OT: Scotch thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Probably not that great. That said, I was luck enough to try a Cognac from 1945 and an Armagnac from 1943 as part of a barrel picking panel. Here is the 45, we did choose to have FineDrams bottle some of that cask. Grosperrin N°45 Fins Bois Cognac - Aficionados x Fine Drams The 1943 Armagnac was better, but just way too expensive. The best of the Cognacs on my review sheet was this one, which was our overall group choice. Grosperrin N°72 Grande Champagne Cognac - Aficionados x Fine Drams

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Probably not that great. That said, I was luck enough to try a Cognac from 1945 and an Armagnac from 1943 as part of a barrel picking panel. Here is the 45, we did choose to have FineDrams bottle some of that cask. Grosperrin N°45 Fins Bois Cognac - Aficionados x Fine Drams The 1943 Armagnac was better, but just way too expensive. The best of the Cognacs on my review sheet was this one, which was our overall group choice. Grosperrin N°72 Grande Champagne Cognac - Aficionados x Fine Drams
dang. u is a pro.
im puttin you on the 'we are not worthy' list. no offense, but i wouldn't know the difference between top shelf scotch and scotch tape.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
dang. u is a pro.
im puttin you on the 'we are not worthy' list. no offense, but i wouldn't know the difference between top shelf scotch and scotch tape.

I just know some people. But that was cool. I may buy a second bottle of the 96 Armagnac we picked, because it's great and I'm cheap.

Reaction Score
I grew tired off the selection here in North Carolina , and luckily SC is only a 20 min drive to two very large liquor stores. Surprised to find the Deanston, not so much the other two. Only tried the Deanston thus far but its really nice neat, little water turned it far too citrus for me though, would stick with neat.

Hunting.jpg

Reaction Score
Had a good buddy send me a little 1 oz taste of some Johnny Walker Blue Legendary 8 stuff. Pretty damn tasty but not freaking $430.00 a bottle tasty , and def. not for a blended scotch. Never tried to actual blue but if this is any indication that is over priced as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, Laga GoT Lannister 9 is $36 at BevMax in Stamford.
If you like the Lagavulin 9 GOT (which they aren't making more of), then try the Lagavulin 8. It's very similar, and the 8 is less expensive. In my case, it's a crazy low $40 here in town. I should really buy a case. It is $60 at Milford, CT Total Wine, $48 at my Total Wine.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
fwiw, Laga GoT Lannister 9 is $36 at BevMax in Stamford.

Better to let @8893 know, I'm in MA. That's a hell of a price, even lower than the $40 I pay for the 8 year.

Meanwhile, I scored a Benromach 10 for $46 today. That was a nice win. One of my favorite base original bottlings along with Talisker 10. Really doesn't taste like anything else.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Better to let @8893 know, I'm in MA. That's a hell of a price, even lower than the $40 I pay for the 8 year.

Meanwhile, I scored a Benromach 10 for $46 today. That was a nice win. One of my favorite base original bottlings along with Talisker 10. Really doesn't taste like anything else.
I was just at Total Wine in Milford and they were out of it, and the 8 was $59. Pazzz.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pretty soon, wait, check that, now
Covid supply woes hit alcohol in the US (medicalxpress.com)
im bettin that youse won't be caught up in 'price' discussions, moar like availability discussions, me thinks. i know that Pennsylvania is firmly innit today. not woke yet to the slow rolling mess of unforced errors that we're now in to (top gas price today in kali is $7 -why?), well, p and g just moved bath tissue production into 24/7 mode.
back on topic, alcohol. have sum,
Australian authorities now confiscating alcohol to ‘limit number of drinks’ residents in lockdown can have (bizpacreview.com).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was just at Total Wine in Milford and they were out of it, and the 8 was $59. Pazzz.

Hard pass. Come up here and get a case of 8 for $40 Each

Reaction Score
For anyone who is open to experimentation on Whisky that is finished with different types of barrels/aging. .Good article in this month's Wine Spectator (Bon Jovi on cover) Article titled "Whisky's Finishing Touch".Pg 77. Categories:Single Malt Scotch/Irish Whiskey/Bourbon-American/U.S. Single Malt.

Maybe not for the purist but interesting read..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For anyone who is open to experimentation on Whisky that is finished with different types of barrels/aging. .Good article in this month's Wine Spectator (Bon Jovi on cover) Article titled "Whisky's Finishing Touch".Pg 77. Categories:Single Malt Scotch/Irish Whiskey/Bourbon-American/U.S. Single Malt.

Maybe not for the purist but interesting read..

I haven't subscribed since the early 2000s. Could be interesting.

What everyone now thinks of at the normal (purist you said) barrel treatment of Scotch is really just an accident of economics. So is Sherry cask aging as well. Initially French oak casks were used as they were in wine, either new or those that held wine. Bourbon, by law, has to be aged in brand new charred oak barrels. So after prohibition the U.S. had a lot of barrels it couldn't use so the Scottish bought them because they were cheaper. Sherry casks came into vogue much earlier. The English used to love Sherry, and every pub had a cask of Sherry behind the bar. Those empty casks were cheap to acquire, and Scotch distillers used those to age their sprits.

So it's likely that wine casks were first, then Sherry, then ex-bourbon is the most recent, part of a shift to lighter styles that is fairly recent. So, what would purists really consider the original? Not ex-bourbon. Note that most sherry cask Scotch now uses new barrels that hold a garbage version of Sherry that is never consumed, solely to season the cask, since wooden Sherry casks are no longer shipped overseas while full since 1981. Sherry casks today cost far more than ex-bourbon.

Bourbon, because it must be aged in New Charred oak, can only be "finished" in a wine, port or sherry cask and still be called bourbon. American malt can be aged in any wood cask really. Irish too, although they use ex-bourbon for the same reason the Scottish do.

Reaction Score
I haven't subscribed since the early 2000s. Could be interesting.

What everyone now thinks of at the normal (purist you said) barrel treatment of Scotch is really just an accident of economics. So is Sherry cask aging as well. Initially French oak casks were used as they were in wine, either new or those that held wine. Bourbon, by law, has to be aged in brand new charred oak barrels. So after prohibition the U.S. had a lot of barrels it couldn't use so the Scottish bought them because they were cheaper. Sherry casks came into vogue much earlier. The English used to love Sherry, and every pub had a cask of Sherry behind the bar. Those empty casks were cheap to acquire, and Scotch distillers used those to age their sprits.

So it's likely that wine casks were first, then Sherry, then ex-bourbon is the most recent, part of a shift to lighter styles that is fairly recent. So, what would purists really consider the original? Not ex-bourbon. Note that most sherry cask Scotch now uses new barrels that hold a garbage version of Sherry that is never consumed, solely to season the cask, since wooden Sherry casks are no longer shipped overseas while full since 1981. Sherry casks today cost far more than ex-bourbon.

Bourbon, because it must be aged in New Charred oak, can only be "finished" in a wine, port or sherry cask and still be called bourbon. American malt can be aged in any wood cask really. Irish too, although they use ex-bourbon for the same reason the Scottish do.
Always good to hear your input and experience in this space. Appreciate folks with real world exposure.

Keep putting your knowledge out there for those looking to learn. Wine is an interesting food group as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Heading to total wine.

Recommendations? No parameters - just blurt ‘em out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Heading to total wine.

Glendronach 12 for sherry cask. Benromach 10 for something a bit different. I'll always recommend Talisker 10.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Heading to total wine.

Zü vodka (bison grass) if they have it.

I'm just about at the end of the GoT Lannister Lagavulin I bought in Danbury back in August. It wasn't a full-on replacement for the 16, but I was surprised how good it was for something I considered to be just gimmicky marketing. IIRC, under $60

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One of these days, I will buy a bottle of Talisker 10.

Ended up with two Americans.

I really like Courage and Conviction from Virginia Distilling - I also have their Cider Cask whiskey which really underwhelmed me. I bought that instead of the Port Finish at some point and Total Wine having the Port Finish on sale for $37 tonight made a sale.

Stopped at the liquor store near the Danbury Airport on the way home - they usually have some interesting things. Ended with with a bottle of Barrell Dovetail - basically a high-proof whiskey finished in rum, port and cabernet barrels. That lands pretty close to where my tastes are these days.

Reaction Score

I really like Courage and Conviction from Virginia Distilling - I also have their Cider Cask whiskey which really underwhelmed me. I bought that instead of the Port Finish at some point and Total Wine having the Port Finish on sale for $37 tonight made a sale.

Stopped at the liquor store near the Danbury Airport on the way home - they usually have some interesting things. Ended with with a bottle of Barrell Dovetail - basically a high-proof whiskey finished in rum, port and cabernet barrels. That lands pretty close to where my tastes are these days.

What does that Dovetail go for where you are? MSRP for most of their expressions where I am is $90/750ml. Rave reviews of most of their offerings, especially the one you have, but I have not pulled one off the shelf to buy just yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What does that Dovetail go for where you are? MSRP for most of their expressions where I am is $90/750ml. Rave reviews of most of their offerings, especially the one you have, but I have not pulled one off the shelf to buy just yet.

TotalWine is usually like $90-92.

Caraluzzi’s always has the full line, plus their own barrel selection, for $72-74.

I paid $74 for the Dovetail.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The Courage and Conviction sherry cask is pretty good. Blend of Scotch and Virginia malt. Agree with you on the cider cask. Dovetail is nice but it’s certainly pretty bourbon like in some ways. Hope you like it.

Definitely grab a Talisker 10 sometime.

As for blended concepts, I’m drinking a Bull Run Rye aged and tequila barrels. Just wild really. Truly an interesting look at how blending whiskey with rum, wine, tequila etc. produces interesting results.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom