OT: Scotch thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’ve done it. Your new bible.

Scotch:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 - Port cask; quite good. Will Replace.
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - Sampler, replaced by the 14.
Glenmorangie The Original - Unremarkable.
Glenmorangie Lasanta - Good, but not buying again.
Glenmorangie Nector Dor - Same.
Glendronach Revival 15 - Very good, but no longer my taste.
Glendronach Original 12 - Nothing special.
Lagavulin 16 - Enjoyed it, but am over the peated scotches. Not replacing.
Laphroaig Triple Wood - Same. Tastes like a sweet complex ashtray.
Balvenie Caribbean Cask - Loved the first bottle, hated the second.
Balvenie Double Wood 12 - Oak. Nuff said.
Bunnahabhain 12 - Not offensive but the bottle is being swapped.
Aberlour 12 - Really disappointing. Also being swapped.
Aberlour A’Bunadh - Spend more and buy this over the 12. Very nice.
Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - Deck scotch.
Johnny Walker Black Label - Fine.
Monkey Shoulder - Buy this instead of the last two. Quite a bargain.
Macallan 12 - Amazed anyone likes this. Just beyond dull.
Glenfiddich Fire and Cane - Blech.

Japan:

Nikka Coffey Malt - Very good. If it’s $30 more, buy the Grain instead.
Nikka Coffey Grain - Great. Cheap.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt - Think you guys would like this.
Nikka from the Barrel - Good, but not likely buying again.

Ireland:

Green Spot - Honestly, nearly perfect.
Red Spot - Actually, perfect.
Blue Spot - Actually, better than perfect.
Redbreast 15 - Disappointing.
Redbreast 12 - Disappointing.
Redbreast Lustau - Somehow, wonderful.
Jameson - Bargain, but stretch for the Green Spot.
Jameson Caskmates Stout - Another bargain.
Connemara 12 Year - A peated Irish. Not my taste.
Writers Tears - Unremarkable. Buy Jameson instead and save $5.
Bushmills - Deck whiskey.

India:

Amrut Single Malt - I would use it to kill ants.

America:

Slaughter House American Whiskey - It’s actually bourbon, I think. Yuck.
Breckenridge Port Cask - Interesting. Rye comes out more here. Recommended.
Breckenridge Rum Cask - Love it.
Westland Sherry Wood - Definitely buy again.
Balconies Texas Single Malt - High-proof, would buy again.
Balcones Lineage - Lower proof. Not remarkable.
Virginia Distillery Courage and Conviction - Excellent. Total Wine has 50ml samples.
Virginia Distillery Cider Cask - $15 less than C and C. Like C and C a lot more.
Westward Single Malt - Excellent. Will buy it if I can find it.
Stranahan’s Diamond Peak - Maybe stick with the regular Stranahans.
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt - Awful.

Bourbon:

Buffalo Trace - Bad
Eagle Rare - Bad
Wilderness Trail Bourbon - Really bad
Gentleman Jack - Slightly less bad. But still bad.

Rye:

Copper Fox Rye Whiskey - Eh....coming around on this one.

We get it. You don't like bourbon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We get it. You don't like bourbon.

Yes, because it’s bad.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Seems you like sherry cask stuff. Across, Irish, Scotch and American that theme seems consistent. Maybe try the Breckenridge PX.

Also, @Drumguy gave me an idea. Have you had any Mezcal? Not the crappy worm stuff, but the real Mezcal that is very popular now. Quite a lot of variation in profiles, and 99% of it is unaged. It's kind of the anti-Bourbon of the spirits world.

I’m pretty sure that I have never even tried it. I can endure tequila in mixed drinks sometimes, but I’m not really a fan.

Similar?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That may explain my recent love affair with Mezcal cocktails, which I've been drinking out at restaurants and bars with interesting cocktail lists. I have yet to sip it though. Any you recommend? Would your recommendation be different if using to make cocktails?

Cocktails I wouldn't waste the more unique expressions. It's sort of just a smoke on/smoke off choice. The default cocktail mezcal for smoke is Vida from Del Maguey. You can certainly sip it, but I wouldn't choose it for that. Slightly smoky, Fidencio Classico. For minimal smoke, more fruity agave profile, pick an Espadin (type of Agave) or an Ensemble (usually Espadin + something else). Bozal Ensemble would be a good very low smoke option. All three of those are widely available.

I dabble, but know some guys who do way more than that. Essentially you've got different types of agave, and you've got specific mezcaleros. Most of the brands, are bottling mezcal made by a specific person, from a type of agave (or more than one). Some of these agaves can give you very unique profiles, including green pepper, tropical fruits, flint/stone/clay, really a very very diverse spirit. I'm partial to some stuff from Vago all the Espadin's are good, Ensemble en Barro is really good. This Espadin from Koch is good, I just poured myself some as a reminder. Fidencio Classico is a good starter that you can sip or put in cocktails.

Note: don't sip these in a Glencairn. They really need an open top glass. They use copitas. I ordered a few handmade ones on Etsy. Some lady in Colorado makes them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that I have never even tried it. I can endure tequila in mixed drinks sometimes, but I’m not really a fan.

Similar?

Sort of. They use different agaves and tequila is pretty much an industrial product. Many mezcals are the ultimate in "craft". Much fruitier in most cases, and unaged with a wide range of flavor profiles. But unlike unaged tequila, which is only really tolerable as a shot with salt and lime, most of these are quite sippable neat. A Quick Guide to Mezcal - On the Sauce Again - Mezcal The only decent sipping tequilas I've had have all been oak aged, and were decent only because of the oak/vanilla they pick up (which you don't like).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cocktails I wouldn't waste the more unique expressions. It's sort of just a smoke on/smoke off choice. The default cocktail mezcal for smoke is Vida from Del Maguey. You can certainly sip it, but I wouldn't choose it for that. Slightly smoky, Fidencio Classico. For minimal smoke, more fruity agave profile, pick an Espadin (type of Agave) or an Ensemble (usually Espadin + something else). Bozal Ensemble would be a good very low smoke option. All three of those are widely available.

I dabble, but know some guys who do way more than that. Essentially you've got different types of agave, and you've got specific mezcaleros. Most of the brands, are bottling mezcal made by a specific person, from a type of agave (or more than one). Some of these agaves can give you very unique profiles, including green pepper, tropical fruits, flint/stone/clay, really a very very diverse spirit. I'm partial to some stuff from Vago all the Espadin's are good, Ensemble en Barro is really good. This Espadin from Koch is good, I just poured myself some as a reminder. Fidencio Classico is a good starter that you can sip or put in cocktails.

Note: don't sip these in a Glencairn. They really need an open top glass. They use copitas. I ordered a few handmade ones on Etsy. Some lady in Colorado makes them.
Thanks! I like the smoke and I think it complements spicy and citrusy cocktails really well. Sounds like Fidencio Classico would be a good place to start.

Would my NEAT glass be a good sipping glass for this?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks! I like the smoke and I think it complements spicy and citrusy cocktails really well. Sounds like Fidencio Classico would be a good place to start.

Would my NEAT glass be a good sipping glass for this?

Maybe on the glass, it flares out at the top at least. A classic Italian tumbler style wine glass would be fine, or a small old fashioned glass if you've got one. Seems silly, but I started with Glencairn type glasses before I was advised otherwise and it makes a difference.

Fidencio Classico was my first one, it's a solid option. Not too expensive either.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And now you have me completely confused.
Glencairn%20Copita-400x400.jpg

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Wow, from getting my eyes opened on aged tequilas, this is a whole 'nother look at agave. I'm going to check out some mezcals at the local Total or Stews! If I can post it I had a mezcal marguarita in Carmen de Playa last week that used smoked Rosemary as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And now you have me completely confused.

Sorry. It is confusing because that is the name for that style of whisky glass (usually with slightly straighter sides) but this is what they mean in Mexico. Cute little things, I got a few partly because I like buying hand made stuff from regular people and get few opportunities. Tons of them on Etsy.

il_fullxfull.868410217_9w24.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sorry. It is confusing because that is the name for that style of whisky glass (usually with slightly straighter sides) but this is what they mean in Mexico. Cute little things, I got a few partly because I like buying hand made stuff from regular people and get few opportunities. Tons of them on Etsy.

View attachment 67923
Since we're mostly scotch drinkers here, you could've said, "A quaich will do just fine."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wow, from getting my eyes opened on aged tequilas, this is a whole 'nother look at agave. I'm going to check out some mezcals at the local Total or Stews! If I can post it I had a mezcal marguarita in Carmen de Playa last week that used smoked Rosemary as well.

It is a rabbit hole for some. I like them, but mostly as a pleasant summer sipper and more interesting replacement for tequila. But the people that get into them can really geek out. It's made by hand. So once you get past the common ones made to a consistent profile (like Fidencio Classico) they are going to tell you agave type, who made it, how it was crushed, type of still, where the agave came from, batch size and all sorts of info. It can be pretty bespoke stuff. Note the labels.

Vago.jpg

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It is a rabbit hole for some. I like them, but mostly as a pleasant summer sipper and more interesting replacement for tequila. But the people that get into them can really geek out. It's made by hand. So once you get past the common ones made to a consistent profile (like Fidencio Classico) they are going to tell you agave type, who made it, how it was crushed, type of still, where the agave came from, batch size and all sorts of info. It can be pretty bespoke stuff. Note the labels.

View attachment 67924
I was inspired to pick up a bottle of Bozal cenizo, single maguey from the NH state store on our way home. Clay bottle, simple cork. I'll give it a try this week!

Reaction Score
For the summer months-- The Cristalino expression of tequila is a refreshing choice that I enjoy. Basically an anejo that has been filtered so as to eliminate the char/oak/wood/color of the anejo expression. Not as popular as the other expressions but worth a try

Think of it as a clear anejo because it has been aged for a similar amount of time.A sipper in the right vessel.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was inspired to pick up a bottle of Bozal cenizo, single maguey from the NH state store on our way home. Clay bottle, simple cork. I'll give it a try this week!

Let us know what you think.

Reaction Score
I’ve done it. Your new bible.

Scotch:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 - Port cask; quite good. Will Replace.
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - Sampler, replaced by the 14.
Glenmorangie The Original - Unremarkable.
Glenmorangie Lasanta - Good, but not buying again.
Glenmorangie Nector Dor - Same.
Glendronach Revival 15 - Very good, but no longer my taste.
Glendronach Original 12 - Nothing special.
Lagavulin 16 - Enjoyed it, but am over the peated scotches. Not replacing.
Laphroaig Triple Wood - Same. Tastes like a sweet complex ashtray.
Balvenie Caribbean Cask - Loved the first bottle, hated the second.
Balvenie Double Wood 12 - Oak. Nuff said.
Bunnahabhain 12 - Not offensive but the bottle is being swapped.
Aberlour 12 - Really disappointing. Also being swapped.
Aberlour A’Bunadh - Spend more and buy this over the 12. Very nice.
Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - Deck scotch.
Johnny Walker Black Label - Fine.
Monkey Shoulder - Buy this instead of the last two. Quite a bargain.
Macallan 12 - Amazed anyone likes this. Just beyond dull.
Glenfiddich Fire and Cane - Blech.

Japan:

Nikka Coffey Malt - Very good. If it’s $30 more, buy the Grain instead.
Nikka Coffey Grain - Great. Cheap.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt - Think you guys would like this.
Nikka from the Barrel - Good, but not likely buying again.

Ireland:

Green Spot - Honestly, nearly perfect.
Red Spot - Actually, perfect.
Blue Spot - Actually, better than perfect.
Redbreast 15 - Disappointing.
Redbreast 12 - Disappointing.
Redbreast Lustau - Somehow, wonderful.
Jameson - Bargain, but stretch for the Green Spot.
Jameson Caskmates Stout - Another bargain.
Connemara 12 Year - A peated Irish. Not my taste.
Writers Tears - Unremarkable. Buy Jameson instead and save $5.
Bushmills - Deck whiskey.

India:

Amrut Single Malt - I would use it to kill ants.

America:

Slaughter House American Whiskey - It’s actually bourbon, I think. Yuck.
Breckenridge Port Cask - Interesting. Rye comes out more here. Recommended.
Breckenridge Rum Cask - Love it.
Westland Sherry Wood - Definitely buy again.
Balconies Texas Single Malt - High-proof, would buy again.
Balcones Lineage - Lower proof. Not remarkable.
Virginia Distillery Courage and Conviction - Excellent. Total Wine has 50ml samples.
Virginia Distillery Cider Cask - $15 less than C and C. Like C and C a lot more.
Westward Single Malt - Excellent. Will buy it if I can find it.
Stranahan’s Diamond Peak - Maybe stick with the regular Stranahans.
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt - Awful.

Bourbon:

Buffalo Trace - Bad
Eagle Rare - Bad
Wilderness Trail Bourbon - Really bad
Gentleman Jack - Slightly less bad. But still bad.

Rye:

Copper Fox Rye Whiskey - Eh....coming around on this one.
First of all.. An impressive and exhaustive list.. Not sure I could have survived this challenge.

Serious question and not meant to sound elitist by virtue of price point.. And because your spirits palette is more advanced than mine.. How do you like Johnny W Blue?

Will probably try your deck scotch.. Especially heading into summer months.

Thanks for putting in the time to share your journey.

Reaction Score
Inspired by @Fishy

I just went back to an old journal and found my Scotch list from 2009. I look at this list now and at today's prices and I wouldn't be able to afford most of them! My cabinet is much more modest today than it was then, but I still have some of those Scotches from the list. As you can see, Islay dominates, and although some of the non-Islay bottles were gifts, I did buy and enjoy some of the other regions' Scotches.

Ardbeg 10 YO
Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist
Balvenie 15 YO Single Barrel
Benromach 22 YO Port Pipe Finish
Caol Ila 18 YO
Chivas Regal - A Century of Malts
Chivas Regal 18
Compass Box Oak Cross
Cragganmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Glenfiddich 15 YO - Solera
Glenlivet 16 YO - Nadurra
Glenlivet 18 YO
Glenmorangie 12 YO - Portwood Finish
Highland Park 18 YO
Johnnie Walker Black 12 YO
Johnnie Walker Blue
Johnnie Walker Gold 18 YO
Johnnie Walker Green - 15 YO
Lagavulin 16 YO
Laphroaig 10 YO
Laphroaig 10 YO Cask Strength
Laphroaig 15 YO
Laphroaig 30 YO
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Macallan 10 YO Fine Oak Finish
Murray McDavid Laphroaig 1987 "Leapfrog"
Scapa 14 YO
Scott's Bottling - Bruichladdie 1986
Signatory Bottling - Caol Ila 1990
Talisker 18 YO

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not posting a full list. I just checked and I have 129 reviews of Scotches on r/Scotch on Reddit. Stopped about a year ago. I record them in OneNote. Many of those are ordinary Original Bottlings, but quite a few are Independent Bottlings. Some were blind. Many of my favorites have been one off bottles I can't really buy again. If you go to Edinburgh, I'd suggest stopping at Cadenhead's (there are other locations). It's a shop on the bottom of the royal mile, and they are both a huge independent bottler and owner of some very good distilleries, especially Springbank. They have "living casks" available, basically an infinity cask concept, by region. Highland, Islay, Campbelltown, etc. The Campbelltown living cask they bottled for me was astonishing, and at a very fair price.
  • Talisker 10 - pretty much my house Scotch. Always replace it. Peppery, sea spray, just a kiss of peat.
  • Lagavulin 8 and Ardbeg Wee Beastie - budget heavily peated offerings I like
  • Oban Little Bay, Compass Box Great King Street Artists, Glen Grant 12 - budget non peated choices
  • Benromach 10, Tobermory 12 - mid priced unique profiles but I like both
  • Kilkerran 12 - mid priced, slightly peated, very good
  • Laphroaig Cairdeas and Ardbeg Uigeadail - peated choices around $75
  • Glendronach 12 - Solid sherry cask mid price
  • Edradour Sherry Cask - my favorite as we approach $100. The peated version, Ballechin is also superb. Ultimate Whiskey Company bottling best value.
  • Tamdhu Cask Strenth - the top OB sherry bomb around $90-100. Better than Ardbeg A'bunadh, cheaper than Glendronach 18.
  • Bunnahabhain 18, Talisker 18 - terrific and usually available if expensive.
  • Longrow Red - these vary but is my top choice around $125. Often higher now.
Beyond that you're in special territory really. I think I have this as my only 10/10. Bruichladdich HB 90 / 27 years – Bruichladdich Distillery If you love peat, maybe the Octomores. I've had some Black Arts, those are good, not worth the price. There are lots of good IBs. The Springbank single casks from wine/port casks can be amazing. I'm probably going to grab a Springbank 15 from a local shop soon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First of all.. An impressive and exhaustive list.. Not sure I could have survived this challenge.

Serious question and not meant to sound elitist by virtue of price point.. And because your spirits palette is more advanced than mine.. How do you like Johnny W Blue?

Will probably try your deck scotch.. Especially heading into summer months.

Thanks for putting in the time to share your journey.

First, I have the palette of a three-year old. I have Cheerios for dinner twice a week. Pretty sure that simplicity carries over into Scotch, beer and everything else.

Honestly, I have never tried Johnny Walker Blue. No particular reason why, I just haven’t.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
First, I have the palette of a three-year old. I have Cheerios for dinner twice a week. Pretty sure that simplicity carries over into Scotch, beer and everything else.

Honestly, I have never tried Johnny Walker Blue. No particular reason why, I just haven’t.

Don’t bother, unless it’s free. It’s fine, but not remotely worth the price tag. The Red is undrinkable. I did get to try really old JW Red from the early 80s and it was much better than the current stuff side by side. But still worse than Black. Agree with you that Monkey Shoulder is the right choice for a cheap blend.

Reaction Score

I like to say that I have the palette of a billy-goat. I like what I like, and I do pay attention to my own tasting notes, but I rarely taste the odd things that experts taste.

That said, I was given a bottle of Johnnie Blue by my brother-in-law when I turned 50, and to me, it's average and not worth the price. I'm a fan of JW Black and a huge fan of Johnnie Walker Green. They both have hints of the Island whiskys in them. The Gold and the Blue just don't do it for me. The Double Black was OK, but seemed to be peated for the sake of being peaty, and wasn't balanced. I felt the same way about Compass Box Peat Monster. You can say you make the peatiest whisky on the planet, but if it tastes like a burnt rope, it doesn't appeal to me.

I rarely buy blends, but with the price of singlemalts skyrocketing, I may have to try this Monkey Shoulder.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like to say that I have the palette of a billy-goat. I like what I like, and I do pay attention to my own tasting notes, but I rarely taste the odd things that experts taste.

That said, I was given a bottle of Johnnie Blue by my brother-in-law when I turned 50, and to me, it's average and not worth the price. I'm a fan of JW Black and a huge fan of Johnnie Walker Green. They both have hints of the Island whiskys in them. The Gold and the Blue just don't do it for me. The Double Black was OK, but seemed to be peated for the sake of being peaty, and wasn't balanced. I felt the same way about Compass Box Peat Monster. You can say you make the peatiest whisky on the planet, but if it tastes like a burnt rope, it doesn't appeal to me.

I rarely buy blends, but with the price of singlemalts skyrocketing, I may have to try this Monkey Shoulder.

You nailed it. Blue is boring as hell. This may help for anyone who wants to understand the differences in JW. Why Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky Doesn’t Deserve Its Bad Rap - Eater Green is really the only one I'd consider buying, and then only on sale.

Compass Box Great King Street -Artists blend is another good cheap blend like Monkey Shoulder, and the "Marrying Casks" if you find one, are quite solid. Unpeated Compass Box is almost always going to be Clynelish heavy, so if you like those, Clynelish 14 might be worth trying. I love that CB tells you exactly what is in everything.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Red is undrinkable. I did get to try really old JW Red from the early 80s and it was much better than the current stuff side by side. But still worse than Black. Agree with you that Monkey Shoulder is the right choice for a cheap blend.
Interesting, because I used to think JW Red was decent and in the 80s and 90s it was my blend of choice (I far preferred it to Dewar's, which I thought was thin and boring). But now I don't like it, and I like the JW Black much better (I have a client who drinks it, and I usually join him when we are dining together). But like @storrsroars , my house blend for the past couple decades has been Famous Grouse. I guess I should check out Monkey Shoulder and see how it compares.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom