OT: Scotch thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My Hudson Bright Lights, Big Bourbon is almost empty. I loved it.

I’d like to get one more bourbon bottle while the weather is still cold. I drink it neat. Recs?

Do not know where you are, but the distillery is easy to get to from Connecticut.

As for a bourbon recommendation, I have no idea.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That will probably blend nicely. If you have anything Jamaican, that can provide a fruity funk. Rum is great for blending. Which Foursquare do you have? Doorly’s and Real McCoy are both Foursquare at lower proof (and cheaper).

2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Only Jamaican I have is Hampden Great House and I just ain’t going to mix that. Too hard to replace.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Only Jamaican I have is Hampden Great House and I just ain’t going to mix that. Too hard to replace.

Damn. That's a nice rum collection, including the Hampden. If you like Foursquare, you'd probably like Privateer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There's no gin thread, so dumping this here.

Seems there's now a Kopi Luwak equivalent for gin. Who here will be the first to give it a try?

Reaction Score
Picked up a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa. A little less rough around the edges than the Wee Beastie. had one dram with and without water. Not sure which I like better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Picked up a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa. A little less rough around the edges than the Wee Beastie. had one dram with and without water. Not sure which I like better.
Wee Beastie is younger and higher proof, so yeah. Exactly what you said.

Had some Springbank 15 today. May need another. Had a sample of 13 year old sherry cask Hazelburn and it was magnificent. But not sure I’ll ever find it.

Reaction Score
I was bringing back a bunch of returnables to Crazy Bruce's in Bristol today and meandered through the Scotch section. They had the Lagavulin 9 (Game of Thrones: House Lannister Edition) for $29.99! Not a typo!

I grabbed one, but should have picked up more. on the heels of a couple bottles that I bought last week my wife would have killed me!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was bringing back a bunch of returnables to Crazy Bruce's in Bristol today and meandered through the Scotch section. They had the Lagavulin 9 (Game of Thrones: House Lannister Edition) for $29.99! Not a typo!

I grabbed one, but should have picked up more. on the heels of a couple bottles that I bought last week my wife would have killed me!
Maybe not a typo but definitely a mistake. I would have grabbed as many as they would let me buy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Maybe not a typo but definitely a mistake. I would have grabbed as many as they would let me buy.
Yeah. It doesn't go bad. Even open. @AreBee1969 that's the argument I use with my wife. Buying 5 bottles at $30 that will last forever, and save me $200 over buying similar bottles later is a good financial decision.

Reaction Score
Wee Beastie is younger and higher proof, so yeah. Exactly what you said.

Had some Springbank 15 today. May need another. Had a sample of 13 year old sherry cask Hazelburn and it was magnificent. But not sure I’ll ever find it.
Any idea what the age is on the An Oa?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Any idea what the age is on the An Oa?
Wee Beastie is 5 (the youngest stuff in it is 5). An Oa It has no age statement, so it's likely a blend of old and younger stuff. If I had to guess I'd say the average is probably about 8, but who knows? The Ardbeg 10 sometimes costs less, but doesn't have the PX sherry cask influence. An Oa is the softest, easiest drinking thing Ardbeg sells (part of the reason I don't love it).

For easy drinking, somewhat peated but not full-throated peat, and more complexity, I'll take Talisker 10 over it any time.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a mistake. They had a cut case display, sitting on top of three cases. The old packie employee in me knows, you never stack on top of empty boxes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a mistake. They had a cut case display, sitting on top of three cases. The old packie employee in me knows, you never stack on top of empty boxes.
It would not surprise me if they start putting all the remaining GOT bottles on deep discount to move them. How long has it been since the show ended? They tried to make them seem limited at first and fans grabbed them....then the glut came. They made absolute tons of all of those.

Reaction Score
I have to say that the Lagavulin 9, GoT House Lannister was underwhelming. With the high praise the Offerman edition received, I was expecting more from Lagavulin. I found it very thin and one dimensional, (think burnt toast). I did get a little vanilla on the finish which I would guess is from the ex-Bourbon casks. (Also a reason it's not like any other Lagavulin expression.) I tried it with and without a splash and and was pretty indifferent to which was better. Again, for $30, it's worth it, but I would have been disappointed at MSRP.

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if they start putting all the remaining GOT bottles on deep discount to move them. How long has it been since the show ended? They tried to make them seem limited at first and fans grabbed them....then the glut came. They made absolute tons of all of those.
I've been buying Johnnie Walker - White Walker for $15.99 for about a year. I keep it in the basement freezer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've been buying Johnnie Walker - White Walker for $15.99 for about a year. I keep it in the basement freezer.
I tried that frozen at a tasting, not terrible. Evidently it is terrible when not cold.

Reaction Score
I tried that frozen at a tasting, not terrible. Evidently it is terrible when not cold.
I can attest to that. Crazy that you market a Scotch by telling people to freeze it. They do the same with the Gold which I don't care for at all. $50+ for a bottle that tastes better with the flavor dulled.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Damn. That's a nice rum collection, including the Hampden. If you like Foursquare, you'd probably like Privateer.

I don’t like mixed drinks, I don’t like putting ice cubes in anything, and I really do not have any kind of tolerance so decent bottles last me a very long time. You can get a lot of mileage if you’re hitting the collection one ounce at a time.

There's no gin thread, so dumping this here.

Seems there's now a Kopi Luwak equivalent for gin. Who here will be the first to give it a try?

I love gin. But not enough for that.

Some bottles kicked over the past month….largely with the help of friends.

Aberlour A’bunadh. Will I buy it again? 100%. Love it. Forgot how much I loved it until I went back to it to finish it off. It’s wonderful.

Bunnahabhain 12. Buy it again? Nah. Not crazy about it. Also, the cork broke.

Monkey Shoulder 12. Buy it again? Yes. Perfect for guests and whatever horrific things they want to do to scotch. (“Oh…that’s a nice bottle of scotch!“ “Yes, it is and you’re not putting club soda in it, so you get the bottle with the monkey on it.”)

Balcones Lineage. Buy it again? No. Balcones Single Malt is one of my favorites. This one is…okay.

Breckenridge Rum. But it again? Definitely. I love it.

Coopers Daughter Black Walnut Bourbon. Buy it again? I’m pretty sure I will…kinda nice.

Reaction Score
Monkey Shoulder 12. Buy it again? Yes. Perfect for guests and whatever horrific things they want to do to scotch. (“Oh…that’s a nice bottle of scotch!“ “Yes, it is and you’re not putting club soda in it, so you get the bottle with the monkey on it.”)

LOL… “you get the bottle w/ the monkey on it”.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
With all the chatter today I opened up my Laphroaig Cairdeas triple wood. Very nice stuff. My second bottle of it.

Reaction Score
With all the chatter today I opened up my Laphroaig Cairdeas triple wood. Very nice stuff. My second bottle of it.
Better slow down.That second bottle can kick some butt!

Reaction Score
If you are at all into Rye, find this

1649262343249.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
don't really know much aboot hooch, irish or otherwise. some taste fine and some taste like listerine mixed with absorbine, with gentle hints in the bouquet of ham and feet. pretty much like most things, but i do like markets.
Proper No. Twelve Is America's Fastest Growing Whiskey Brand, And That's a Problem

and i really liked that moonshine throwdown that i watched last week. 3 shiners compete to win, with like an hour or so from go, to tasting by a panel. now, that's impressive. in one competition, they had to make a fizzy drink, bringing their co2 and canning game into play. let's just say that burping the gas can is real important.

looks like ol connor still has the knockout punch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom