Sea Robin fish filets? | The Boneyard

Sea Robin fish filets?

Reaction Score
I have been asked to keep Sea Robins this year for a chef friend that wants to experiment cooking methods with them. Normally I keep them for one of my dockside neighbors for his lobster pots or I may use one if I run out of bait. I have heard they are showing up in restaurants. Has anybody tried them?

Reaction Score
I’ve cooked sea robin tails. They have the same consistently of lobster tail/sea bass/monkfish. You can poach them (think garlic/wine sauce), filet them and dredge in seasoned flour and give them a quick fry or slice them and drop into a tomato broth like a bouillabaisse.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's a guy with a YT channel who regularly catches and cooks trash fish. Says they're good eating. Just cut out the bloodline.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How long have you been dying to use that reference?
Oh I already overused it years ago I'm sure:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Tradition is an integral part of the boneyard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tradition is an integral part of the boneyard.
Ever since they did Fiddler on the Roof at our local high school I can't hear that word without immediately thinking of this:

Fiddler On The Roof Broadway GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
They are commonly used in the French dish bouillabaisse.
tasty and boney. butter basted, salt, and pepper over an open fire is my preference, but pan fried is right fine, too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Those don't count. Not seafood.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I have been asked to keep Sea Robins this year for a chef friend that wants to experiment cooking methods with them. Normally I keep them for one of my dockside neighbors for his lobster pots or I may use one if I run out of bait. I have heard they are showing up in restaurants. Has anybody tried them?
I can’t I just can’t. Even the lobsters don’t like them. :)

Used to catch a million fishing blacks, flounder and porgy. Hell I have more use for the million skates I pull up. ( excellent on water frisbees / skimming stones)

Reaction Score
I can’t I just can’t. Even the lobsters don’t like them. :)

Used to catch a million fishing blacks, flounder and porgy. Hell I have more use for the million skates I pull up. ( excellent on water frisbees / skimming stones)
Boy I haven't fished for flounder in long time. Nowadays only a limit of two. Always picked up Cunners fishing for flats with sand worms. FYI, the commercial guys are now allowed to take much larger limits on Seabass.They weren't taking all that much but now it will be more in line with neighboring states. Among other reasons they have become too large of a predator population. Also circle hooks only for stripers when using a baited line. Easier on the fish and fishermen when removed?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Roast over an open fire with pimento sticks. Will char like hell but very crispy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think I finally figured this thread out. Sea Robin isn't a brand like Gorton's, it's the actual name of a fish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom