Season Tickets- Are people really donating on top of the ticket costs? | The Boneyard

Season Tickets- Are people really donating on top of the ticket costs?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So I was looking at buying season tickets as a “donation” to the program as I don’t live in the northeast but still wanted to support the program. I was looking at the prices for seats and noticed that some of the seats still require a fairly substantial annual donation in addition to the ticket prices (and all seats require additional fees like FIT).

My question is are people really paying donations of anywhere from $75 for preferred sideline to up to $900/seat for club level? I know the tickets themselves aren’t that expensive but I’m surprised the donation levels are as high as they are for certain seats. Now I see why people wait for the in-season promotional codes and/or just buy off a third party.

Side note- this feels like something that’s gonna have to change throughout the country in the future. It’s financially insane to donate (at some schools) thousands on top of the ticket prices. Maybe Alabama can do it in perpetuity but places are having a hard enough time getting butts in seats. Will be curious if this model holds going forward.

Reaction Score
We opted for seats that did not require a donation this year - our crew renewed 12 seats below that threshold but I did make a personal donation since the seat cost was so low

Drew

Reaction Score
We opted for seats that did not require a donation this year - our crew renewed 12 seats below that threshold but I did make a personal donation since the seat cost was so low
That’s the way to do it- I‘m happy to make a donation of even like $100 but $500 per seat for lower chairbacks plus the additional ticket fees when you can get them on game day via ticketmaster for like $20? That’s crazy to me

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how they can call it a "donation" but make it a requirement in order to buy those tickets. Donations are not supposed to be mandatory. Mandatory donations are taxes.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how they can call it a "donation" but make it a requirement in order to buy those tickets. Donations are not supposed to be mandatory. Mandatory donations are taxes.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe many schools do this because it adds to the total count of unique donations that they report to USNWR. So if you're not doing it, you're peers are and you lose national ranking.

Reaction Score
Depends. We get the top of the line basketball seats but for football we usually get the cheapest and donate more to the program.
We use to sit in 241 which had seat donations but got sick of them giving away tickets.

Reaction Score
Donations are 80% tax deductable.

Reaction Score
It was and still is called a donation and paid separately when you purchase season tickets. No matter what it is called it is still the cost of a better seat. The Tax Cuts & Jobs Act in 2018 took away the tax deduction which was an attraction for many. Many AD's were in a panic over this one including UConn's.

Now there are still perks with donation tickets, the already mentioned better or I should say an individuals preferred view of the game. Donations make one a member of The UConn Club which have several events a year. It also gets one blue lot parking, along with offers for free tickets to other sports games. Men's and women's basketball, hockey, baseball of which I have taken advantage of.
I hear your point of it being called a donation but it is simply the price to be paid, much like every new tax they come up with in CT being called a fee. ;) :(
Donations are 80% tax deductable.
No attack but no longer. There are dozens of links explaining the topic I'll just supply this one.
The College Athletic Seating Deduction is Out. Here’s What We Know (So Far)

Drew

Reaction Score
Thanks for the discussion. I’ve decided I’ll commit to season tickets when we have a new staff in place

Reaction Score
Thanks for the discussion. I’ve decided I’ll commit to season tickets when we have a new staff in place
TBH you would be better off just donating straight to football if you want to give back. If you don't live around here why buy tickets to not get used?

Drew

Reaction Score
TBH you would be better off just donating straight to football if you want to give back. If you don't live around here why buy tickets to not get used?
I’d buy ones with a donation attached and give the tickets to Husky Ticket Project or something

Reaction Score
Not any more. The law was changed a few years back. They are not tax deductable.
The cost of the tickets is not tax deductable. A donation is still 80% deductable. How is deductable spelled ?

Drew

Reaction Score
It’s interesting- I’m also a Wake Forest alumnus (MBA) and was looking into season tickets for the Deacs this fall- they did away with seat donation requirements when the tax laws changed in 2018. Now there is no donation tied to the tickets- their club seats are actually less expensive than UConn’s as a result.

Reaction Score
Once upon a time wanting to ensure I'd have access upon returning to the States, I bought season tickets and happily donated the latter the tickets to Big Brothers. At some point, I figured out one Big Brother was selling the tickets, all sorts of stuff happened to Big East football membership, Pasqualoni, Diaco ... plenty of available tickets. No regret, heart was in the right place and the 80% tax deduction was ok. Go UConn!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What I pay for all the season tickets, I donate enough
But in reality, UConn football tickets are embarrassingly minimal this season

Reaction Score
Happy to pay the seat donation on my 12 tickets. It's my primary donation to the UConn Foundation. It also ensures Blue Lot parking as I's getting too old to trudge the hike from Red Lot. Besides, this year it's discounted.

Drew

Reaction Score
Happy to pay the seat donation on my 12 tickets. It's my primary donation to the UConn Foundation. It also ensures Blue Lot parking as I's getting too old to trudge the hike from Red Lot. Besides, this year it's discounted.
the donations are discounted? What are they normally?

Reaction Score
the donations are discounted? What are they normally?
The seat donation for my seats in Section 103 previously was $ 100.00 per seat or $ 1,200.00 for 12 seats. This year I was only billed $ 900.00, so that's $ 75.00/seat.

Reaction Score
The real carrot is not the seat or location but the parking pass lot associated with the seat donations. That’s the state of our program at the moment.

Drew

Reaction Score
I wonder if there will be any additional benefits or changes to the future season ticket structure moving forward. Maybe not eliminating the donations themselves entirely but either reorganizing the amounts or adding benefits, etc. Would be cool if STX Holders got access to a final spring practice or something like that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom