OT: Scotch thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
I was flying through Taiwan the other day and picked up a bottle of the Kavalan Solist I can not wait to try. Is this gettable in the US?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well I guess I am a peat-head then!

If you can find it, try Ledaig 10. That’s my choice of affordable peated Scotch. I like Longrow Reds best, but it’s more pricey.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was flying through Taiwan the other day and picked up a bottle of the Kavalan Solist I can not wait to try. Is this gettable in the US?

Yes, but it isn’t cheap. I’ve had a couple of the Solist Vinho Barrique. They were both outstanding and very unique.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you can find it, try Ledaig 10. That’s my choice of affordable peated Scotch.
I had the Ledaig 10 in the other hand based on your recommendation and was deciding between the two (they didn't have Caol Ila 12) and had to ask for a price check in the Ardbeg 10 because it was unmarked. It was the same price as the Ledaig ($55) so I asked the guy about them, and that's when he sang Ardbeg's praises as his favorite distillery. I'll try the Ledaig next time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I had the Ledaig 10 in the other hand based on your recommendation and was deciding between the two (they didn't have Caol Ila 12) and had to ask for a price check in the Ardbeg 10 because it was unmarked. It was the same price as the Ledaig ($55) so I asked the guy about them, and that's when he sang Ardbeg's praises as his favorite distillery. I'll try the Ledaig next time.

The Ledaig is a bit more funky, peat is more earthy less ashy. Tobermory (which makes Ledaig) has a distinctive funky aspect to it. The peat covers it up to some extent, but it still comes through. People either love it or they don't. Regular Tobermory is more polarizing. I really want the 18 year Sherry barrel Ledaig, but it's a bit pricey.

Reaction Score
I need to get a 40th B'day gift for a close relative. Looking to spend $100 to $150. What's your choice? It can also be a bourbon or Rye.

Reaction Score
Dewar's is totally under respected. I like a single malt if I'm buying a bottle but find it hard to pay $20 for a shot of Macallan 12 at a restaurant. Dewar's is a solid less expensive scotch.

I can't stand it. I go Johnny Black if a good single malt isn't available.

Reaction Score
I need to get a 40th B'day gift for a close relative. Looking to spend $100 to $150. What's your choice? It can also be a bourbon or Rye.

The specialty Glenmorangie varietals are fantastic. Tusail, Milsean, etc... around $90-100. But super tasty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you know if s/he likes all whiskies? People who drink enough to enjoy a bottle in that price range usually have a pretty strong preference as among Scotch, Irish, bourbon or rye. If you know s/he likes Scotch, stick with Scotch.

Macallan Fine Oak 15 year would be a nice bottle in that range.

Reaction Score
Do you know if s/he likes all whiskies? People who drink enough to enjoy a bottle in that price range usually have a pretty strong preference as among Scotch, Irish, bourbon or rye. If you know s/he likes Scotch, stick with Scotch.

Macallan Fine Oak 15 year would be a nice bottle in that range.
It's my brother in law. I know he likes Scotch and bourbon. I'm not sure about his Scotch preference which is riskier than bourbon. He has a nice collection of decanters so I figured I'd help fill one. I'm a Macallan guy so your suggestion sounds good.

Reaction Score
I could give you a whole bunch of bourbons or rye at that price point, but you can get two really tasty bottles for $100-$140 - remember most rye's are coming from MGP in Indiana. That's not a bad thing because they have a lot of older stock on hand.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My house single is MaCallan 12 year. If I know there is a chance I'll be drinking like Paulie Pennino (Rocky), it's mostly Johnny Red or Dewars (I'm a cheap date with myself at home). When I go out, Johnny Black is my go-to on the rocks or Dewars with soda, mood dependent.

I also have various other bottles in the cabinet. MaCallan 18, Johnny Blue, Laphroaig 10, Glenlivet of various ages, but don't really break those out often. I mostly enjoy highland, but do not discriminate against lowland, speyside, or islay.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's my brother in law. I know he likes Scotch and bourbon. I'm not sure about his Scotch preference which is riskier than bourbon. He has a nice collection of decanters so I figured I'd help fill one. I'm a Macallan guy so your suggestion sounds good.

I am not a fan of the 15 fine oak. Very sweet and kind of meh. There is a new Macallan called Classic Cut, which is better. Either of the two “Macallan Editions” 2 or 3, that are on shelves, run $100 and are solid.

I’d go a different route, if he likes peated Scotch at all. Something like a Springbank 15 or a Longrow Red. On the bourbon side, a Four Roses Private Selection is a cant miss.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of the 15 fine oak. Very sweet and kind of meh. There is a new Macallan called Classic Cut, which is better. Either of the two “Macallan Editions” 2 or 3, that are on shelves, run $100 and are solid.

I’d go a different route, if he likes peated Scotch at all. Something like a Springbank 15 or a Longrow Red. On the bourbon side, a Four Roses Private Selection is a cant miss.
Thanks. I don't know that bottle; I know the 12 year very well and like it a lot, and I obviously know the 18. But the 12 isn't expensive enough for his range and the 18 is obviously too much, so I thought the 15 was just an in-between. Your recs sound a lot better.

I was going to suggest that he consider a nice high end Irish whiskey like Middleton or Yellow Spot. Green Spot is my favorite but it's "only" around $55-$60.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks. I don't know that bottle; I know the 12 year very well and like it a lot, and I obviously know the 18. But the 12 isn't expensive enough for his range and the 18 is obviously too much, so I thought the 15 was just an in-between. Your recs sound a lot better.

I was going to suggest that he consider a nice high end Irish whiskey like Middleton or Yellow Spot. Green Spot is my favorite but it's "only" around $55-$60.

If @Chuck wants to be adventurous, he could look for some Amrut, Indian whisky. Some of it is fantastic. I think the peated Cask Strength is about the right price, as is the Fusion, which I like a lot.

On the Irish side there is a Green Spot that was finished in Zinfandel barrels that is supposed to be good.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'd consider the Macallan 18 at about $95 or maybe consider a Talisker 18 for about 130 or so. 18's are getting rarer to find since the distillaries aren't pushing them out so much in favor of blending them into aged bottles like Talisker Storm.

Reaction Score

That's part of the problem. I think my palette peaks at the $70 range. Above that, I've had tastes of good stuff, but I don't find it totally necessary. But my brother in law has expensive tastes so he would be appreciative of a couple $60 bottles, but it would be adding to his liquor cabinet rather than giving him something a little special.

I'm going to pop over to a giant liquor store by my house that has a crazy inventory. See if anything looks interesting. I may even hit this board up while I'm there.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Could always to the Japanese Whiskey route as well. Yamazaki, Hibiki and I really like Nikka Coffey Grain
They're an interesting thought but I'd consider going with the Balcone's from Texas if your looking at a malt instead of a bourbon or scotch. I find the Japanese are a little rougher until you get into bottle over 12 years. The Yamazake 12 is raw for my taste and I've had it both out of the bottle and at the factory. The 18 is a different story but way overpriced. (I like the younger Nikka better than the Yamazake or Hibiki. The Yamazake 12 would be my least favorite - I own a bottle that is just sitting in my cupboard!)

Reaction Score
I was once in line at Costco and overheard the conversation between the guy at the register and an alcoholic-looking patrician couple out of central casting (think George Costanza's fiancé Susan's parents). The husband was asking how the new, value-priced Kirkland blended Scotch offering was, and the guy at the counter gave it props for what it was. Like he was delivering a nugget of wisdom, the older guy confidently proclaimed, "After the first sip, it doesn't much matter what you're drinking." Not that I'd expect it, but he got no pushback. He departed with a half dozen 1.75l bottles of the house brand. And probably has never invaded the principle either.
Kirkland 1.75L is now my house brand. I prefer it to the Dewar’s I use to drink @ half the price.

Reaction Score
I'd consider the Macallan 18 at about $95 or maybe consider a Talisker 18 for about 130 or so. 18's are getting rarer to find since the distillaries aren't pushing them out so much in favor of blending them into aged bottles like Talisker Storm.

I'm not a scotch guy at all, but if you can find Macallan 18 at $95 please tell me where that is, I'll buy some for friends last time I shopped it the price was $200+

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I'm not a scotch guy at all, but if you can find Macallan 18 at $95 please tell me where that is, I'll buy some for friends last time I shopped it the price was $200+
You're right - I got a bottle last summer and it was $95 - today its showing up for $259 on NH Liquor website. The Talisker 18 (which I may like more ) is $124.95

Drumguy

Reaction Score
That's part of the problem. I think my palette peaks at the $70 range. Above that, I've had tastes of good stuff, but I don't find it totally necessary. But my brother in law has expensive tastes so he would be appreciative of a couple $60 bottles, but it would be adding to his liquor cabinet rather than giving him something a little special.

I'm going to pop over to a giant liquor store by my house that has a crazy inventory. See if anything looks interesting. I may even hit this board up while I'm there.
My brother in law also has a big budget/wallet so he's got some 25, 30 year olds. I'm not sure the cost/benefit is worth it once you start spending over $100. I once had a drink of his AM Hirsch bourbon that is selling around $3,000 a bottle and I couldn't tell any difference from a $35 Buffalo Trace!

Reaction Score
My brother in law also has a big budget/wallet so he's got some 25, 30 year olds. I'm not sure the cost/benefit is worth it once you start spending over $100. I once had a drink of his AM Hirsch bourbon that is selling around $3,000 a bottle and I couldn't tell any difference from a $35 Buffalo Trace!

For me and I have 150 different bottles of bourbon in the house (it’s not because I’m hi-falootin it’s becaue I was drinking bourbon long before it was a thing). the sweet spot is 12-16 years. - so it’s less a price thing than an age thing for me For example the Pappy 23 is not close to as good as the 15 year. I only have one 20 year left so I haven’t had that one in a while, but I’m going to say the 15 is better than what I remember that too be. At some point they get over oaked and it consumes the other subtleties they make it great. There’s so much good stuff at reasonable prices you don’t need to hunt taters to have a good drink. I’m happy to drink WTRB, ECBP, Stagg JR or FRBS all day and fin im drinking rye give me a $22 bottle of Rittenhouse BIB.

I think the AH Hirsch was pretty fantastic. My last bottle of original Hirsch 16 year was pretty great and sad all at once. It was going for $5k on the secondary a few years ago, but I buy to drink not sell and I had that bottle since 1999 or 2000 and I knew when I finished it I’d never have it again and it was damn good.

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone. I went with a bottle of Redemption 9 Year Barrel Proof Bourbon. $100 too many varieties of Scotch for me to choose for someone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom