Seasoning pans | The Boneyard

Seasoning pans

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Back in the great "what stove should I buy" thread of 2021, I mentioned that we got an induction range. It's ok. One limitation is that the ubiquitous aluminum pans with non-stick coating don't work unless they have a disk on the bottom. We've got a big cast iron pan, which came pre-seasoned, and it is ok. But I missed a small egg pan I used to make egg sandwiches, and found a French carbon steel pan, that needs to be seasoned. I've tried it, scrubbed it off, tried it, scrubbed it off and just tried it again. This is the result. Does this look right? When I see the videos online it doesn't have these rings and uneven patches. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? In particular I can't seem to cover the handle area and that's where eggs stick the worst.

By the way, if I can figure this out I may get more of these pans. Lighter and easier to use than cast iron. Still built for a lifetime.

pan.jpg

Reaction Score
Carbon steel pans are AWESOME but require a lot of love at first. I seasoned my wok 7 times before I felt comfortable cooking with it, and my pan 4 times. (Both by Made-in, great company). What I've found works best is heating it up slowly from low to medium low to medium to medium high until very warm, then adding the THINNEST layer possible of wax (again, I use made-in wax but a high smoke-point oil like grapeseed will work too). Heat for about 5 minutes, it will start smoking, at high and then let cool completely. Do not scrub or anything. Repeat the process a few more times (I lazily do it 3-4 days in a row).
Here is a great video about it
Once theyre seasoned well, they're amazing for everything but acids. Acids kill the seasoning and you have to start all over again

Reaction Score
Hey, what kind of induction range did you get? My wife is into the French thing, she wants Lacanche. I like the old fashion look of their propane ranges, but whenever I see an induction range, it looks modern like a glass top. Lacanche doesn’t have yet in US an induction only range; they have combination ones that have mostly propane burners and also a couple of induction ones. Do you have a vent for your induction range? Thanks,

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hey, what kind of induction range did you get? My wife is into the French thing, she wants Lacanche. I like the old fashion look of their propane ranges, but whenever I see an induction range, it looks modern like a glass top. Lacanche doesn’t have yet in US an induction only range; they have combination ones that have mostly propane burners and also a couple of induction ones. Do you have a vent for your induction range? Thanks,
We got a Bosch. I don't like the controls at all, but the Kitchen Aid we bought made a horrible high pitched noise. No vent, just the usual above in the microwave.

Reaction Score
We got a Bosch. I don't like the controls at all, but the Kitchen Aid we bought made a horrible high pitched noise. No vent, just the usual above in the microwave.
How do you like the cooking results? Does the lowest temp simmer or is it still pretty hot? Asking because with our remodel underway, we are cooking with toaster oven, microwave, outdoor grill, and a single burner induction hot plate. Granted, the hot plate isn’t a full Bosch range, but the low burner on our induction plate gets hotter than expected.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How do you like the cooking results? Does the lowest temp simmer or is it still pretty hot? Asking because with our remodel underway, we are cooking with toaster oven, microwave, outdoor grill, and a single burner induction hot plate. Granted, the hot plate isn’t a full Bosch range, but the low burner on our induction plate gets hotter than expected.
Lowest temp is too low actually. It definitely will simmer. I get impatient with how low the lower temps are. We’ve done more interesting cooking with it than we did before. It also gets hotter than a normal electric. It will sear the crap out of things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom