or 3. Green return will help at the 4. Because that Kasi and Key duo at the end was horrible.

I think Tennessee will be solid but Davis is a massive loss. She played her best ball at the end of the year, she had over ten 20 point games since conference play started. No one has shown that they are near that level which will put a lot more stress on the supporting cast to help Burrell out. It will be a work in progress to find where that production will come from.

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee will be solid but Davis is a massive loss. She played her best ball at the end of the year, she had over ten 20 point games since conference play started. No one has shown that they are near that level which will put a lot more stress on the supporting cast to help Burrell out. It will be a work in progress to find where that production will come from.
Fair points. I also factored the other SEC teams returning talent. SC is by far the most complete team. Georgia and Joni Taylor done trended up. I think they are the second best as well. After that. Everyone has too many holes.
A&M lost Wilson, Jones, and Johnson. Those are huge. Especially the inside. I think they have enough talented guards to replace Wilson

Arkansas will always struggle vs bigger teams and replacing Dungee and Slocum could be a task. They have pieces, but is it enough.

Kentucky is actually in good shape. But... Will they be consistent and still a question coaching.

Tennessee lost Re. But gains Wynn, Green returning, Striplin, Puckett, and Miles. At least 2 of the freshman will have immediate impact.

Harper job is to find lineups to compliment Rae. This is a complete team. But the pieces that complete the team are young. The faster they develop. The better Tennessee will be

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas will always struggle vs bigger teams and replacing Dungee and Slocum could be a task. They have pieces, but is it enough.

Next year Arkansas will have one of the taller/longer lineups in the conference. Three of their incoming freshman are Wolfenbarger at 6’5”, Ellis at 6’3”, and Sage at 6’1.5”. Wolfenbarger is a starter from day 1, and the other two (especially Ellis) may contribute early. Goforth is 6’1”, Eaton is 6’, Davis is 6’, Barnum is 6’2”. Oberg is 6’3”, though she has a lot to show in terms of getting playing time.

I am also hoping that the Hogs can sneak a post out of the portal. (It’s hard to type with your fingers crossed.)

Arkansas will start Daniels or Ramirez (both 5’9” ish), for sure, for one small player, and maybe they will both play, but the days of chalking the Hogs up as “short” are over for a while, imo.

I do think the question about replacing Dungee and Slocum is a very fair one. I don’t expect the Hogs to run the same half-court offense next year that they ran this year (which was basically: “Let Chelsea drive and maybe kick, or let Slocum dribble to try to create something.”). We’ll have to see how they adjust their half-court game to the new personnel.

Reaction Score
Lotta new coaches and MState gonna be still in transition to a newish coach. Bama and A&M gonna have a lot of new faces on the floor. Room for Ole Miss to rise to top half and for UGA and/or Tennessee to challenge, but Dawn will have the most talent she has ever had. Arkansas will have a freshman star to build around in Wolfy. Can Kentucky ever get it together on the hardwood instead of paper?

very unpredictable except the top.

Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts on the departure of Tennessee's assistant coaches?

I think their replacements will have an impact on how they progress next season. I know Coach Harper's husband is their post coach and I thought their posts got better this year. How they handle guards for next season will be interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom