SDSU-Big East talks turn serious | The Boneyard

SDSU-Big East talks turn serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

San Diego State has entered discussions with the Big East Conference about joining that league’s proposed western division, a source with knowledge of the situation said.

The talks became more serious after negotiations broke down between the Big East and Brigham Young, which also had considered joining the league as a football-only member.

http://m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/26/sdsu-big-east-talks-turn-serious/

After watching men's bb and fb, time to turn our attention to the important stuff (although soccer plays tomorrow).

SDSU has been a mediocre football program possessed with inadequate facilities, no money, but an incredible location, double entendre intended.

Reaction Score
I admittedly follow these things only loosely, but I can't imagine SDSU would bring more to the table than a school like Temple. Or even Eastern Carolina or Memphis, neither of which I care for.

Can't wait till UConn gets it's ACC bid...

Reaction Score
I admittedly follow these things only loosely, but I can't imagine SDSU would bring more to the table than a school like Temple. Or even Eastern Carolina or Memphis, neither of which I care for.

Can't wait till UConn gets it's ACC bid...

Reaction Score
Agree on the Nevada schools. May not mean much to some but take a look at the doctorate programs of say UNLV
vs SDSU. California is slashing their higher education budget at every turn in the road. Very dicey.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't get this at all, why are we in discussions with them again? Is it solely based on the premise Boise State won't come unless they get a Western partner? San Diego State Football sucks, what am I missing here?

Reaction Score
I don't get this at all, why are we in discussions with them again? Is it solely based on the premise Boise State won't come unless they get a Western partner? San Diego State Football sucks, what am I missing here?

I dont get why we need to so desperately get to 12 teams. Just stop at 9 and get 8 conference games and schedule some tough OOC opponents. Stopping at 9 also keeps the quality of the conference strong (no dead weight)

UConn, RU, UL, UC, USF, UCF, UH, SMU, BSU

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I dont get why we need to so desperately get to 12 teams. Just stop at 9 and get 8 conference games and schedule some tough OOC opponents. Stopping at 9 also keeps the quality of the conference strong (no dead weight)

UConn, RU, UL, UC, USF, UCF, UH, SMU, BSU

Agree with this. Going past those 9 teams will just further dilute the football being played and most likely dilute the per team payout come the new TV contract. I just don't see how SDSU helps the Big East at all. In addition, I know geographic sense has gone out the window, and I guess I'm ok with 'outliers' like a Boise State, but San Diego State in the Big East? Come the on.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is stupidity. It does appear as if the conference's leadership believes that if they cannot build an entire western division there is no need to expand. I personally do not see why the invitations to at least Houston, SMU and UCF haven't been issued yet. At that point Boise as a football only and whoever else can be given a 'take it or leave it' offer.

We'll be in a far better position to get the additional members if we can tell them up front that we have already rebuilt the conference and can move on without them.

Reaction Score
The days of Marshall Falk are long gone. The only good thing that SDSU brings to the table beside its location is the abundance of comely coeds as many of the girlfriends of service personnel are taking classes in their spare time.

Reaction Score
Boise and San Diego State bring much more to the table than Memphis and Temple. I don't understand why people are now knocking a Western division. We need to build a conference that will garner a respectable television deal. You don't think being in California will be good for the league's television deal? San Diego is just the eighth largest city in the country.

I think many on this board still have turkey coma.

Reaction Score
We need 12 teams because more programs may be poached. Having 8-9 teams just creates more stress.

Reaction Score
We need 12 teams because more programs may be poached. Having 8-9 teams just creates more stress.
We need a western component to the league. Boise needs some western schools to travel to. I would take this thing all the way to 16.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Boise and San Diego State bring much more to the table than Memphis and Temple. I don't understand why people are now knocking a Western division. We need to build a conference that will garner a respectable television deal. You don't think being in California will be good for the league's television deal? San Diego is just the eighth largest city in the country.

I think many on this board still have turkey coma.

But Nevada or UNLV would immediately become the #1 school in a fast growing state if they joined the Big East. SDSU is always going to be SDSU.

Reaction Score
, at this point let's just declare that this is a feeder league into the other BCS leagues. Go to 12 teams, and officially name "teams in waiting" out of CUSA and the MWC so when the next team(s) jump to the ACC, B12, B10 or NFC East (Rutgers), we already know where their replacement is coming from. Removes the mystery, removes the back and forth nonsense. Then the MWC and CUSA can have "teams in waiting" in the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, or FCS.

(no, I'm not being serious, but this is what it's turning into).

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
, at this point let's just declare that this is a feeder league into the other BCS leagues. Go to 12 teams, and officially name "teams in waiting" out of CUSA and the MWC so when the next team(s) jump to the ACC, B12, B10 or NFC East (Rutgers), we already know where their replacement is coming from. Removes the mystery, removes the back and forth nonsense. Then the MWC and CUSA can have "teams in waiting" in the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, or FCS.

(no, I'm not being serious, but this is what it's turning into).

That's been the story for some time. Look at the coaches. The BE is the minor league path to the big leagues. Some work out (Petrino) others don't (Rich Rod).

Reaction Score
But Nevada or UNLV would immediately become the #1 school in a fast growing state if they joined the Big East. SDSU is always going to be SDSU.

I'd love to see a Nevada school added in addition to San Diego State. The league should go to 14 now that way when we lose two we don't have to go into panic mode again.

I think San Diego State has a very good upside due to their location. How hard can it be to recruit college kids to San Diego? There is no reason why they can't be a top 25 program.

Reaction Score

San Diego State has entered discussions with the Big East Conference about joining that league’s proposed western division, a source with knowledge of the situation said.

The talks became more serious after negotiations broke down between the Big East and Brigham Young, which also had considered joining the league as a football-only member.

http://m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/26/sdsu-big-east-talks-turn-serious/

After watching men's bb and fb, time to turn our attention to the important stuff (although soccer plays tomorrow).

SDSU has been a mediocre football program possessed with inadequate facilities, no money, but an incredible location, double entendre intended.
San Diego State was a DII-III champion for a few years in the mid-60s. When I lived in San Diego in the mid-late 70s, they played at the Chargers stadium to full houses. They can easily do that again.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
San Diego State is a sleeping giant just waiting for the spark they'd get by joining a marginal conference based 3,000 miles away.

It's 4 am and it's last call - we're just looking to find anything to go home with.

I'll take San Diego State (nice weather, lovely fish tacos), BYU (give them whatever they want, I like to mountain bike in Utah), SMU (their athletic department has an iPhone app! Cool!)....how many more do we need? I forget.

Let's get someone from New Orleans. That saints marching song is catchy.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally have no problem with adding SDSU as a football only (and I do remember the mid-late 1970's when they always had decent teams and sent quite a few players, most notably DB's to the NFL). I do however have serious concerns with the approach the conference is taking which is delaying invitations until after they have the entire puzzle solved. If we cannot solve the entire puzzle soon, we may end up with nothing.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I personally have no problem with adding SDSU as a football only (and I do remember the mid-late 1970's when they always had decent teams and sent quite a few players, most notably DB's to the NFL). I do however have serious concerns with the approach the conference is taking which is delaying invitations until after they have the entire puzzle solved. If we cannot solve the entire puzzle soon, we may end up with nothing.

Something tells me that Boise is driving the bus on this western division expansion. Air Force and BYU decline initially, move on to the next best well known name not currently in a BCS conference. I also think we should bring in UCF, Houston and SMU already. This conference is going to need teams just to have a conference real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom