OT: Scotch thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This was very nice. Like honeyed smoke.

Good price. Rare to get it at retail. They have two distilleries - Yoichi and Miyagikyo. The single malts from each tend to be their best attempt at creating something that tastes like it came from Scotland. ( I think for most of their whiskeys, they blend between the two distilleries…”pure” in Nikka terms means “blend”.)

I kinda prefer the Miyagiko Single Malt just because it is more to my tastes…a little less smoke, a little more fruit.

I bought two bottles of this a few years ago. First one is gone, so I must have liked it or maybe it was the pandemic and I didn’t care.

A34-A1457-2035-4-C79-8-C5-E-E90981-CECE11.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good price. Rare to get it at retail. They have two distilleries - Yoichi and Miyagikyo. The single malts from each tend to be their best attempt at creating something that tastes like it came from Scotland. ( I think for most of their whiskeys, they blend between the two distilleries…”pure” in Nikka terms means “blend”.)

I kinda prefer the Miyagiko Single Malt just because it is more to my tastes…a little less smoke, a little more fruit.

I bought two bottles of this a few years ago. First one is gone, so I must have liked it or maybe it was the pandemic and I didn’t care.

A34-A1457-2035-4-C79-8-C5-E-E90981-CECE11.jpg
I'm guessing that one, like the Miyagiko, is less smoky than the Yoichi?

I like peated Scotches so the Yoichi is nice for me (and not crazy smoky); and I still have the Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain for when I don't want the smoke.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I like peated Scotches so the Yoichi is nice for me (and not crazy smoky); and I still have the Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain for when I don't want the smoke.

It’s there - enough that I think you would probably enjoy it - but it‘s a light touch. (It’s 90%Miyagiko, 10% Yoichi in terms of where the malt comes from.)

It’s really good….but here’s the caveat. I bought two of them at around $58 each at a store that looked like Jack Daniels was as fancy as they got. You’d have to buy them now at around $80-85.

I feel like I could point to 25 other bottles I own that I would recommend you spend money on before spending $85 here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
New one I mentioned I was going to buy. Opened now. Laphroaig base 10 year is too medicinal, band aid, phenols for me. But I’ve liked most of the Cairdeas annual Fes Isle releases (kudos to them for being the only distillery that sells their Fes Isle release broadly). This was aged entirely in their warehouse 1 right on the water in Islay. Not medicinal at all, some wood smoke, pie crust, lemon and lots of brine and sea spray. It’s really nice.

E9E20877-FCB4-4739-AA17-F1B181B8DC27.jpeg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Popped it open.

More peat than I remembered.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone ever inventory what they have?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Like in a spreadsheet? Long ago I did that. I also did it for wine using Cellar Tracker. Not sure what value it has really.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@Fishy I picked up a Westward single malt today. I think you were a fan. My small local shop is moving so all spirits are 15% off.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Like in a spreadsheet? Long ago I did that. I also did it for wine using Cellar Tracker. Not sure what value it has really.
I never have, and I don't have enough liquor bottles to warrant it.

But it would be somewhat useful for my wine because I have a lot of that in the basement in various boxes and a very large rack, and I only have scant notes on the outsides of some of the boxes, so I forget about a lot of them--which does lead to some nice surprises. Like a 2009 bottle of Silver Oak Cab I stumbled across the other night while looking for something to drink with grilled strip sirloin. Winner!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

But it would be somewhat useful for my wine because I have a lot of that in the basement in various boxes and a very large rack, and I only have scant notes on the outsides of some of the boxes, so I forget about a lot of them--which does lead to some nice surprises. Like a 2009 bottle of Silver Oak Cab I stumbled across the other night while looking for something to drink with grilled strip sirloin. Winner!
Cellartracker is the way to go. Online inventory, but each bottle is pre-populated and includes links to tasting notes from other users (you can choose to make it visible or not). The benefit of that is that somebody will pop a Bordeaux and say "oh damn, this is really closed off right now" or that it's drinking beautifully or that it's fading and you better open it now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
@Fishy I picked up a Westward single malt today. I think you were a fan. My small local shop is moving so all spirits are 15% off.

Oh, a huge fan. If I’m stranded on a desert island and only one distillery could deliver to that island, I might pick Westward.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Cellartracker is the way to go. Online inventory, but each bottle is pre-populated and includes links to tasting notes from other users (you can choose to make it visible or not). The benefit of that is that somebody will pop a Bordeaux and say "oh damn, this is really closed off right now" or that it's drinking beautifully or that it's fading and you better open it now.
Wish I had that app 12-15 years ago when I was emptying my cellar of "big bottles". It was time consuming to surf around and get something of a an online consensus on hold/peak/past peak. Not that I had a huge, valuable collection, but easily $3K or so. I probably only missed peak on a couple, but by that point I was well past being awed by pretty much any of the CA "names" anyway. My trip to ANZ really changed my mind on quality/value, later reinforced by trips to Italy, France and even Bulgaria.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I’m going to do it later.

I have a minor wine collection in that I have a bunch of bottles of William Selyem somewhere in my basement.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Oh, a huge fan. If I’m stranded on a desert island and only one distillery could deliver to that island, I might pick Westward.
But you won't commit?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

So I did inventory…used Distiller.

Meh. Their library of stored bottles is not perfect - e.g. Michter’s American Whiskey was not in the library - and the look up is really clunky. They make sharing a disaster.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I did inventory…used Distiller.

Meh. Their library of stored bottles is not perfect - e.g. Michter’s American Whiskey was not in the library - and the look up is really clunky. They make sharing a disaster.
Never liked Distiller. I just keep the list in my head. It doesn't go bad. There's no vintage variation (maybe some batch variation for a few bourbons or Mezcals), and it's just not worth the effort. Maybe if you've got over 100 bottles or something.

Reaction Score
I took a $40 flyer on a bottle of Islay Single Malt Whisky from Costco's brand, Kirkland. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it came off thick and peaty much like a young Laphroaig. Very in your face with all the things Islay is famous for, (smoke, tar, iodine, brine) and faint hint of vanilla from the oak casks. Rumors abound at what Alexander Murray bottled for Costco, but most point to a Port Charlotte. Bottled at 50% which is nice too. I would pay the extra $10 and get this over the Lagavulin 9 House Lannister I've been buying for $30.

Reaction Score
Same but different. The IB is a bit " sharper " on the palate. Same range of flavors but with more grip or bite to them. The distillery bottle is superior but its close. Cant go wrong with either for under $40 US

1663078201831.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Same but different. The IB is a bit " sharper " on the palate. Same range of flavors but with more grip or bite to them. The distillery bottle is superior but its close. Cant go wrong with either for under $40 US

View attachment 79013
That seems typical to me. IB is going to usually be higher proof, maybe more pronounced flavors less "smooth". Usually I'd want the IB.

Reaction Score
That seems typical to me. IB is going to usually be higher proof, maybe more pronounced flavors less "smooth". Usually I'd want the IB.

Usually the case but these have the same ABV. My guess was that this one barrel didnt quite meet the exact profile of the standard so they let it loose. The standard stuff is just delicious. I plan to snag a 15 on my next EU order.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Scotch drinkers, thought I would point out, in case you didn't already think of it, that the current currency situation with the Euro falling below $1 and the GBP also falling, means that Scotch ordered from overseas (which was always cheaper) is now much cheaper.
I'm looking through Buy Whisky & Fine Spirits Online | Fine Drams now.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Not scotch but Stew’s has Eagle Rare 10 - bottled for them for $49. It’s really tasty!

Reaction Score
Found a dusty one from 2016 while on the NC coast for our daughters wedding

1665156932166.png

1665156951386.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just picked this up on a whim when the guy at my local shop pointed it out as “entry-level Nikka.” A blend of their various whiskies. Very nice and smooth, and pretty good value at $50. Strikes me as the Monkey Shoulder of Japanese whisky.

DDC1E4E2-6F4A-43C0-A303-384A6DC439DA.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom