SDSU & SMU to Pac-12?? | The Boneyard

SDSU & SMU to Pac-12??

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It seems SDSU & SMU going to the Pac-12 has been a done deal for about a month. No announcement yet. The conference is trying to do a TV contract at the same time. Any thoughts about this?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no idea if this will happen or not, but what are you basing your certainty on?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I have no idea if this will happen or not, but what are you basing your certainty on?
If you Google “SDSU SMU PAC 12” there are many articles that seem credible. An announcement was expected already, but it may be held up until the Pac 12 gets a decent TV deal. If they don’t get a good deal, it may all fall through. I don’t follow realignment that close. Maybe others here know more. If this did happen, I don’t see how it affects UConn, other than confirming leaving the AAC was a good idea.

Reaction Score
It definitely isn't certain. That was the rumors months ago with the assumption they'd have a TV deal by now. They still don't. Nine months after beginning negotiations they still don't have a TV deal. Those schools aren't going to join the conference unless the future is secured -- they have a TV deal and a promise schools are sticking around. If the Pac-12 doesn't get a deal or gets a very underwhelming deal, schools are going to move to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
It seems SDSU & SMU going to the Pac-12 has been a done deal for about a month. No announcement yet. The conference is trying to do a TV contract at the same time. Any thoughts about this?
Type SDSU & SMU in the search function for this forum @ upper right. Has been discussed in multiple threads.

Reaction Score

There is push back to SMU especially from the Arizona schools.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a good match!!

Reaction Score

Shortcut if needed

-> Why the delay? One of those very same presidents has offered crucial insight. “I think it’s just the environment,” Washington State’s Kirk Schulz said this week. “It’s the uncertainty in the economy, the layoffs in the tech sector and other places. “I know at least one of the partners we were talking to said, ‘We’re ready to sign today, but the optics of us announcing that we’re laying off X number of people and we signed a multimillion-dollar deal with the Pac-12 are just not the best, so we’re going to have to wait six weeks.’ “Clearly, the optics are something those folks are really worried about.” <_

-> “If you said when would be the worst time in the last six years to try and negotiate a media deal,” Schulz told Cerna, “probably the last five months is pretty close to the worst.” The delay caused by economic factors underscores the role timing plays in media rights negotiations. <-

Reaction Score
The three biggest issues:

1. The PAC got leap-frogged by Yormak and the Big12 so there's no appetite nor linear network timeslots for PAC content.
2. PAC football content is not popular with viewers - within its own footprint and certainly east of it - to warrant a deal that makes PAC leadership happy. (And their expectations are too high/they overvalue(d) themselves).
3. The GOR is something at least half of the PAC schools do not want to enter.

They're basically between a rock and a hard place. Seems like they're going to have egg on their face (less money and or exposure) or they will see exits occurring that will threaten their existence and/or make them stoop down to let in schools they've felt are beneath them to replace their losses.

Some experts believe the PAC lost 30-40% of its tv value by losing USC & UCLA. Hard to overcome that for sure.

Reaction Score

-> San Diego State must give notice to Mountain West by June 30 if it wants to play elsewhere in 2024-25 or the exit fee doubles to an estimated $34 million <-

-> Departure — or “resignation” in the Mountain West bylaws — before the current media rights deal expires comes with a financial penalty because, presumably, its television partners could invalidate the contract and renegotiate for less money without its highest profile member. Give a one-year notice by June 30, and the exit fee is triple the most recent average annual payout per school — estimated between $5 million and $6 million this year, or roughly $17 million total.

Leave after that for 2024-25, and the exit fee doubles to $34 million.

“We can’t pay the (extra) amount,” Wicker said of missing the June 30 deadline. “Everyone is aware of that, so we’re continuing to have conversations about that.” <-

Reaction Score
Might be Nickelodeon time for the PAC. I guess Bobby was a man too early for his time..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Might be Nickelodeon time for the PAC. I guess Bobby was a man too early for his time..

1685542913345.png

"I got a million ideas. Only some of them are crazy. The rest are just stupid."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom