Seattle at the Mystics, Game 3 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Seattle at the Mystics, Game 3

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It would be a shame if she didn't end up coaching. I watched the clips of her talking with her team and the passion and intensity was special. Wish her the best whatever she chooses, obviously, and more years playing before she makes that makes the decision.

This was one of the easiest playoff runs Storm's head coach Dan Hughes has had. He did all of his teaching and coaching during the regular season. Sue is a coach on the floor and on the sidelines. During the post season, she spent as much time talking to the players during timeouts and between periods as he did. She was the unequivocal leader on the floor.

Her teammates do respond to her direction and coaching. She's been playing basketball for roughly 30 years at various levels. She knows the game, plus she's a disciple of Geno the great. That fact alone gets her extra "brownie points". How many active coaches can say that (they played basketball for 30 years)? Most of them have not been coaching for 30 years. :confused:

Sue is not done yet. She played as well, and looked as good as any player in the league, regardless of age. Sue already has HOF credentials if she never plays another game. Every player (and the coaches) will tell you the Storm is Sue's team. Make no mistake about that!!! To a player, every one of them wanted to win this championship for Sue.

What does that say about the relationship she has with each one of them, and the respect and admiration they have for her? “I didn’t ask them to do anything for me,” Bird said. “This wasn’t about me. This was 100% about them, and just trying to grow them up quick. I just wanted to bridge that gap as fast as I could, and they’ve been great. They trust me. They've trusted me from day one."

I'll prove my point with a rhetorical question: If you were the AD at a D1 school that was consistently ranked in the top 25 somewhere between #15-25, and you were looking for a new coach to come in and run your women's basketball program, and you had 3 candidates to choose from, Sue Bird, Kevin McGuff and Holly Warlick, which one would you choose? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue: "I don't know these guys!"

Dm_BuRXUYAABJ3Z.jpg:large

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue Bird to coach UConn when Geno retires? I'm down with that.

She says Storrs is a nice place to visit, but full time no thanks. Funny, when the Storm drafted her it was Oh No, way out there. Now, of course, she says she looks forward to getting old in Seattle. Hmmm, maybe the Sonics???

Reaction Score
Some of here remember what you said a few months ago.
Yup. I was dead wrong about Clark Sue Bird and that Canada might be ready to replace her by mid season .
I also thought Sue Bird was washed up after her 2014 season. She was very average for her standards. Was wrong again.
Won’t question anything about Sue Bird again except her broadcasting. She playing better than I’ve seen her since I started watching W in 2014.
Clark was a different player this year. She was always a liability and lacked confidence on offense as a pro to the point she was holding that team back. Now she is terrific teamed Stewart and Howard as a front court. She gives them scoring defense and boards just like Howard. Top scorer in country at Mid Tenn her senior year which one would never think.
Clark averaged 27 her Jr yr and 28 a game as a Sr.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup. I was dead wrong about Clark Sue Bird and that Canada might be ready to replace her by mid season .
I also thought Sue Bird was washed up after her 2014 season. She was very average for her standards. Was wrong again.
Won’t question anything about Sue Bird again except her broadcasting. She playing better than I’ve seen her since I started watching W in 2014.
Clark was a different player this year. She was always a liability and lacked confidence on offense as a pro to the point she was holding that team back. Now she is terrific teamed Stewart and Howard as a front court. She gives them scoring defense and boards just like Howard. Top scorer in country at Mid Tenn her senior year which one would never think.
Clark averaged 27 her Jr yr and 28 a game as a Sr.
Have to admit her defense on DT, and then on Toliver in the finals made a believer out of me. She took the pressure off everyone else by taking the tough assignment on defense. Not many players are willing to be put on an island on defense, but Clark was, and was the difference in the playoffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom