OT: Scotch thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't know how or why this happened, but two weeks ago I found Lagavulin 16 at my local for $61. I bought two bottles. The first is almost gone already. Wish I had bought more.
I got this in NH a couple weeks ago with a mail-in rebate. Love it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I got this in NH a couple weeks ago with a mail-in rebate. Love it.
Cracked open the second bottle last night. It is going down way too easy.

I am almost finished with my Lagavulin 12. Unfortunately, at a normal retail of $150 I won't be replacing it. I'm going to try a few Port Charlottes from Bruichladdich to see if they can satisfy my smoke fix. Maybe grab the Lagavulin GOT bottle. Sadly, my Scotch tastes are trending in increasingly expensive directions.

Reaction Score
I don't know how or why this happened, but two weeks ago I found Lagavulin 16 at my local for $61. I bought two bottles. The first is almost gone already. Wish I had bought more.

Good find. I would have brought at least 4 at that price. Best price locally I found was $90 last month, and that was a sale price.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good find. I would have brought at least 4 at that price. Best price locally I found was $90 last month, and that was a sale price.
Believe me, I'm kicking myself for only buying two.

Reaction Score
This past weekend a friend of mine poured me a fine glass of Lagavulin Game of Thrones, House of Lannister Whisky. It was outstanding. I don't really know the terminology, cask strength or smokey, but you could taste the barrel, loved it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Generally not a fan of Irish or Scotch whiskies (whisky's??).

Did try some Jameson Black Barrell on the rocks this morning. About as good as it gets for me. Normally the peat smell is what off puts me.

I'll gladly wearthe light weight or newby label if I have to choose and this is my choice.

Reaction Score
Scotch in CT has gotten so expensive but when I was buying regularly, McCallan 12 was a clear go to. Tried the 15 but couldn’t taste a difference. I’ll have to try the 18 one day. Can never go wrong with McCallan in my opinion.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Scotch in CT has gotten so expensive but when I was buying regularly, McCallan 12 was a clear go to. Tried the 15 but couldn’t taste a difference. I’ll have to try the 18 one day. Can never go wrong with McCallan in my opinion.
Friend of mine just have me a bottle of the McCallan 21! It's delicious!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Generally not a fan of Irish or Scotch whiskies (whisky's??).

Did try some Jameson Black Barrell on the rocks this morning. About as good as it gets for me. Normally the peat smell is what off puts me.

I'll gladly wearthe light weight or newby label if I have to choose and this is my choice.

Very little Irish is peated and most Scotch is not peated. Irish tends to be “smooth”, which is a code word for approachable by the non hard core whiskey people.

@B1GEast The Lagavulin GOT is good. Suggest getting the regular Lagavulin 8 year which is very similar and much cheaper.

I’m having some Loch Lomond 18. Really nice Stuff.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I was a huge scotch fan, especially Islays. Ardbeg, Laphraiog, and all the rest.

I find myself not enjoying it too much anymore, or even whiskey, but much preferring a quality, aged tequila. Casamigos Anejo is my current go to. Anyone else enjoy a glass of tequila over scotch?

Reaction Score
Very little Irish is peated and most Scotch is not peated. Irish tends to be “smooth”, which is a code word for approachable by the non hard core whiskey people.

@B1GEast The Lagavulin GOT is good. Suggest getting the regular Lagavulin 8 year which is very similar and much cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be picking up a bottle this weekend

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Haven't had the Laga Lannister yet, but as the PLCB (PA Liquor Control Board monopoly) doesn't offer the 8 and the Lannister ($70) is $22 less than the Laga 16 ($92), I'll be checking it out.

While Laga remains my favorite, I usually get Famous Grouse as my everyday house scotch, but lately regular Loch Lomond "Original" has been on sale for $26 or so. Not remarkable, but easy drinking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks to seeing this thread bumped I checked the price of Lagavulin 16 at Total Wine and it's all the way down $60.99!? What on earth happened? It's been ages since I've seen it under $75 in CT and it kept creeping up. Many stores had it for $90+. I'm going to pick up a few bottles today. Perfect timing with the cold weather here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks to seeing this thread bumped I checked the price of Lagavulin 16 at Total Wine and it's all the way down $60.99!? What on earth happened? It's been ages since I've seen it under $75 in CT and it kept creeping up. Many stores had it for $90+. I'm going to pick up a few bottles today. Perfect timing with the cold weather here.
Thanks for the heads up. My last bottle is running low.

I was told that the price inflation for Lagavulin was the result of huge purchases by the Japanese; if the price has dropped back down to Earth here I'm guessing it's because the demand dropped off in that market for one reason or another.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestion. I will be picking up a bottle this weekend

Don't pay too much. This is one of the flier bottles from Diageo. They initially priced it at over $70 and it should now be about $40. Same happened to Oban Little Bay, Talisker Storm and a few others. Sometimes you'll go into a store that still has it at the old price.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Haven't had the Laga Lannister yet, but as the PLCB (PA Liquor Control Board monopoly) doesn't offer the 8 and the Lannister ($70) is $22 less than the Laga 16 ($92), I'll be checking it out.

While Laga remains my favorite, I usually get Famous Grouse as my everyday house scotch, but lately regular Loch Lomond "Original" has been on sale for $26 or so. Not remarkable, but easy drinking.

Just checked the website. Your prices mostly suck, which is unusual for an ABC state. Usually the variety stinks, but the prices are good. Ardbeg 10 is the best fairly priced peated Islay. You have no Bruichladdich at all. Ugh. Could not live there.

But, if you want to take a chance, you have the brand new Lagavulin 11.

Reaction Score
Total Wine in CT? I loved Total Wine when I lived in the South. There was always a deal on entry level single malt 12 years like Glenlivet or GlenFiddich for 26.99 and McCallan 12 for $40! Here I guess with state minimums, it’s harder to find great deals. Looking forward to trying Lagavulin, thanks!

Reaction Score
Total Wine had a single malt tasting the other day. Found out about it a bit late and it was sold out. :( Good to hear that Laga prices are down. If I can find a good deal, I'll stock up for the holidays!

EDIT: Right now $85.99 for the 16-yr at TW. Still, it's less than I paid last year.

Reaction Score
Anyone else trying John Barr as their every day pour? I’m impressed at the price point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Total Wine had a single malt tasting the other day. Found out about it a bit late and it was sold out. :( Good to hear that Laga prices are down. If I can find a good deal, I'll stock up for the holidays!

EDIT: Right now $85.99 for the 16-yr at TW. Still, it's less than I paid last year.
That’s crazy. It’s $60 at TW in CT right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom