Scouting Creighton | The Boneyard

Scouting Creighton

Reaction Score
Creighton 12-7 overall, 4-4 conference, KenPom rank #69 (nice)

Schedule summary:

• Lost four of last six (Nova, Xavier 2x, Butler), wins over St. John’s and DePaul
  • Best Big East win: 79-59 over Villanova
  • Best OOC win: 83-71 over BYU
  • Worst loss: 55-72 against Butler, one point loss over Arizona State. Outside of these two games, they beat who they "should have".
  • OOC schedule: 190th in difficulty: wins over BYU, Southern Illinois, North Dakota State, Brown, Nebraska…losses to Colorado State, Iowa State and Arizona State
Roster Report
  • Only 13.6% of minutes from last year returned this year. Amongst their eight healthy rotation players, only Kalkbrenner and O’Connell played at Creighton last season
  • They have the size to match ours. ½ of the time they play four players 6’6 and taller. Average roster height is 6’6, which is 52nd in the nation
  • Shereef Mitchell 6’0 170 JR, 16.5 mpg -Out since 12/4 (undisclosed)
  • McDermott has settled into a steady eight-man rotation:
1643548432073.png

Offense: 93th in KenPom efficiency
  • Four players average between 11.8-12.8 ppg
  • Only 37.4% of their shots are from three (189th) and their 3p% is 30.5% (299th). This differs greatly from what we are used to at Creighton and also shows McDermott’s willingness to adjust to his roster. O’Connell and Hawkins are their only players who average 30%+ from three.
  • Led by Kalkbrenner, they are 29th in 2p% (29th).
  • Their offensive rebounding rate is 123rd.
  • A whopping 21.5% of their offensive possessions result in turnovers (326th worst prevention rate). Five of their eight rotation players have a A/TO ratio less than 1, the worst being Kaluma (1.2:2.8 or 0.42). Let’s get those transition buckets!
  • They don’t get to the line well (289th in FTA/FGA rate).
  • Outside of Nembhard, no player averages more than 1.7 a/gm.

Defense: 44th in KenPom Efficiency
  • 6th in the nation at preventing teams from getting to the line.
  • 10th in opponent 2p% (42.8%).
  • Their strongest defenders are their bigs and forwards.
    • Kalkbrenner is the rim protector (3.1 blocks/game).
    • Hawkins was a 2x MIAA DPOY before transferring to Creighton. He’s not much of a rim protector (even in D2, he averaged about 0.5 blocks/game), but he’s a physical, hard-nosed defender who wears down opponents as the game goes on.
    • Kaluma does a bit of everything. Strong base, athletic, smart, long, high motor. One of those guys who can guard a wide range of players and could be an NBA player if he improves his shooting.
  • Not good at perimeter D (33.5 3p% is 175th in nation).
  • Not good at defensive rebounding (179th nationally). UConn’s offensive rebounding rate (2nd in nation) is 10.5% better than Creighton’s defensive rebounding rate…maybe a missed shot good offensive strategy?
  • They don’t cause turnovers (310th turnover rate)
  • My summary: since they aren’t good at perimeter D and UConn’s offensive rebounding rate is far superior to Creighton’s defensive rebounding rate, is this a game we let it fly from deep and then let our glass cleaners keep the possessions alive? Could it be a big game for Polley?
If we play our game, we win. If we play like we did against DePaul, then we won't win.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The next three games will let us know who we are. It’ll be interesting to see if the euphoria after beating Butler and LIU is legitimate or not.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They also seem to be very hot or cold. They blew out Nova in Omaha, then lost the return game by 34. They looked like world beaters against Xavier in the first half yesterday, then got outscored 29-2 to start the 2nd half. Weird team.

Reaction Score
The game @ Creighton this year will be my first time ever getting to see UConn in person as I live in Nebraska and couldn’t make it last year. I’m so excited, and since creighton is the devil we really need to play well.
Please elaborate on your “devil” comment. I’m very intrigued in what you think as a Nebraskan.

Reaction Score
Please elaborate on your “devil” comment. I’m very intrigued in what you think as a Nebraskan.

Creighton is the worst. They beat Nebraska most years, offered Brian Bowen $100,000 to go there and didn't see any consequences, and everyone associated with them are pricks.

Reaction Score
It's funny, I've actually watched a decent amount of Creighton this year and I was just operating under the assumption that they were a good three-point shooting team this whole time. Must have been based on past team's reputations, I guess. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sanogo vs. Kalkbrenner will be an interesting matchup. Hoping Sanogo can bully him like he did Kessler. Cole should be able to disrupt Nembhard quite a bit. Tough to be a freshman PG on the road against a top tier opponent. Definitely looking forward to seeing Jackson in transition off some Creighton turnovers.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
An example of how hot and cold Nembhard has been over the last five games:

1/15 and 1/29 vs Xavier: 41 points, 17-40 from the field.

1/19-1/26 vs St. John's, DePaul and Butler, 14 points, 7-30 from the field.

Reaction Score
Things from the preview I didn't know and mostly wouldn't have guessed:

The only schools that UConn has played three times or more in its series history without a victory are Creighton, Kansas, Niagara and Stevens. The Huskies are 0-3 against all three programs.

The only teams to beat UConn each of its first four meetings have been Duke, Fordham, UMass, New Hampshire, New York University, Purdue, SMU, Syracuse, Worcester Polytechnic, and Yale.

Reaction Score
Things from the preview I didn't know and mostly wouldn't have guessed:

The only schools that UConn has played three times or more in its series history without a victory are Creighton, Kansas, Niagara and Stevens. The Huskies are 0-3 against all three programs.

The only teams to beat UConn each of its first four meetings have been Duke, Fordham, UMass, New Hampshire, New York University, Purdue, SMU, Syracuse, Worcester Polytechnic, and Yale.
Bring on Greg Paulus and Niagara!!!!

@Letsgohuskies11 is the only person I know who’s seen a Niagara home game.

Reaction Score
So they don't hit 3's, don't shoot a lot of free throws, turn the ball over a lot, but make a lot of 2's?

That actually sounds like a good matchup for us with our rim protection, as long as we can keep guys in front.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So they don't hit 3's, don't shoot a lot of free throws, turn the ball over a lot, but make a lot of 2's?

That actually sounds like a good matchup for us with our rim protection, as long as we can keep guys in front.
Yep, the question is can we bother kalkbrenner more than he bothers Adama? If he can body adama 1 vs. 1 they wont have to cheat down or help to open up the rest of our offense.

Best case Adama's footwork and post play get kalkbrenner in foul trouble early and out of the equation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great summary as always @Hey Adrien! Board has been hashing out too much nonsense lately. Looks like it's a challenge for Sanogo and Whaley on D (might we see Johnson?). Need to make sure Sanogo doesn't get frustrated again and take bad shots.
Looks like our shooters need to be out of their one game funk and knock down what may be some open looks. Looks like an opportunity to get some turnovers and defensive rebounds and get out in transition. I want to make Kalkbrenner run.

Reaction Score
I like the Kaluma/Whaley match-up for us. He isn't a three point threat and isn't much of an offensive rebounder, so Whaley should be able to help off quite a bit on defense. Meanwhile, he averages 2.8 turnovers per game (more than anyone on our team for context) in just 24 minutes. Would expect Whaley to turn up the pressure quite a bit.

Going to be really tough for these Creighton freshman (Nembhard, Kaluma) to go against tough fifth-year guys on the road in the midst of a three game losing streak. Gotta punish 'em.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner will probably bother Adama (unless he summons the Kessler game energy). But we'll probably kill them on the boards enough to overcome it.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner will probably bother Adama (unless he summons the Kessler game energy). But we'll probably kill them on the boards enough to overcome it.

I love these big to big matchups. There's only so many talented bigs in our conference. The more of these matchups Adama can dominate, the better chance he has of pushing for first team

Reaction Score
I love these big to big matchups. There's only so many talented bigs in our conference. The more of these matchups Adama can dominate, the better chance he has of pushing for first team
For sure! Hate that he missed what appears to be the only game against Nate Watson. Would have been fun to watch.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom