OT: Scotch thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
Hasn't arrived yet, no. They won't ship to Massachusetts. So I have my orders sent to a friend in RI.

Such stupid laws. I will have to reread his write up on this one. Saw the overflow was going to be emailed today.

Reaction Score
Fantastic dram to enjoy after a cataract procedure. I asked the Doc if I could have whisky that night and he said to have two, I earned it lol.

1656508908009.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Such stupid laws. I will have to reread his write up on this one. Saw the overflow was going to be emailed today.
And they required signature and my friends were not home, so it was sent back. What a mess.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was at PA Libations yesterday to finish putting together my "Taste of Pittsburgh" gift for my nephew - neat store, pretty much everything that's distilled in PA - and the counter guy mentioned this. I tried to quickly google a review, but only one I saw was a long video, so decided to plunk down $30 and give it a whirl based on the counter guy's recommendation.

Watched the video later when I got home. They hated it. I didn't think it could that bad, and it wasn't.

It's mildly peated whisky (guess they added the 'e' as it was bottled in PA) distilled in and imported from Scotland (guessing Campbelltown, but not sure), then blended with what was probably some corn mash whiskey, and bottled in Philly. So technically still a "blended Scotch". Not much character, but I didn't get the metallic off-flavors the reviewers did. It is a bit viscous. Some alcohol bite. Opens up a little with water. Butterscotch (kinda bourbon-y), vanilla, toffee, mild smoke. Not in my wheelhouse, doubt any of you would like it much either, but I think it would be a useful "intro" bottle to Scotch for a neophyte, especially at $30. That said, it's not as good as the equally inexpensive Loch Lomond, and one can only buy it at PA Libations, so this won't be a repeat purchase. I'll be using it for blending.

Screenshot 2022-06-29 10.10.49.png

Reaction Score
I went with a friend to his brother-in-law's and sister's house where they have a 250+ bottle collection. I was asked what I like and said, "I lean towards peat." So the brother-in-law gave me a hefty glass of Longrow 18. Freaking amazing. Didn't realize it was a $400 bottle!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I went with a friend to his brother-in-law's and sister's house where they have a 250+ bottle collection. I was asked what I like and said, "I lean towards peat." So the brother-in-law gave me a hefty glass of Longrow 18. Freaking amazing. Didn't realize it was a $400 bottle!
Longrow is tremendous stuff. I cherish my Longrow Red bottle, impossible to get now.

Reaction Score
Longrow is tremendous stuff. I cherish my Longrow Red bottle, impossible to get now.

We have a red wine finished one at work. Bit pricey but its a some what rare one, I think only 10K total world wide.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We have a red wine finished one at work. Bit pricey but its a some what rare one, I think only 10K total world wide.
The whole Springbank line, other than Springbank 10, is now super scarce. I used to see Longrow Red sitting on shelves. Bought several Springbank 15s and Greens, and Hazelburn, Kilkerran. Now all of it is treated like Pappy is in the bourbon world. You just can't find them in most stores. Julio's liquors has a huge whiskey following (Loch & Key if you've heard of that) and just put the whole line in their "hold card" lineup for people to bid on. It's wild, and sad for me. I was tempted to drive up and put in my hold cards.

Reaction Score
The whole Springbank line, other than Springbank 10, is now super scarce. I used to see Longrow Red sitting on shelves. Bought several Springbank 15s and Greens, and Hazelburn, Kilkerran. Now all of it is treated like Pappy is in the bourbon world. You just can't find them in most stores. Julio's liquors has a huge whiskey following (Loch & Key if you've heard of that) and just put the whole line in their "hold card" lineup for people to bid on. It's wild, and sad for me. I was tempted to drive up and put in my hold cards.

A store near the place I work has the 15 AND 18, they are $240 and $260. Its stupid. Another place has a few bottles of 10 at $100 so not terrible.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stopped by Caraluzzi's when I was up in Danbury to get some tequila for my brother, whom I introduced to Palomas this weekend. While there, figured I'd browse the scotch aisle. Nothing really jumped out at me, but the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair looked like it was worth a flyer at the price. Just opened it. It's, um... interesting.

While I was aware Bunnahabhain doesn't do peaty, and this was a younger version of the 12, I still wasn't expecting what I got hit with. After a couple sips, I went to look at reviews, and while most of the notes mentioned were there, there was something I was experiencing that none of the reviewers mentioned - on the nose and even in my first couple of sips I got a significant note of hard Italian cheese rind, like parmigiana or romano. It wasn't off putting, but I was surprised at that note from an Islay scotch. It also has some of the burnt microwave popcorn "butter" flavor I dislike in Laphroiag 10 (but without the heavy iodine). I don't know if that's what reviewers mean when they say "nutty", but I find those flavors distinctly different than nut butters. Anyway, it's got its place in my small but growing collection, but definitely not an everyday sipper and definitely benefits from a couple drops of H2O.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 21.15.23.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stopped by Caraluzzi's when I was up in Danbury to get some tequila for my brother, whom I introduced to Palomas this weekend. While there, figured I'd browse the scotch aisle. Nothing really jumped out at me, but the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair looked like it was worth a flyer at the price. Just opened it. It's, um... interesting.

While I was aware Bunnahabhain doesn't do peaty, and this was a younger version of the 12, I still wasn't expecting what I got hit with. After a couple sips, I went to look at reviews, and while most of the notes mentioned were there, there was something I was experiencing that none of the reviewers mentioned - on the nose and even in my first couple of sips I got a significant note of hard Italian cheese rind, like parmigiana or romano. It wasn't off putting, but I was surprised at that note from an Islay scotch. It also has some of the burnt microwave popcorn "butter" flavor I dislike in Laphroiag 10 (but without the heavy iodine). I don't know if that's what reviewers mean when they say "nutty", but I find those flavors distinctly different than nut butters. Anyway, it's got its place in my small but growing collection, but definitely not an everyday sipper and definitely benefits from a couple drops of H2O.

View attachment 77380

Bannahabhain is well known for a lactic quality. So the cheese and butter notes make sense. You're not imagining it. They do have peated versions, but not many. I think it really needs to be in a sherry cask to make that lactic spirit work properly. Dry sherry is very nutty and sweet sherry is more fruity, either one marries to their malt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Anecdotal note: prices are climbing. We might have hoped to see some impact from the tariff elimination, but it seems whatever cost increases exist have wiped that out. Or perhaps demand is just up. I don't really know. Since it lasts forever in a dark place, buy what you like when you see it at a decent price.

Reaction Score
Anecdotal note: prices are climbing. We might have hoped to see some impact from the tariff elimination, but it seems whatever cost increases exist have wiped that out. Or perhaps demand is just up. I don't really know. Since it lasts forever in a dark place, buy what you like when you see it at a decent price.

I can back you up here. Our store sells Arran 10, as does a local " super market " type of place. They are still selling it at old price, $49.99 ( a steal ), our COST is $58.00 now. The other store doesnt seem to sell much of it, so they still have old stock. Will be curious what they do moving forward and once they get the newer priced stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Deanston is the one I am really excited for. The others as well but that is my FD gift from the wife.
Is that Deanston a wine or port cask finish? I can’t tell. It takes wine/port nicely.

Reaction Score
Is that Deanston a wine or port cask finish? I can’t tell. It takes wine/port nicely.

I cant upload a damn picture ( 3.4 mb at that ) so I have to clip it and post it. So it can be hard to tell, its 1st fill bourbon only according to the label.

Reaction Score
I picked up another bottle of the $29.99 Lagavulin 9 House Lannister at Crazy Bruce's. It's not the 16 by a longshot, but it's probably the best $30 Scotch out there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stopped by Total Wine in Milford yesterday while we were in the area, because I needed to stock up on Rose wine; took a look at their Scotch and Japanese whisky selection to see if anything jumped out at me and I ended up grabbing the Nikka Yoichi Single Malt. It seemed like a decent price (around $80 iirc) and I have been curious about it because it's supposed to be their most Scotch-like whisky.

Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stopped by Total Wine in Milford yesterday while we were in the area, because I needed to stock up on Rose wine; took a look at their Scotch and Japanese whisky selection to see if anything jumped out at me and I ended up grabbing the Nikka Yoichi Single Malt. It seemed like a decent price (around $80 iirc) and I have been curious about it because it's supposed to be their most Scotch-like whisky.

Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

This was very nice. Like honeyed smoke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom