SCSU Scrimmage - November 2nd | The Boneyard

SCSU Scrimmage - November 2nd

Reaction Score
UConn, Southern Connecticut State will play in an exhibition game on Nov. 2

>>For the second time since Scott Burrell took over as Southern Connecticut’s head coach, UConn and SCSU will play in an exhibition game this season.

The teams will play on Friday, Nov. 2, most likely at Gampel Pavilion, according to sources. It will be UConn’s only exhibition open to the public. The Huskies will also play a closed-door exhibition against an undisclosed opponent.<<

Reaction Score
Hurley was a fan of these closed-door-vs-D1 scrimmages at URI. The last few years were against Harvard, so hopefully he has brought that relationship with him as that would be a great pre-season test.

Reaction Score
There really is no reason to play 2 public exhibitions. Waste of money from both season ticket holders and UConn. The most they get from these games are 5,000 fans.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I thought I remember hearing that they were going to try to do another televised exhibition with Providence, for charity?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No reason at all not to play Providence again this year. Cooley wants it and it did draw fans. Closed preseason games are BS when they have an opportunity to play a quality team for a good cause that is a regional match-up. If UConn doesn't have the desire to play PC then play Harvard for a preseason with a charity mission.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
No reason at all not to play Providence again this year. Cooley wants it and it did draw fans. Closed preseason games are BS when they have an opportunity to play a quality team for a good cause that is a regional match-up. If UConn doesn't have the desire to play PC then play Harvard for a preseason with a charity mission.

They can’t do that anymore. It was a one year exemption.

Reaction Score
Right, last year a bunch of teams played in exhibitions to raise money for hurricane relief. The closed “secret scrimmages” do serve a purpose for teams. They let coaches set up specific game situations and allow for stoppages for specific instruction. URI has also played St. John’s in a “secret scrimmage” under Hurley. I expect we’ll see UConn-PC for real very soon.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Coach Cooley had a BBQ for big donors at his house this summer. One of my friends who lives in providence and is a big PC donor was there. He said Cooley talked about there being discussions with UConn about a 5 year/5 game series. Home and Home, then a Game at Mohegan, followed by another Home and Home. This was a few weeks back when he told me this and haven’t heard anything official. But it’s worth noting that it seems these talks are in the works.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Coach Cooley had a BBQ for big donors at his house this summer. One of my friends who lives in providence and is a big PC donor was there. He said Cooley talked about there being discussions with UConn about a 5 year/5 game series. Home and Home, then a Game at Mohegan, followed by another Home and Home. This was a few weeks back when he told me this and haven’t heard anything official. But it’s worth noting that it seems these talks are in the works.
I feel bad for anyone throwing large sums of money in that fire. Talk about no return on investment.

Reaction Score
There really is no reason to play 2 public exhibitions. Waste of money from both season ticket holders and UConn. The most they get from these games are 5,000 fans.

Not long ago there were more fans at those games. I'll never forget the first exhibition with players like Allen, Hamilton, Marshall(s), and most of all............El-Amin. He was great from the get go.

Reaction Score

It would be good to play preseason scrimmages around the state instead of Gampel or the Hartford Civic Center. Make it easy for some folks who have never been to a game to sample the Huskies. Hold one at Webster or even a high school like Staples or New Britain or Wilbur Cross. Hold it at Middletown and have Andre Drummond throw up the jump ball. Charge five bucks to get in. Create excitement and new fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom