OT: Scotch thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
May crack this bad boy tonight.

1671038657356.png

Reaction Score
I find the standard GL12 to be very basic and boring. Not so with this one. Much higher ABV ( 48 ) not filtered and if there is color added its not much. Way more fruit on the palate, honey, apples, pears, barley sugar, raisins, just a lot going on. And in my market they are basically the same cost. No brainer if you spot it and are a Speyside fan.

1671039655233.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I find the standard GL12 to be very basic and boring. Not so with this one. Much higher ABV ( 48 ) not filtered and if there is color added its not much. Way more fruit on the palate, honey, apples, pears, barley sugar, raisins, just a lot going on. And in my market they are basically the same cost. No brainer if you spot it and are a Speyside fan.

View attachment 81910
Saw that over the weekend. I think it was more expensive, maybe $60? Agree on the regular 12, it's dull. Strangely I can still get Glenlivet Enigma for $65. I don't know why. I should probably grab another.

Reaction Score
Saw that over the weekend. I think it was more expensive, maybe $60? Agree on the regular 12, it's dull. Strangely I can still get Glenlivet Enigma for $65. I don't know why. I should probably grab another.

Where I am ( NC ) they are both basically $55. Although I did have to grab the Illicit still in SC as we dont carry much beyond the very basics here.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

View attachment 81910
Hadn't seen this version. Agree on the 12, the 18 is tasty though (gift from a friend).

Reaction Score
Hadn't seen this version. Agree on the 12, the 18 is tasty though (gift from a friend).

I have only had the regular 12, this one and the one that actually started me on single malts, the 15. Its funny, I find the 15 lacks something now that I have tasted so many others. Its still OK but just OK. I would love to try the 18 as well. Have to find a bar around here with it though. I have too many damn bottles as it is lol.

Reaction Score
May crack this bad boy tonight.

View attachment 81909

This was interesting but needs time to open up. Very rich and syrupy palate, and the proof does not show up at all, that could be an issue lol. Its a little grumpy though so I will come back to it in a while and see. I had this same issue with their standard 15 and after 3 months of a little head space its nectar.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This was interesting but needs time to open up. Very rich and syrupy palate, and the proof does not show up at all, that could be an issue lol. Its a little grumpy though so I will come back to it in a while and see. I had this same issue with their standard 15 and after 3 months of a little head space its nectar.
It's got a bruising proof, and probably a wet sherry cask by the color. I'd expect what you found. Should calm down and be tremendous. You're not going to get smooth, but you weren't expecting that anyway. ;)

Reaction Score
It's got a bruising proof, and probably a wet sherry cask by the color. I'd expect what you found. Should calm down and be tremendous. You're not going to get smooth, but you weren't expecting that anyway. ;)

I HATE that word lol. Folks come in the store and ask if its " sMoOtH " and I am always like, its whiskey dude, aint no smooth here. lol.

Reaction Score
Burns Night. What is everyone pouring this evening? I will post mine shortly!

Reaction Score
I opened mine. I like it but it's not quite a first fill sherry bomb.

Fair. I have another one from them that is far darker and much more sherried. I think these vary honestly. This particular one is less sherry than the US one I have, at least from what I recall lol. Its been min since I dipped into my US bottle. Did you like the profile?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fair. I have another one from them that is far darker and much more sherried. I think these vary honestly. This particular one is less sherry than the US one I have, at least from what I recall lol. Its been min since I dipped into my US bottle. Did you like the profile?
It’s nice. It’s just missing something that the best bottles have. My sherry cask Edradour independent bottles or even Tamdhu cask strength. But the price is fair and it isn’t a faded copy like so many. Glendronach has really fallen off.

Reaction Score
Freebee from the bosses at the liquor store for helping stock some better singles. Never tasted anything from this distiller.

20230206_192123.jpg

Reaction Score
Looks great. I had a really nice IB from them, but never an OB. how is it?

Very tasty. A nice fresh fruit basket of pear, apple, some grapes, honey. And not over proofy even at 60%.

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried M&H Whisky from Israel? My local package store owner has been saying good things about it, so I took a $50 flyer on the Classic and was pleasantly surprised. I read some reviews that were mixed, but I really enjoyed it. Aged 3 years in ex-Bourbon and red wine STR barrels, but due to the climate of Tel Aviv, it ages at a faster rate and has a much higher Angel's Share. It resembles a Speyside more than any other region which is why I was surprised that I liked it. Very little peat, if any. Silky finish from the red wine barrels that wasn't as short as one reviewer stated. Never heard of STR before. Stands for "shaved, toasted and re-charred". I am definitely going to try some of their other expressions. Bottled at 46%.

Attachments

• MH-classic-with-box_store-1.png
    MH-classic-with-box_store-1.png
    522.5 KB · Views: 93

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried M&H Whisky from Israel? My local package store owner has been saying good things about it, so I took a $50 flyer on the Classic and was pleasantly surprised. I read some reviews that were mixed, but I really enjoyed it. Aged 3 years in ex-Bourbon and red wine STR barrels, but due to the climate of Tel Aviv, it ages at a faster rate and has a much higher Angel's Share. It resembles a Speyside more than any other region which is why I was surprised that I liked it. Very little peat, if any. Silky finish from the red wine barrels that wasn't as short as one reviewer stated. Never heard of STR before. Stands for "shaved, toasted and re-charred". I am definitely going to try some of their other expressions. Bottled at 46%.
I have not, an Israeli guy on the Aficianados Discord hasn't said much good about Israeli whiskey. I wonder if it would be at all like Indian Whiskey with the warm climate aging. But then Balcones isn't, so it must be more than that. I like the idea of taking a flyer on things like this.

Reaction Score

Big let down. Older batches may have been better from reviews I see around but this one drinks REALLY young and hot. It got hotter when I added water oddly enough. You can taste the classic Glenfarclas notes in there but its tough to find.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom