Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and its roster is ‘not that talented’ | The Boneyard

Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and its roster is ‘not that talented’

Reaction Score
Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and roster is ‘not that talented’.

This is the kind of the thing I want to hear from Ollie. It seems like he try’s to hard to be a friend instead of a authority figure. Call these players out. I’m a big supporter but nothing is changing and I am tired of hearing the same quotes from him after every game. Hold the players accountable. If that means benching people and we have to suffer wins or losses so be it. This lack of effort has to change or it will become what we stand for.

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
They were supposed to be a top ranked team on our sched and now bounced out of the top 25. We play them, Cuse, WS, and Auburn before the year end and we’ll know by then what we have to look forward to.

Reaction Score
Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and roster is ‘not that talented’.

This is the kind of the thing I want to hear from Ollie. It seems like he try’s to hard to be a friend instead of a authority figure. Call these players out. I’m a big supporter but nothing is changing and I am tired of hearing the same quotes from him after every game. Hold the players accountable. If that means benching people and we have to suffer wins or losses so be it. This lack of effort has to change or it will become what we stand for.

The difference between the two is that the Arizona roster is loaded with lottery picks, including a kid who may go #1. Miller is insulting them and trying to light a fire under them. Ollie is trying to keep his team from totally imploding. Big difference.

Reaction Score
I find it so fascinating that all of the worst fans ever here want Ollie to literally treat his players like trash. As though that would help recruiting... I'm all for him calling them out when their effort is below where it needs to be, but to call them untalented wastes of a scholarship? The man is supposed to fight with and for his team, not throw them under the bus in every way he can.

Nevertheless, I look forward to another round of hilariously off-base threads after Saturday's game, win or lose.

"Did you see Ollie running around screaming on the side of the court today!?!?! Stop screaming and coach your players!!!!!!!"
/s

Reaction Score
Miller talks a lot about effort on defense and playing hard on that end of the floor. Saying they can lose 6 games in a row if that doesn't get corrected.

That's UConn's biggest issue right now no communication and not playing balls to the wall on defense. The whole team has been lackadaisical with close outs, defense pressure, hitting/ boxing out people and communicating on defense. It all comes down to effort and they've been pathetic on that end of the court. I can live with their offensive struggles as they figure things out but defensive struggles there no excuse for because it comes down to effort. That's on the players cause the coaches can only do so much to get them to give it their all on that end

Reaction Score

Sounds good in theory. But if he said that the yarders would say he was not taking responsibility and blaming the kids for his own problems. And losing?? Yeah. Not gonna fly.

Reaction Score
am i the only one who thinks this is pretty weak? granted, i didn't watch the whole press conference, but this is a perennial do-less-with-more coach (under fbi investigation!) who is blaming his players when he should probably be blaming himself.

Reaction Score
They were supposed to be a top ranked team on our sched and now bounced out of the top 25. We play them, Cuse, WS, and Auburn before the year end and we’ll know by then what we have to look forward to.
UConn cannot worry about RPI now, they should've lost to Columbia. Consider the 3 scenarios:

1) Ollie, the coaches, and the team somehow get their heads out of their behinds and make the Tournament, and yay, one more year in which we're semi-relevant. Ollie most likely keeps his job, even if they had to win the conference tournament to get into the big one.

2) The team does not make the Tourney, Ollie is fired. The search for a new coach begins if it had not already.

3) The team does not make the Tourney and Benedict does not fire Ollie. Ticket sales virtually stop and many people stop watching, including many once die hard fans. Uconn basketball is effectively finished.

Rest assured, one of these 3 things is going to happen.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Instead Ollie said after the game he didn’t care if they won by 1 point or 40 points. Well the fans do care coach because Columbia absolutely SUCKS and we should beat them by 40.

If that's the case then Nova sucks - only beat them by 14 and it was closer than that
Ollie and the do less with more Miller are in two different situations based on preseason expectations and roster make-up
They have to approach the situation at hand in two different approaches
Only a coach would really understand that
Homework before throwing SUCKS around

Reaction Score

I think Ollie and the other coaches need to be challenged first before they can challenge the players, because man, Ollie is sure acting and talking like he's above it.

Reaction Score
am i the only one who thinks this is pretty weak? granted, i didn't watch the whole press conference, but this is a perennial do-less-with-more coach (under fbi investigation!) who is blaming his players when he should probably be blaming himself.
Kind of, but these kids know who they're playing for. That's why I think the op is wrong, a coach pretending to be something he's not has to be a quick way to lose the confidence to his players. Can't be one guy recruiting then someone else when things go bad.

Reaction Score
If that's the case then Nova sucks - only beat them by 14 and it was closer than that
Ollie and the do less with more Miller are in two different situations based on preseason expectations and roster make-up

Homework? Doubt you watched the Nova game because they led from the jump and were up over 20 before Columbia hit some late shots with walk-ons in to make it closer than it actually was. And a team that’s 1-5 and barely top 200 in Kenpom does suck. We should have taken Columbia to the woodshed after the humiliation Arkansas put us through on Sunday, not be happy with an OT win against the worst team in the Ivy.

Reaction Score
Ollie has some serious issues but I do not understand this lie that he tries to be friends with his players. It is simply not true. He doesn't trash them in the media but from everything I've ever heard he is very tough on them and critical and has been since the beginning.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Ollie has some serious issues but I do not understand this lie that he tries to be friends with his players. It is simply not true. He doesn't trash them in the media but from everything I've ever heard he is very tough on them and critical and has been since the beginning.

You're wrong. These people attend the practices and hang out in the dining halls and know exactly what goes on while the rest of us just watch the games and press conferences.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Nah, I do disagree.

These are kids that need a wake up call. Effort, defense and cohesiveness is something he's trying to make them aware is NECESSARY to be successful.

His "not that talented" comment goes to "you guys know know you're talented, but you're playing like you're so talented you don't have to do any little things."

I'm not saying that's what KO or others should say, word for word, but there's a reason I like Miller: That's pretty close to what I'd be trying to drill in their heads too.

"You're talented as anyone, but not talented enough where we can all sleepwalk through this season and be good." He's 1000%.

Reaction Score
Nah, I do disagree.

These are kids that need a wake up call. Effort, defense and cohesiveness is something he's trying to make them aware is NECESSARY to be successful.

His "not that talented" comment goes to "you guys know know you're talented, but you're playing like you're so talented you don't have to do any little things."

I'm not saying that's what KO or others should say, word for word, but there's a reason I like Miller: That's pretty close to what I'd be trying to drill in their heads too.

"You're talented as anyone, but not talented enough where we can all sleepwalk through this season and be good." He's 1000%.

What if the team isn't talented and they are getting beat so badly because they aren't talented? Like I said, this works well for Ayton and Arizona. Not so much for Mamadou Diarra.

Reaction Score

This kind of comparison thinking cracks me up "Nova didn't beat them by a lot and Nova is good so why should we be concerned?". If UConn hadn't gone out west, gotten blown out after playing a great team close in the first half and then followed that up with getting taken to the woodshed - after a few other cupcake games prior to that where they struggled - then you can write off a poor performance against a bad team. What has this team shown you at all this year that makes you think we could compare this team, however obliquely, to Nova? Is Columbia probably better than their record and conference indicates? Sure. Is MSU a great team? Yes. But that doesn't mean that this year's UConn team isn't seriously, seriously flawed right now either.

Reaction Score
If KO made those comments there'd be 10 new threads within the hour criticizing him for it, saying if he wants more talent he needs to recruit/develop players better

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What if the team isn't talented and they are getting beat so badly because they aren't talented? Like I said, this works well for Ayton and Arizona. Not so much for Mamadou Diarra.

True, that's why I said not saying KO or anyone should say that, it's situation -dependent, but for what an outsider knows ab AZ, he's hitting on what would be my message to them as well.

Reaction Score
I’ll return the like

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom